PDA

View Full Version : any wrestlers out there?

jazer80
11-16-2004, 10:39 AM
i got a question. i've changed my training recently, at the start of wrestling, so that i would focus on strength totally and minimize size gains. my reasoning here is that in wrestling we've always been told you want to compete as light as possible. i was just thinking i may have been doing it wrong all along. when i gain weight, i do not gain fat. maybe to a little degree, but i still have a deep six pack, so it's very minimal. anyways i've begun training w/ the 1-3 rep range, and have cut back on my daily caloric intake. the idea here is 1-3 reps shouldn't make my muscles grow as quickly, and cutting calories will definitely halt growth. should i try to get bigger, assuming i stay lean? i mean the higher the weight class, typically the higher the average bodyfat percentage, so the bigger i got at my bodyfat % the more of an advantage i'd have right?

kind of a two part / related question. what type of muscle is more useful in wrestling? should i train for low reps/explosive strength or higher rep/endurance strength or both (currently training once or twice a week in low rep weights, then 2 times weekly wrestling, 1 time weekly of 20 minutes high intensity boxing/situps/jump rope). because not all types of muscle weigh the same right?

last question. when i'm training low reps, am i making a growth in type II fibers or am i making my existing fibers more efficient/stronger? (i guess i'm just looking for the most strength efficient muscle / weight ratio, and on top of that i think i should be as large as possible considering i can keep my bodyfat real low.)

jazer80
11-19-2004, 05:14 PM
no wrestlers in wannabebig? surprising

AstronautJones
11-19-2004, 06:50 PM
I train BJJ/submission wrestling. I would say to get bigger so long as it doesn't hinder your endurance/performance. As for everything else, I would also like to know.

jazer80
11-20-2004, 03:37 PM
dude i like ur avatar, reno is one of my fav shows

bill
11-20-2004, 05:19 PM
I use to wrestle, but the best advice I can give would be go do a search and check out training methods of Iowa or some team like that.

Sudol
11-20-2004, 05:22 PM
I side with Bill , I too wreastled all through high school but never in college (junior now) but I do keep in shape though. Anyways check out either Iowa or the Naval Acadamey.

body
11-21-2004, 09:41 AM
I would do some big heavy compound movements like deads, over head press etc.
i would trian expolisvely as well.
then may be finish off with some higher reps 12-30 reps to none faluire with a short rest.
eg 20 press ups, rest 10 seconds, 20 pull downns. rest 20 sec. then 20 leg press. repeat this say 5 times. push the weight explosively. will give your muscle some good endruance and in a simialr manner to how you spar of short burst of energy,.

thoguh i trian BJJ and not wrestling, but asusming the cross over principles are the same for sparring.

jazer80
11-21-2004, 05:16 PM
thanks guys i'll look into iowa's training info. body, that's how i've been training; i've been pushing the weight up as fast as possible, then bringing it down slowly. also, depending on what type of lifting i'm doing, i'll do the quick rest and then another set. actually did that yesterday but subbed in boxing between sets, so it would be a set then a minute or two of boxing and so on. (is there a term for doing set after set w/o much / any rest?)

JTyrell710
11-21-2004, 05:22 PM
when you lift weights, you dont create new muscle fibers, only repair your existing ones, (3rd question response, sorta)- i think you're getting a little too scientific with your training if your thinkin muscle fiber types. Generally explosive movements help you out more with sports, but im not a wrestler, since you are im sure it'd be easy to figure out... do you need quick explosive bursts of strength for wrestling? yes or no. there ya go,
btw reno 911 is one of my fav shows, too- jus got the first season on DVD an i love it.

Tapper
11-22-2004, 04:11 PM
I also used to wrestle in jr and highschool, I also have done many years of grapling, martial arts and armwrestling, and yes you need short bursts of energy, but you need some really good endurance. If your good 1-2 and are just plum out of it in the 3rd, what good is your short burst. Doing a good crosstraining would be good, and ultimitly mastering your moves and build uncommon strenght for your favorite moves. And I would not train the same all the time, switch things up just so your body don't get used to the same thing.

But thats just my .02

jazer80
11-22-2004, 07:27 PM
ya it seems that the way to go is training for explosive and endurance strength. hopefully i'm accomplishing the endurance through wrestling practice and boxing, i'd imagine actually wretling is the best way to prep for it.
also i'm a big pinner, so even if i'm only good in the first two that'll prolly be enough because we are only a club sport, so we won't be wrestling varsity wrestlers :)

PizDoff
11-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Cool, good stuff.
Pretty much what they said.

You don't have to do 1-3 reps all the time, you can hit ten a couple times to keep growth coming, while eating maintainence cals to cut BF.

trooperplayer
11-22-2004, 09:47 PM
wait a minute so when you buid new muscle you dont build more fibers..... then check out mmickenly and what he said in my post http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=54200
who is rite?

johnnytang24
11-23-2004, 07:37 AM
Dr. Squat has an e-book on strength training for wrestlers. You may want to consider buying it, since it only costs like $5 and his writing is very sensical.

Thanks

jazer80
11-23-2004, 09:05 AM
who's that?

shootermcgavin7
11-23-2004, 10:02 AM
I wrestled back in high school, (and I doubt it has changed that much) My advice would be to gain as much muscle as you can without compromising endurance.

But the off-season is the time to gain size for that so it is really a little late, huh?

You can pretty much eat without fear until a few weeks before a match; those 3 hour practices from hell will keep you lean.

jazer80
11-23-2004, 10:37 AM
unfortunately my school doesn't have a varsity wrestling team. we're a club sport, so it's more like (3) 1.5 hour practices weekly. i was trying to gain as much as possible in the off season. i was really starting to get good momentum going as far as weight / strength gain, but i slowed down my eating when the season started, now i'm gonna ramp it back up again

shootermcgavin7
11-23-2004, 11:13 AM
I, personally, would leave carbs and protein high in-season and try to stay away from the fat.

I'm not a "low fat diet" junkie by any means, I love CKD; but while you're in-season you need to keep the calories fairly low, and you absolutely need the carbs and protein for matches.

AstronautJones
11-23-2004, 03:55 PM
but while you're in-season you need to keep the calories fairly low, and you absolutely need the carbs and protein for matches.

I'd say to keep cals fairly high, assuming you're doing a ton of cardio during practices. I don't see why you would keep cals low if you're trying to maintain during the season?

JTyrell710
11-23-2004, 04:37 PM
wait a minute so when you buid new muscle you dont build more fibers..... then check out mmickenly and what he said in my post http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=54200
who is rite?
:whip:
what who said? mmckinley/ he's saying since theyre bigger fibers.. you need less of them

shootermcgavin7
11-23-2004, 05:11 PM
I'd say to keep cals fairly high, assuming you're doing a ton of cardio during practices. I don't see why you would keep cals low if you're trying to maintain during the season?

Yeah, but try telling a high school wrestler that. Everything is by weight class, so there's a certain science to dehydrating the hell out of yourself the day before a match; weighing in at 7am the morning of a meet, and then stuffing yourself with carbs and water the rest of the day until that night.

Remember, the classes are by weight, not by bf%, so the lower you can get your weight while keeping muscle mass, the better are you end up being (depending on how tall you are).

I realize that this sounds rambling, but there is so much to it, there is not really a simple answer. Just remembering it makes me shudder. Definitely the hardest conditioning of any sport that I have ever played in my life.

Tapper
11-23-2004, 05:48 PM
:windup: :evillaugh You got that right brother, The training, is intence, way harder than football, You do a crap ton of drill, stupid little exersices (that work things you didn't know you had and never would think you would need for wrestling), Dude you need to get a partner that is in around 3 classes heaver than you and find somewhere to practice a couple of day a week, don't take ever match like a full match, that way you can really focus on some of the smaller things that will help out on game day. :whip:

jazer80
11-23-2004, 08:04 PM
i actually cut from 118lb (and i was scrawy then, crazy deep six pack) to 103lb so i coudl wrestle varsity as a freshman in HS. the thing is, when it's competitive, which i didn't really get to until my junior year HS, all the good kids, well most anyways, are cutting weight to be in a lower weight class. but everyone did it like crap. they would bounce up and down, cutting like 3 to 5 pounds in the days before a match. people like me, who weighed about 137/8, and wrestled at 140, could come out there w/ an intensity unmatched by some kid who weighed 144 and starved / dehydrated to make weight and just got to wolf down his first good meal in a couple of days.

trooperplayer
11-23-2004, 09:10 PM
ohh....mybAD