PDA

View Full Version : Diet Input Please...

Irongame
11-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Hello all:

Please tell me when bulking how much fat(grams) should I be consuming daily in order to fulfill my nutrional needs, and if flax and Natty PB are sufficient sources?

Here are my current diet macros:

Stats: 6'0/185 pounds

Carbs: 300-325
Protein: 200-220
Fats:
42- (3 TBS from Flax alone)
24- 2 TBS Natty PB

Thank you.

Vido
11-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Your protein intake is fine.

Next, you need to determine how many total calories you want to be eating. 20-30% of these calories should come from fat.

Finally, the rest of your calories come from carbs.

You should try to get a variety of sources of fat (olive oil, fish oil, nuts), but those 2 alone aren't bad.

Irongame
11-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Hi Vido:

Thanks for your reply.

I'm currently consuming approximately 3000-3200 calories and I am finding that I am still not gaining. At those macro levels I mentioned earlier, any suggestions where exactly I should increase amounts, regarding calories, etc... Thanks.

Irongame
11-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Here is an example of my diet, please feel free to change how you see fit:

M1-

1/4 cup egg whites- 10 grams
1/2 cup oats
1 slice whole grain bread
1 scoop whey
1 cup nonfat milk
1tbs flax

M2-

4 scoops- Nlarge (post workout)
1 banana

M3-

3-5 oz chicken
3-4 oz wheat pasta or b-rice
1 slice whole grain bread
veggie
1 tbs flax
1 cup nonfat milk

M4-

3-4 scoops Nlarge
1 tbs natty PB

M5-

Chicken, Beef, turkey
rice or w. pasta
salad or veggie
1 tbs flax

M6-

1-2 scoops whey
1 cup milk
1 tbs natty PB
sometimes 1/4 oatmeal

Ak47
11-14-2004, 10:35 PM
multiply your weight by 18.5 to get how many calories you should be getting.

Irongame
11-14-2004, 10:39 PM
HI:

That's about 3422 calories. I seem to be very close to that. And where do I increase calories ( and how much) if I'm not putting on mass at those levels? Thanks.

Vido
11-14-2004, 10:47 PM
multiply your weight by 18.5 to get how many calories you should be getting.

Pulling numbers out of your ass never helped anybody. Those formulas are all generic, if 18.5 x bodyweight works for you then great, I guarantee it won't for 95% of the other people out there (some people will need less, others significantly more).

Vido
11-14-2004, 10:49 PM
3-4 scoops Nlarge
1 tbs natty PB

Don't have fat with high GI carbs...that's just asking for fat gain.

Vido
11-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Hi Vido:

Thanks for your reply.

I'm currently consuming approximately 3000-3200 calories and I am finding that I am still not gaining. At those macro levels I mentioned earlier, any suggestions where exactly I should increase amounts, regarding calories, etc... Thanks.

Try bumping that up to 3500. Like I said, you need more fat, so the majority of the extra cals can probably come right there. If you still have room for more cals after that, add more carbs.

Irongame
11-14-2004, 11:02 PM
Vido:

Regarding the fat increase, at my height/weight how many grams of fat should I be following, as I know that is has to be 20-30% daily? Also, do you recommend more than like 2 more tbs of flax or PB a day? I think that equates to about 400 calores or so more if its derived from Natty PB. At what point do I have to be concerned that too much good fats will cause fat storage, or do I? Thanks.

Vido
11-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Vido:

Regarding the fat increase, at my height/weight how many grams of fat should I be following, as I know that is has to be 20-30% daily? Also, do you recommend more than like 2 more tbs of flax or PB a day? I think that equates to about 400 calores or so more if its derived from Natty PB. At what point do I have to be concerned that too much good fats will cause fat storage, or do I? Thanks.

I worked it out, and 2-3tbsp more of whatever fat source should be good. That means you can add an extra 50g of carbs or so as well.

At the very basic level, bodyfat gain is directly related to how many total calories you are eating, not what macronutrient those calories are coming from. It is actually more complicated than that, but you need not worry about it at this point. If you're not gaining weight at the caloric level you're currently at, you're not going to all of a sudden become a huge mess from a 300-500 calorie increase.

Irongame
11-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Thank you for taking the time to calculate, I appreciate it. I will start to incorporate those changes in my diet tommorow. For some odd reason, I thought that the daily fat grams for my ratios should not exceed like 65-70 grams. I believe I used that body mass calculator on the EAS site when I was fist trying to determine my caloric requirements. It's amazing how misinformed I was.

Thanks for all the insight. I will keep you informed of my progress. Best of luck to you, Vido.