PDA

View Full Version : Please help many general question

deek164
11-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Well here is my story. I have about a year to get into better shape(nothing like a time frame for motivation).

I posted questions on another well known forum and people were really mean told me to read this read that. The problem is what they told me to read gave me many different options and at the end I was more confused than before.

My Goal: I want to take a Police officer exam and need to be in better shape so I can pass the test.

My current specs: I am 5'10" 230(down from 265)

I need help on a diet that will allow me to loose weight and build muscle. I also need some advice about exercise.

To go from 265 to 230 I did a low carb diet, but I lost too much muscle and was unable to gain muscle when I was on it.

So I would like help with a diet plan that will allow me to build muslce and lose fat.

I am going to be working out at home so I will tell you the equipment I have:

1) a home gym
2) a weight bench
3) a recumbant bike

My largest problem is diet I dont know what to eat.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am not looking for a quick fix I want to make a lifestyle change. Thank you for your time.

Derrick

trich daddy
11-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Firstly, welcome to the forum.

I'm no expert, but I think it would be beneficial to attempt to build muscle straight off. You will probably be able to lose weight at first while gaining muscle/strength at the same time. Design yourself a strength workout with cardio either after your weights or on separate days.

As far as eating, I would concern myself mostly with eating lots of protein (eggs, milk, chicken fish, beef, etc.). Just lay off the junk and make every meal have a purpose. Stick to complex carbs and say 'fukk you' to sugar. Good luck, and stick with it ;)

ectx
11-12-2004, 08:33 AM
I'm moving this to diet. You'll get more help there.

JeffWillConquer
11-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Someone get the grocery list.

JeffWillConquer
11-12-2004, 09:51 AM
NM I got it.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

All the foods you could ever need.

Vido
11-12-2004, 01:17 PM
At 5'10 230lbs either you're jacked, or you're carrying some extra fat around. I'm guessing that seeing as you don't know much about diet, and the fact that you already lost 35 lbs, it's probably the latter.

If you've never worked out before, or are coming back after a length lay off, then you have a chance at building muscle and losing fat at the same time by eating around maintenance calories, and timing your nutritional intake around your workouts.

On the other hand, if you've been working out for a while, you need to pick one or the other (cut or bulk). If you can't see your abs, the answer is quite clear. IMO you should end a bulk at around the time your abs start disappearing, which implies that you'd have to have them showing reasonably well in the first place because you are inevitably going to gain some fat on the bulk.

deek164
11-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Yes I 100% need to cut. So my best bet is go on a calorie restricted diet?

How do I figure out how many calories I need?

Derrick

deek164
11-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Never mind i just saw this on the "shopping list"

I do not understand this:

Calorie Counting Formulas:
Mesomorphs: bodyweight x 15
Ectomorphs: bodyweight x 16-17
Endomorphs: bodyweight x 13-14

Which one is best for me?

Derrick

Vido
11-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Those are generic formulas based on somatotype (body type). In a very generalized manner, those translate to guy who puts on muscle easily, "hardgainer", and guy who puts on fat easily. The problem is that most people are a combination of the 3 somatotypes, and other factors are involved in one's ability to burn fat as well. You can use a generic formula like that as a starting point, but the only way to determine YOUR caloric needs are to track what you're eating for at least a 2-week period and see whether or not you've gained weight, lost it, or stayed the same. At this point, you then adjust accordingly.

Rex
11-13-2004, 10:30 AM
:withstupi

Exactly what Vido says. Track/count cals over a two week period. Weigh yourself weekly. Adjust cals in increments of 300 - 500 based upon your results.