PDA

View Full Version : Bulking: Gaining the right type of weight and how much?

janzik
11-08-2001, 09:39 AM
During my bulking phase, how much weight should I be gaining? Yes I know YMMV, but Im not even sure of what a good average to look towards when weighing myself. Also for bulking, how does everyone tailor their diets/food intake to lean towards the "good" weight instead of "bad" weight (excess fat)? Is it just a matter of continuing to eat what I've been eating for my regular fitness and just eat a helluvalot more of it (grilled chicken breast/brown rice/MRP/eggwhites/etc)?

Tryska
11-08-2001, 09:40 AM
a clean bulk is the best bulk in my opinion.....but how much weight do you want to gain? if you set a goal, that might help.

Wizard
11-08-2001, 09:44 AM
You should aim for 1-2 pounds per week.Anything more means that you're gaining fat.

Big Show
11-08-2001, 09:46 AM
But I think that a good guideline is something along the lines of 1-2lb a week.

janzik
11-08-2001, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
a clean bulk is the best bulk in my opinion.....but how much weight do you want to gain? if you set a goal, that might help.

Well, my big thing is that, in my process to lose massive amounts of weight(fat), I went from 295 to 185 in about a year, so in the process Im sure I lost a bit of muscle. I'm not looking to be 295 with sub 5% bodyfat, but I mean a decent size. I'd be happy being between 200 and 230 with sub 12% bf. Of course those are arbitrary numbers, but kinda my guess to where Id like to be.

Tryska
11-08-2001, 09:58 AM
so, why not aim for say 200 at 10%?

what's your BF at currently? if you get your bf to where you want it, then you can bulk, while monitoring to keep it in check, you know what i mean?

janzik
11-08-2001, 10:06 AM
Well, I have that bodyfat scale, and I know I need to take it with a grain of salt, it ranges between 17%-19% depending on what time of day. So suffice to say I still have a bit of fat on me... so I'm skinny-fat, eh?

Tryska
11-08-2001, 10:09 AM
hmm....yeah......you might want to cut some more fat off, and then try to bulk a little leaner, otherwise, you might bulk back up only to realize your BF s now in the high 20s you know what i mean? I would invest in calipers too, btw.

someone else might have better advice then me on this though, since i have no experience bulking. but i would think you wouldn't want to get as much fat off you first, before going about adding muscle back on.

Laertes
11-08-2001, 03:35 PM
I want to know basically the same thing, if anyone out there reads this. I want to "clean bulk" (whatever that means). I'm at a body fat percentage I'm happy with (7% or just below) and like my definition. I just want to put on 10 pounds or so of lean mass.

So, I don't want to steal this question from janzik, but is it just a matter of eating clean, but only more now? My diet was really low in fat, and I'm trying to cycle more in. And I'm watching my body fat levels. Anything else I (or janzik) should be doing?

Wizard
11-09-2001, 02:45 AM
Well,it depends on what you mean by the phrase "clean bulk"..

You will anyway increase your fat mass while you'll be bulking but if you will be following a smart nutrition/training schedule,you will increase your muscle mass too.If your muscle mass increase is quite bigger than the fat mass increase,then your bodyfat will at least remain the same no matter if you gained both muscle mass and fat mass.

However you know that it's something very tough to achieve via a "natural pathway" because a small increase in the fat mass will lead to a noticable increase in the bodyfat percentage.

The most important thing you can do,is to prepare yourself psychologically and decide whether you'll be able to feel comfortable without the great definition you used to have and tell to yourself that you'll achieve the cut look again in the future but then you'll have more muscles to show and thus a more impressive result than before starting the bulking program.

It's all about your self-esteem and confidence.