PDA

View Full Version : Help with a drinking cheat day

Shark
11-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Next Saturday is the Cal / Stanford Big Game and there's no way I can get out of drinking even though I just started cutting a week ago. I need some suggestions as to how to minimize the damage from the alcohol.

What should I drink, or rather, what is better to drink than other stuff. Should I stick to had liquor or beer, mix of both. Any particular kinds of booze that would be better for me?

I know I shouldn't drink but I am willing to have this as a cheat day. So that being said, what should I do?

Dirt
11-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Stick to hard liquor, mix it with diet soda or drink it straight. You could also try crystal light. Also stick to liquor around 40% alcohol (vodka, rum, bourbon, etc.) and avoid coolers (loaded with sugars and very little alcohol) and beer (loaded with carbs and calories). As far as your diet you can try to go low carb/low cal the day of (pehaps no carb) and then drink. You'll end up getting drunk faster with fewer calories in you so that will be a positive I suppose. One last thing to consider is how strong your willpower is after drinking. I don't particularly think the act of drinking is that damaging to a cut, moreso it's the messy eating while drunk/sobering up that kills you. Nothing kills a diet faster than a few late night meals at mcdonalds, an all-you-can-eat place or similar location.

no regrets
11-15-2004, 08:38 PM
I would go with vodka and diet cokes.

Vido
11-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Just drink what you want and get back on your diet the next day. When you start limiting your CHEAT days, you better be planning on stepping on stage.

Isaac Wilkins
11-16-2004, 03:56 PM
I agree with Vido.

One day out of seven isn't going to kill you, especially early in a cut.

If it's that big a deal to you, I like vodka and diet pepsi as was mentioned.

Severed Ties
11-16-2004, 05:49 PM
I do something between what dirt and Vido are recommending.....Always limit calories where can...diet soda, light beer, crystal light...etc

What really kills a diet is not so much the drinking but the 2 pizza's and wings that usually follow it down. Enjoy your cheat day, have a few drinks, even have a slice of pizza but don't go overboard and you'll be fine.

Conversely some times I like to go overboard and eat 2 whole pizza's on a cheat day and consume like 8-10K calories...that is fine also IF you have the mind set that you don't mind spending the next 7-10 days of your week dieting just to get BACK to where you were had you moderated your cheat day.

So it's really just a personal choice since your not on a scheule like with a competition so don't ever feel you can't eat something or as much of something. You just have to accept taking the time and effort to undo that cheat day. Which can make great motivation not to cheat and it can release you from any feelings of guilt when you do cheat.

ST

Maki Riddington
11-16-2004, 06:23 PM
I say go all out. If you've stayed on track all week then reward yourself. Keep yourself sane. It's not like you're going to lose .56789% less fat if you watch what you eat that day. Trying to minimize the damage you're going to submit your body to is like saying how do I take a corner at 100 miles and minimize the chances of damaging my car. It's pointless. It's gonna happen, so deal with it.:) Then move on.

Shark
11-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Sounds good. I think I will just try and stick to cleanish food and hard liquor. I don't really feel like i need a huge cheat day yet so I'll save that for later when i'm having trouble sticking with the diet. I figure i'll eat moderate and drink lots of hard liquor. I'll also make sure that sunday is a rest day so I don't ahve to worry about lifting. Cool, i'm excited. Go Bears!

remo
03-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Can I drink hard liqour one night and not consider that my cheat day...then drink beer for my cheat day? I love beer way too much to give it up...

mikren
03-18-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm with remo.

Vido
03-18-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm not with remo. I don't even understand the logic behind the question. Why would beer be a cheat, but hard liquor "wouldn't count"?

Drinking's fine, but trying to make up stupid rules to justify it isn't.

tholian8
03-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Drink what you like, but don't let it become an excuse for a total and complete pigout.

waynis
03-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Stick to hard liquor, mix it with diet soda or drink it straight. You could also try crystal light. Also stick to liquor around 40% alcohol (vodka, rum, bourbon, etc.) and avoid coolers (loaded with sugars and very little alcohol) and beer (loaded with carbs and calories). As far as your diet you can try to go low carb/low cal the day of (pehaps no carb) and then drink. You'll end up getting drunk faster with fewer calories in you so that will be a positive I suppose.

agreed. Avoid as much sugar and carbs when drinking. Straight up hard liguor is the way to fly. Someone mentioned before.. Anything over a certain proof contains no sugar and no carbs. BTW make sure you eat when you drink so your body doesn't start to use amino acids for fuel.

ryuage
03-18-2005, 02:17 PM
go ahead remo drink as much hard liqour every day as you so please. Then you can have a beer and call it a cheat as drinking hard liqour is ok for you :thumbup:

remo
03-18-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm not with remo. I don't even understand the logic behind the question. Why would beer be a cheat, but hard liquor "wouldn't count"?

Drinking's fine, but trying to make up stupid rules to justify it isn't.

Sorry, I saw how you mistook it..i was just making an attempt at a joke...my bad...

Roark
03-18-2005, 03:59 PM
i'm going to the heavy metal show with an old friend tomorrow night

and i plan on giving my liver quite the pummeling

yes yes yes