PDA

View Full Version : How long before eating post-workout

Kosta
11-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Hey everyone,

Why should one wait at least an hour post-workout before eating?

Right after lifting I normally eat a banana and have a protein shake. Then I try to wait at least an hour before eating my dinner, but sometimes it's so late that eat right away. How bad is this?

Can someone explain the reason for the 1-hour rule?

Thanks,
Kosta

Ak47
11-14-2004, 07:47 PM
I dont think its that bad actually, you should include some sugar for an insulin spike. A protein shake isnt really a meal supplement, I have a protein shake and a meal post workout..

Vido
11-14-2004, 08:31 PM
You're supposed to eat RIGHT after a workout. The one hour thing you are talking about refers to after low intensity cardio.

roidaroonie
11-14-2004, 09:44 PM
My advice is to hit a protien shake AS SOON as possible after your workout, I like to mix about 70-80 grams of dextrose sugar right in with my shake. Occasionally, I'll drink a 20 oz. Coke instead of the dextrose right after my workout, but this is a once in awhile thing that I dont get accustomed to.

no regrets
11-15-2004, 08:46 PM
I too try to have my carbs, protein, sugar as soon as I get home from working out.

greekboy80
11-17-2004, 09:43 AM
hey man, its drink protien and simple carbs (dex, Malto) ASAP! then have a full meal about an hour after drinking those shakes. usually i wait about 45-60 min after having the post workout nutrition.

a good idea would be to make that next meal the biggest of the day to help with nutrient partitioning (sp?) and that 2 hour window that is given after a workout.

just my .02