PDA

View Full Version : calcium

pbsteve09
11-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Iím not sure if calcium is directly related to lifting....however if thereís not enough calcium in ones diet it leads to osteoporosis, poor bone structure, etc etc....but what if there is too much calcium?

Mercuryblade
11-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Calcium regulates muscle contractions, if you are really interested look up tropomyosin in a search engine, but basically its a protein that blocks the binding sites of ATP in your muscle, and Ca++ (a ionized form of calcium) binds to another protein that holds the the tropomyosin in place,

Vido
11-12-2004, 05:41 PM
I read that very high doses of calcium improve fat loss...no idea how or why, or if it's true.

jcny19x
11-13-2004, 07:26 PM
I read that very high doses of calcium improve fat loss...no idea how or why, or if it's true.

I hate calcium deposits :swear: ! Is that a sign of too much calcium? Or just poor allocation of the calcium?

toughguywannabe
11-13-2004, 07:40 PM
u can only get overdose of calcium if u put in 5 times the RDA and the RDA is about 1200 mg/day it leads to tissue calcification.. thats what i learned in my nutrition class at least.. but yah calcium's first job is for muscle contraction, normal blood clotting, and 1 more thing, and if there is excess calcium it gets stored in the bones.. if u take in too little calcium ur body will take calcium out of ur bone and use it for muscle contraction etc... pretty cool huh?

crazedwombat
11-13-2004, 07:51 PM
which is why we're told to drink our milk for such strong bones.... got milk?

Titanium_Jim
11-14-2004, 01:27 AM
u can only get overdose of calcium if u put in 5 times the RDA and the RDA is about 1200 mg/day it leads to tissue calcification..
The locations in the world that are the most disease free of all places only had one thing in common. The people take in ~10,000 mg of calcium per day, because their water supply comes from glaciers or some other calcium-rich source. Now if you tried to do that, right after a day of normal calcium intake, you'd have problems, most likely stones of some sort. You don't want to be pissing little stones. If you very gradually increase your calcium intake, there is no limit on how much is good for you; it has been called the miracle mineral.

toughguywannabe
11-14-2004, 08:44 AM
maybe evolution had a role in ppl becoming okay with 10,000 mg of calcium a day but i think if the average American put in that much he'd probably have some problems.. but yes calcium imo is the most important mineral..

Titanium_Jim
11-14-2004, 03:02 PM
i think if the average American put in that much he'd probably have some problems
Isn't that exactly what I said?

John04Civic
11-14-2004, 03:54 PM
What is the recommended dosage of calicum a day for the average person and the bodybuilder?

pbsteve09
11-14-2004, 05:09 PM
im really not too sure....but i figured with strong bones other things would follow...so i figured id take an extra calcium supplement.

Titanium_Jim
11-15-2004, 02:18 PM
1g (1000mg) is the reccomended daily dosage for a 2000 cal diet. You could start with that, and bump it up a little bit every week or two, and it shouldn't be too hard on your kidneys or gall bladder. Try to get calcium tabs that have d3 and magnesium, to help you absorb more calcium.