PDA

View Full Version : Simple, no nonsense diet for weight gain?

BigEeezee
11-08-2004, 08:57 PM
OK, I would like to humbly introduce myself to these boards, and as my first act of membership, ask for help.

Here's how it goes:

I'm a senior in high school. I'm about 6'1"/6'2" and weigh anywhere between 157 and 163 pounds in an average day. I like to think of myself as strong but everyone considers me skinny (because of my height). Naturally I want to get bigger. My arms are pretty strong as it is, I could use a little forearm and tricep work. My big thing is I'd like a larger chest/shoulders/back. I've got the excercises going but know absolutely nothing about nutrition. In fact, my diet sucks big time. I eat tons of junk food and often eat in bunches, like all of one thing. I'd like to start eating healthier. I don't know if it's important, but I have the fastest metabolism of anyone I know. I can eat a bag of funyuns before dinner, then eat dinner, and not gain a pound.
I'd like to weigh 175 or so (about a 15 pound increase) and I have little body fat (let's keep it that way!).

Could someone draw up a simple, easy to follow diet regimen for me to follow? I don't need an uber-extreme protien binge, I just want something so I'll see results from lifting.

Vido
11-08-2004, 09:03 PM
It's unlikely anyone will take the time to make you a diet. Look at the "What a bodybuilder eats" sticky at the top of this forum (you said you wanted to start eating healthy) and draw up your own meal plan. You can see other people's diets either in this section or in some of the journals.

The big thing is I guarantee you're not eating enough. Maybe you do have a fast metabolism, but that doesn't mean you can't gain weight, it just means you have to eat more to gain weight. Start tracking your calories and you'll know 2 things. First, you'll probably discover you're not eating as much as you think. Second, you'll get an idea of how many calories you need to start gaining weight.

fen2zla
11-08-2004, 09:26 PM
What Vido said + dont concentrate on one or 2 parts of your body. Work it as a whole. ie. Work legs as well

BigEeezee
11-09-2004, 05:03 AM
OK, i'll take a look at that. It wasn't so much a meal plan, I was just looking for general guidelines. Like, eat more portien/carbs, eat more vegetables/less starches etc. I know I won't follow a plan like that every day, but if i can concentrate on a food group it would be easier.

Vido
11-09-2004, 11:42 AM
1g protein/lb bodyweight
20-30% of calories from fat (try to make the fats as healthy as possible)
the rest carbs

If you don't count calories, don't expect optimal results.

Mr. ?
11-09-2004, 12:04 PM
1g protein/lb bodyweight
20-30% of calories from fat (try to make the fats as healthy as possible)
the rest carbs

If you don't count calories, don't expect optimal results.

Couldn't agree more. The only time I consistantly notice an increase in body weight is when I consistantly monitor my calorie intake. If I quit for week or so I usually notice no gain. I may think I am eating enough but when I think back I can see that I have not eaten enough.

I am 6'-1" and weigh 151lbs. I weighed around 135 about 4 months ago. My daily calorie goal is at least 3000 cal. I also make sure I take in a minimum of 150g protein daily. I work out 4 times a week religiously. Stop eating junk food (soda, candy, snack cakes etc...) This is what I did and I not only feel healthier but have more lasting energy throughout the day. Eat plenty of meat and foods high is carbs (oats, potatoes, breads, pastas...) accompanied by your workouts and you will be there in no time. :thumbup:

BigEeezee
11-09-2004, 12:55 PM
perfect-thank you a bunch. Exactly what I wanted!