PDA

View Full Version : Uncooked Oatmeal

HalfDog
11-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Just curious as to the pros and cons of eating uncooked oatmeal straight out of the Quaker Oats container. Any drawbacks, will it be digested as well?

getfit
11-15-2004, 02:42 PM
NEVER HAD OATMEAL uncooked

geoffgarcia
11-15-2004, 02:44 PM
I would imagine it would digest slightly faster if it were cooked.
The whole point in cooking them is to soften it.

Dirt
11-15-2004, 02:56 PM
If you're talking about adding it straight to your mouth dry you won't get very far. Oats are like sponges, they'll suck up all the water in your mouth in a heartbeat and make it hard to swallow. You're better off taking a bowl of uncooked oats, putting water into it then letting them sit for a minute to soak up water and then eating them. The downside to eating "dry" oats or oats is that I find them to cause bloating after (Im talking about eating no less than 1 cup dry, so if you're eating less maybe it won't happen). You're better off just taking your oats, putting too much water in them, tossing them in the microwave for maybe 2 minutes on high so they're really runny and letting them cool a bit before drinking them. That is presuming the reason you want to eat them dry is to save time.

no regrets
11-15-2004, 08:40 PM
I know people who eat them dry with milk and they say it tastes pretty good. You can also add strawberries, raisins, etc.

GMCtrk
11-15-2004, 09:28 PM
I often wondering about eating raw oatmeal, but as someone has already said, I would probably choke on it LOL

akomabutisakama
11-15-2004, 09:29 PM
i do but it in my shake it not hard 2 eat

muscle chic
11-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Sounds kind of yucky uncooked.

Jabberwocky
11-15-2004, 10:09 PM
I mix it with natty pb, it's kinda like a oat bar. But not so good lol.

AKraut
11-15-2004, 10:31 PM
If you're talking about adding it straight to your mouth dry you won't get very far. Oats are like sponges, they'll suck up all the water in your mouth in a heartbeat and make it hard to swallow. You're better off taking a bowl of uncooked oats, putting water into it then letting them sit for a minute to soak up water and then eating them. The downside to eating "dry" oats or oats is that I find them to cause bloating after (Im talking about eating no less than 1 cup dry, so if you're eating less maybe it won't happen). You're better off just taking your oats, putting too much water in them, tossing them in the microwave for maybe 2 minutes on high so they're really runny and letting them cool a bit before drinking them. That is presuming the reason you want to eat them dry is to save time.

AHAHAHA, this post nearly doubled me over just making me think of drying to eat like a cup of dry oatmeal all at one time. Cottonmouth.

Maxgain
11-16-2004, 03:57 AM
If you eat oats raw mwke sure you get sufficient water in take around them as they are bulking agents and withour suff. water will act as cement in your intestines causing constipation for days

Psychotron
11-16-2004, 04:36 AM
lol. The thought of oats in liquid makes me queasy. :D
Dry all the way, but do not attempt:

without a good supply of liquid refreshment
before a date (or any situation where having things stuck in your teeth is not good)
if you're in a hurry
if you might be laughing while eating. Choking is uncool.

Eddan
11-16-2004, 05:16 AM
I often have raw oatmeal in shakes. It takes a while for them so get soft, perhaps twenty minutes or so, shaking it a bit speed that up. Once soft I just gulp it down.
It doesn’t taste too bad (at least not if together with the other things in the shake), it is great carbs, and best of all, no cooking involved ;-)

Pringlewheels
11-16-2004, 05:26 AM
I eat them straight in a bowl of milk?? I thought evreyone did this... You guys would suck in the jungle

PYRO
11-17-2004, 12:40 PM
I used to mix 1 scoop of raw oats, whey, pb in a blender, as a nice post workout shake..

getfit
11-17-2004, 01:10 PM
I eat them straight in a bowl of milk?? I thought evreyone did this... You guys would suck in the jungle
never knew oats grew in the jungle!

ryan-
11-17-2004, 01:21 PM
I eat oatmeal warm with milk in the morning, and then I eat dry blended oats at night in my shake. I used to only eat them dry in my shake. I have been getting a little constipated lately, do you think it's because of extra oatmeal, even though warm?

Ironrelic
11-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Good question. I'm trying grinding the dry oatmeal in a blender to a powder. Food processor probably would work better. Using couple of heaping table spoons of this home made 'oat powder' in different drinks. Bought the cheapest store brand; same nutrition grade as the Quaker brand.

Tried grinding a jar of dry roasted unsalted peanuts....works...sort of.....but the peanut oil kinda clogs up the blades.

Back in the gym after too many years layoff. Least the muscles have good memories; they're coming back fast.

BlingMeter
11-17-2004, 04:53 PM
i mixed 2 packets of uncooked oatmeal in my protein shake... I VOW to all of u guys, i will NEVER EVER do that again

ozzyman
11-17-2004, 10:03 PM
I put 1 cup of uncooked oats in every one of my protien shakes.. I let it sit in the milk for 5-10 minutes before blending to make my shake smoother... milk+oats+vanilla whey+banana+PB is very tasty IMO.....

BlingMeter
11-17-2004, 10:24 PM
i just dumped it in. used a mixer to mix the powder and drank it. iv never have so many chunkyness in my life. i wanted to die

ryan-
11-18-2004, 11:28 AM
BlingMeter, why are you taking Opticen and Thermocin at the same time? Seems to me you'd take Opticen to put on weight, granted it's mostly for protein but it has other carbs and calories, and Thermocin is for burning fat, right?

BlingMeter
11-18-2004, 11:34 AM
LOL to prove to everyone you can stay slim while bulkin and which i did. i took one bottle and only gained 1 lb in the month. I am off it now and am saving the other bottle for when i slim down in feb/march. Im not sure if i wanna cram 2500/3000cals all year long and take thermocin just to see what i can do. Since i got off of thermocin iv put on 10more lbs lol. I guess we will see what i do In a few months. I dont need no huge ripped abs. Just a nice visable pack will be nice. 4 hrs after breakfast i weighed in at 214.5 yikes!

Voxhumana
01-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I use the steel cut oatmeal, which is supposed to have a higher nutritional value because it is not heat processed to the same degree that rolled oats are. Rolled oats are also washed, removing some of the value.

With the steel cut oats, I take a small portion, an ounce or less, and grind in a clean coffee grinder, until it is like a powder. Several bursts in the grinder is enough.

I repeat the same procedure with uncooked quinoa. I add both to a blender and add one fruit (your choice, small apple, pear, half a banana), an ounce of unsweetened cranberry juice (100% juice, no additives, Trader Joe's is best source for this) and two ounces of milk. Add honey if you wish. Add flax oil if desired. Add ice for more liquid, or water, to produce 16 oz. drink.

This provides a very high protein/high fiber drink that's easily digestible and tastes fine. The idea of eating a cup of raw grain is disturbing. Think of the volume that would produce in your gut. A cup of raw will equal three cups of hydrated food.

Be sure to take sufficient liquid, by adding water enough to make at least 16 oz. of shake drink.

I have not had any bloating or gas from this preparation. It has reduced my cholesterol by 30 points.

Masako
01-13-2009, 09:18 PM
I've always cooked my oatmeal simply for the sake of making it softer and more palatable. I really can't see a problem with eating it right out of the container, but it would be awfully dry. http://photosnag.com/img/1927/y08m1110mhmd/2.gif

snow
01-11-2011, 08:50 PM
I know this is super old. . . but I have to say, VitaMix.

Get this product in your life.

I consume between 3 to 6 cups of uncooked oats per day.

I just blend random objects with the oats.

Oranges, bananas, or blueberries and a little water.

Your heart and colon thank you. :fart:

Phaleron
01-24-2011, 12:19 AM
I put my rolled oats directly in a bowl, add milk, some cinnamon, splenda, and a dash of salt, let it sit 5 minutes, then devour it.

beaverfootball
01-24-2011, 07:45 AM
I always eat raw oatmeal with a splash of water/milk/splenda/whatever.

I've done it a couple times dry but usually coupled with PB and honey or something similar as a bar with something to drink... always.

dukespcr
03-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Eating uncooked oatmeal takes time to enjoy the difference between cooked and uncooked. I personally enjoy it better than cooked. One of my favorites is to make my own granola and add it in addition to dried fruits and almonds, maple syrup and soy nuts..maybe even some flax seed. A favorite dessert of mine is to add it to a low fat- sugar free ice cream with wheat germ as a topping...ummm Sounds sooo good! You can't go wrong with oats and nutritionally speaking they are tops..

SDS
03-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Old thread! I've got a can of steel cut oats and I run them through the coffee grinder till they're almost powdery. I'll throw a tablespoon in my Nitrean every now and then. It's not too awfully unpleasant.

Alex.V
03-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Old thread! I've got a can of steel cut oats and I run them through the coffee grinder till they're almost powdery. I'll throw a tablespoon in my Nitrean every now and then. It's not too awfully unpleasant.

lol. yes indeed, old thread. Why would you use steel cut oats, if that's what you're doing?

SDS
03-17-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm using the steel cut oats because my mom gave me a big can of them LOL I'm not sure if they're better or worse than than the regular Quaker oats, but I think you get a lower glycemic index with these? But yea it's basically because they were free. I just grind the raw oats up and mix them into my protein. Makes good stool!

Alex.V
03-17-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm using the steel cut oats because my mom gave me a big can of them LOL I'm not sure if they're better or worse than than the regular Quaker oats, but I think you get a lower glycemic index with these? But yea it's basically because they were free. I just grind the raw oats up and mix them into my protein. Makes good stool!

hahaha, hey, you can't beat free. ;)

Nah, the glycemic index difference between steel cut and rolled has to do with the fact that steel cut tend to be harder to digest (and therefore slower release) because they're a solid groat. Once you blend them up, it's all the same... probably has the GI of flour.

Not that GI really makes much of a difference in real life anyway.

Auzzie
04-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Eating uncooked oatmeal takes time to enjoy the difference between cooked and uncooked. I personally enjoy it better than cooked. One of my favorites is to make my own granola and add it in addition to dried fruits and almonds, maple syrup and soy nuts..maybe even some flax seed. A favorite dessert of mine is to add it to a low fat- sugar free ice cream with wheat germ as a topping...ummm Sounds sooo good! You can't go wrong with oats and nutritionally speaking they are tops..

This is a random 1st post to contribute ????
not too keen on that dessert either! LOL