PDA

View Full Version : The Barbell Front Squat By Maki Riddington - November

Joe Black
11-10-2004, 05:32 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=167

Discuss away!

ryuage
11-11-2004, 03:27 AM
good article... I find having my arms crossed in #1 the only way I can do em... in #2 my wrists start to hurt and I need to stop the set before my legs even give out... is there anyway to prevent this besides... uh making my wrists more flexible? :)

Maki Riddington
11-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Nope. If you lack the flexibility maybe you should invest some time into this area?

FortifiedIron
11-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Gary Valentine has a great article coming out at 'some' other site ;) that discusses the proper rack for the clean and discusses how to fix them. Some interesting stuff when trying to learn how to properly rack a clean and does apply in front squatting with a clean grip.

Kc

ryuage
11-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Nope. If you lack the flexibility maybe you should invest some time into this area?

how do you suppose I do that besides actually performing it that way... which I try and do at least a set, but terminate it due to my wrist feeling like they are gonna break off... :D

Bruise Brubaker
11-13-2004, 03:47 PM
In my opinion picture 2 is the best one, except the guy needs to take a wider grip which will make it easier to have the bars in the hand. The required flexibility comes over time by practicing the exercise.

When I used a crossed grip the bar would tend to roll and the bar felt heavier. Picture 3 is what happened when I used the form on picture 1.

Maki Riddington
11-13-2004, 05:41 PM
The required flexibility comes over time by practicing the exercise.

Of course, if people paid more attention to stretching the wrist flexors and strengthening their wrist extensors the OL style grip would be achievable.

HobbesAB
11-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Nice article. Like ryuage, I did Front Squats as shown in Pic #1. Now that my knee is feeling better, I'll slowly incorporate them back into my training.

Question: What are the advantages (if any) to using the Olympic style position versus the cross-armed style?

ryuage
11-14-2004, 06:23 AM
preferance...

JSully
11-14-2004, 03:55 PM
I find that using the olympic style I can go heavier. I only keep my first 2 fingers on the bar when doing them olympic style. I mainly use them just to keep the bar from rolling forward. When I use the crossed arm stile the bar rolls forward and I find myself having to use more concentration on keeping my arms up than doing the actual exercise. I used to do them cross armed, and when I got up to 275x6 it started to slide down my arms. So I've readjusted the way I did them and now use the olympic grip. I'm at 225x8 and gradually working back up. I don't have to concentrate on holding the bar as much anymore either. It does pain my wrist a little bit but I suck it up and do it anyways. I think that the olympic grip will be better in the long run.

Achille
11-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Nice article. I tried front squat with crossed arms today and although i didnt go nearly half as heavy as the regular one, I felt the biggest burn in the quads ever. I will definately incorporate it in my leg workouts.

SirRepAlot
12-11-2004, 04:21 PM
going from back to front squats really shows how much leg work you're really doing in your backsquats ... I went 35% down... on the upside, quads are better, ass smaller, and i can go heavier on the deads that before ... gotta love that :o)