PDA

View Full Version : a little research on atkins diet

muscle chic
11-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Ok, I guess my friend was doing the whole diet wrong. She restricted carbs 100 % and lived on fatty meats and cheese. After looking into the Atkins diet I see it's simply low carb dieting. Allowing 20 carbs a day for 2 weeks and then adding in 5 carbs a day until you're only losing a pound a week and eventually you end up with about 60-100 grams of carbs. So it's just Low carb eating not No carb. I know myself when I eat very low carbs I drop the fat quick!!

GMCtrk
11-10-2004, 09:14 PM
atkins diet pisses the hell out of me.

Titanium_Jim
11-10-2004, 09:39 PM
atkins diet pisses the hell out of me.
:withstupi

snow
11-11-2004, 12:55 AM
I coulda sworn I read in my nutrition course awhile back that you had to have like a minimum of 100g's of carbs daily before things started going very downhill for you?

Atkins was an idiot.

EviscerationX
11-11-2004, 02:13 AM
You have to put your body into ketosis if you're doing the diet correctly, so that your body primarily burns fat for energy. (This diet is also known as the "ketosis" diet). You have to be on little or no carbs to achieve this state, which is detrimental to your mental and physical health. It's meant to be a short-term diet, as it is very unhealthy. The coined phrase "Atkins for Life" is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Actually, your research isn't all that bad, but you left out some points: http://atkins.com/howto/

The 20 grams a day thing is correct...and you do this for a while, until you're at the weight you want to be. And then you slowly add 5 grams a week until you've reached a point where you're not losing weight anymore, but not gaining either. And every person has their own level of this, so 60-100 grams isn't for everyone.

This whole thing is unhealthy and meticulous, and would be just as effective as watching your ideal caloric intake. If you're going to be hardcore with Atkins, you might as well be hardcore with a diet that's healthy for you from the beginning.

snow
11-11-2004, 02:21 AM
I wasn't saying you needed a minimum of 100g's of carbs a day to do the Atkins diet, I was saying I thought that my book said you need at least 100g's a day to stay on the healthy, functioning side of life.

EviscerationX
11-11-2004, 02:27 AM
I wasn't saying you needed a minimum of 100g's of carbs a day to do the Atkins diet, I was saying I thought that my book said you need at least 100g's a day to stay on the healthy, functioning side of life.Read above, I edited my post, because I hit submit before realizing I was coming off as an @ss =) Sorry...

And yes...your body needs a minimum of at least 60 to perform basic neuromuscular and bodily functions. Your brain almost runs on mostly carbs. When you're doing Atkins, your body uses ketone bodies in your blood, and uses the fat for energy, but is about a million times less efficient then good, healthy carbs. Carbohydrates are an essential part of the human body's normal daily functions, and when you deprive it of the essential nutrients it needs, it will treat you like crap...

muscle chic
11-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Yes, I agree it's unhealthy. I was just making a statement. I eat my oatmeal and drink milk ect. I guess what I was trying to say is low carb is ok but no carbs is not. I take in 65 carbs a day and I consider it low carb. I only posted this thread because of another one that started "Atkins Anyone" I believe in eating healthy for life not for a quick fix.

ryuage
11-11-2004, 09:45 AM
its easy to see how you lose weight... think about it, you are practically limiting your food choices and thus eating less... not to mention for some people it gets redundant you just end up eating less overall over the course of the diet. no magic to it really.

muscle chic
11-11-2004, 10:42 AM
I don't know about that because my 200 pound friend dropped the pounds fast and she was eating hotdogs, hamburgers, eggs, cheese and didn't hold back!!

LightningandIce
11-11-2004, 11:20 AM
As stated, it works but it isn't very healthy. And think about the cholesterol. Eating all meat and cheese will make it skyrocket, and limiting your carbs means limiting the monounsaturated fats that lower it. What good is decreasing your weight if you decrease your health at the same time?

muscle chic
11-11-2004, 11:39 AM
As stated, it works but it isn't very healthy. And think about the cholesterol. Eating all meat and cheese will make it skyrocket, and limiting your carbs means limiting the monounsaturated fats that lower it. What good is decreasing your weight if you decrease your health at the same time?

If you read what I wrote you would see I said it's unhealthy!!!

JeffWillConquer
11-11-2004, 11:51 AM
It's not the diet that pisses me off, but the misconceptions that everyone seems to have about it. But I guess the same applies for any diet.