PDA

View Full Version : How BAD is sugar for a bulking diet?

Ak47
11-13-2004, 03:00 PM
I drink juiceboxes (MANY of them) and sometimes have a little chocolate. Maybe I dont't know the facts but I'd like to be informed - so can someone please do just that? I want to know why sugar is bad for you, how much is bad and how it will effect a kind of clean bulking diet(most of the time its clean) I'm 5'6 125 pound ectomorph if anyone is wondering.

BCC
11-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Why it's bad for you? Because refined sugar is essentially poison to the body. Why it's bad for bulking is because it's highly glycemic triggering an insulin surge leading to unwanted fat storage.

Bruise Brubaker
11-13-2004, 04:04 PM
:withstupi

jcny19x
11-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Do you mean sugars in the form of high fructose corn syrup and regular table sugar? Yes, they can be bad in large amounts (due to high fructose content)/combined with high fat diets and lead to heart problems and increased cholesterol. I like chocolate though (in moderate amounts), good antioxidant!

ozzyman
11-13-2004, 07:25 PM
keep your sugars centered around your workouts and eat wheat and veggies the rest of the day for sugars.

toughguywannabe
11-13-2004, 08:02 PM
i have a question lets say ur insulin levels are high after u drink a coke how long would it take for ur insulin levels to drop.. and would the fructose in fruits be considered high glycemic?

agentplaya1
11-14-2004, 12:40 AM
fructose is generally low glycemic plus the fiber in fruits slows down digestion so you shouldn't worry too much about fruits giving you an insulin spike.

agentplaya1
11-14-2004, 12:46 AM
I drink juiceboxes (MANY of them) and sometimes have a little chocolate. Maybe I dont't know the facts but I'd like to be informed - so can someone please do just that? I want to know why sugar is bad for you, how much is bad and how it will effect a kind of clean bulking diet(most of the time its clean) I'm 5'6 125 pound ectomorph if anyone is wondering.

If you're an ectomorph you really don't need to worry about carbs. Just eat, eat, and eat some more. Juiceboxes and chocolate are fine but you should ALSO be making sure you're getting enough protein, at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, so you should be eating no less than 125 grams of protein a day. Stop worrying about juiceboxes and just make sure you're eating plenty of protein rich meals containing chicken, beef, tuna, eggs, milk.

txterry
11-14-2004, 03:56 AM
I'll repeat what BCC said:

Why it's bad for you? Because refined sugar is essentially poison to the body. Why it's bad for bulking is because it's highly glycemic triggering an insulin surge leading to unwanted fat storage.

Ak47
11-14-2004, 07:32 PM
If you're an ectomorph you really don't need to worry about carbs. Just eat, eat, and eat some more. Juiceboxes and chocolate are fine but you should ALSO be making sure you're getting enough protein, at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, so you should be eating no less than 125 grams of protein a day. Stop worrying about juiceboxes and just make sure you're eating plenty of protein rich meals containing chicken, beef, tuna, eggs, milk.

Alright, so a little chocolates not bad.. thanks :) And I do eat all those things, I've gained quite a bit for the little amount of time I've been lifting, thanks though.

agentplaya1
11-15-2004, 02:04 AM
I'll repeat what BCC said:

the dude is an ectomorph, he's not gonna be storing any fat from eating chocolate and juiceboxes. If anything the extra calories will help him if he's not able to gain weight. IDEALLY he should stick with complex carbs (except for morning and post workout) but he's an ecto, he's lucky he doesn't have to worry about carbs like others.

TOBART
11-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Ak47, I'm in the same situation as you for size. Asides from being bad for your health, anything with refined sugar likely doesn't have too many important nutrients. When I eat things with sugar, I get full. It takes up precious room in my stomach that could've been used for something beneficial.

Given, when I did eat anything in site earlier this year, my gains were just as good as they have been recently. I just feel a lot better now without any sugar in my diet.