PDA

View Full Version : Glycogen?

vegetapower
11-14-2004, 03:00 AM
What is Glycogen? What effect does it have on my body? How is it related to bodyweight? I have heard that the reason I gain like 8 pounds after eating at buffet places is because my Glycogen stores fill up, why is this? I also notice that my muscles look alot fuller after I eat lots of food but my stomach also looks enormous, Is there any way to make my muscles look full like this without my stomach looking huge?
Any replys are welcome.

getfit
11-14-2004, 03:25 AM
glycogen is a complex carb molecule produced from glucose in the liver and muscles when blood levels are high glycogen is broken down into lactic acid when it's used as an energy source in the liver and muscles

Rex
11-14-2004, 09:48 PM
Glycogen is basically a fancy name for glucose stored in the muscle. It is used by the body as an energy source. Glycogen undergoes a series of chemical reactions resulting in the production of ATP, the molecule that powers all of the bodies functions.

After you eat your blood sugar levels rise. That causes the secretion of insulin. Insulin facilitates the uptake of glucose into the bodies cells.

Vido
11-14-2004, 09:54 PM
...and a gram of glucose can hold 3g of water...that's what leads to the weight gains