PDA

View Full Version : HIIT and Diet Modifications?

Tryska
11-09-2001, 01:39 PM
okay...so a thread by blackie just spawned a question that's been nebulating in my brainpiece.

I am about to revamp training and diet, so that i can take advantage of my newfound metabolism. While things were going slow, i guess i did a bulk of sorts (well since i actually started eating and whatnot, about a year ago, combined with training geared towards growth, i put on a good amount of muscle mass, quite by accident).

I wanna pretty much maintain my LBM now, and just cut like no tomorrow. How i plan on doing this is by switching up my training a little bit, and going more towards a high-rep "toning" *shudder* routine with the weights, and to start HIIT with a walk/jog treadmill routine. (right now i switch btwn endurance and intervals on an elliptical)

a. what do y'all think of that?

b. as many of you know, i don't eat grainy, starchy or sugary carbs. with the changes i'm thinking of making to my routine, do you think i need ot tweak the diet as well?

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-09-2001, 01:47 PM
can you please explain your reasoning for going to higher reps please Tina.

Oh, that's a genuine question too. No sarcasm.

Tryska
11-09-2001, 01:53 PM
well higher reps, meaning the 10-15 range, as opposed to the 8-12 range, i've been doing. it's basically to keep the muscles i got working, while not putting on more as it were. this is one of the reasons i'm passing this by y'all, this is coming from shawn (my trainer/chiro). He hasn't steered me wrong yet, and doesn't typically give that "toning" advice, so i'm surprised he said it, but curious about y'alls thoughts on it too.

Wizard
11-09-2001, 02:04 PM
Well the first answer is related to training but it doesn't really matter.

1)*The length of rest between sets (rest interval) depends on what you are trying to accomplish.If you're looking to reduce bodyfat and tone up, short rest intervals are recommended.
By limiting rest,your weight training routine produces an aerobic effect,allowing you to burn bodyfat while shaping your muscles.That's why HIT will help you.

*As for high reps now,there are two basic types of muscle fibers in the human body: fast twitch and slow twitch (there is actually a third type but who cares lol!).Fast twitch fibers contract rapidly but fatigue very quickly. These are the fibers that have the potential for muscular hypertrophy (increasing in size). Slow twitch fibers, on the other hand, contract slowly but can sustain contractions over prolonged periods of time. They are endurance-oriented fibers and have little potential for growing large,thus they're the ones you wanna "hit".
Since high reps training is endurance-oriented,there is a big activation of your slow-twitch fibers with minimal emphasis on fast-twitch fibers.This produces muscular definition without increasing bulk and can give you the toned-up look.

2)As for your nutrition,you will be ok with a 40-40-20 diet,assuming that you give more emphasis on complex carbohydrates,avoid sugars etc.. you know the story
;)

Good luck!

Tryska
11-09-2001, 02:09 PM
okay...so what your saying then is that I do need to up the carbs (right now, it's coming solely from lactose and fructose, and fresh veggies, isocaloric), by adding glucose in there to deal with Cardio Intervals? (which are anaerobic, no?)

Wizard
11-09-2001, 02:18 PM
Yup,you need more carbs(complex) because of the anaerobic activities.(cardio+weight training).It's good for your metabolic rate too.

1 week before I started playing football(soccer for our American fellas) which is an anaerobic activity and at the same time I started expirementing with high reps-low rest and noticed a muscle soreness because of the extended an. activities.Some extra carbs gave me better results.

I was following a diet plan with high carb and low carb days but after this change I decided to follow a med carb diet and just looking after my food combinations.(seperating carbs/fat).It's fine.(40/40/20)

the doc
11-13-2001, 03:57 PM
T, i'm have similar goals. I'm happy with the muscle i've gained but needing to slim waistline to keep from having to by new pants.
as far as your training goes, i can share what i'm doing. There is no such thing a maintaining muscle. It is constantly being broke down and rebuilt. Activities such as cardio will promote the breakdown of muscle tissue. Weight lifting will do it as well, as muscle is broke down during and immediately after working out, but the stress causes hypertrophy of the muscle tissue resulting in growth. IMO, given a set amount of training, it is your caloric intake which largely governs the overall net growth, reduction, or "maintainence" of muscle tissue. If i were you, i would keep your diet you're on now, but reduce cals a bit. Increasing cardio in relation to weight training will certainly reduce your muscle mass. I would still concentrate on lifting to absolute failure during your weight lifting. The growth factors released (which are released to a much lesser extent by cardio) will greatly aid in fat burning. Muscle tissue (especially on a reduced carb diet) will burn almost entirely acetylCoA for energy whilst at rest. The more muscle you can grow, the more fat you will burn.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-13-2001, 04:02 PM
Doco, what kind of effect does seratonin have on the body, other than the obvious feeling of relaxation and sleepiness?

Wizard
11-13-2001, 04:11 PM
Seretonin is the neurotransmitter which creates feelings of well-being and pleasure.It also supresses appetite.High levels of it may promote: Dry mouth,constipation,headaches and mild blood pressure deviation.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-13-2001, 04:18 PM
I thought it was the release of the endorphins that caused the sense of well being?

or is seratonin an endorphin?

Wizard
11-13-2001, 04:24 PM
Well,seretonin and endorphins are both neurotransmitters.The second ones are pain-relieving neurotransmitters to be more precise.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-13-2001, 04:32 PM
ok, so seratonin makes you feel ace and endorphins make you relaxed, sleepy and numb pain?

I just got them mixed up?

Tryska
11-13-2001, 06:30 PM
back to MY topic...*lol*

just for a second..then y'all an go back to neurotransmitters....

doc - you're saying i shouldn't sweat upping the carbs to support the HIIT-style cardio, and i should stick with current weight-scheme as well?

the doc
11-13-2001, 09:58 PM
yes, i think hiit cardio and training to failure are sort of similar. Sprinting for instance is very high intensity and most of them are quite lean but muscular.

You can do what blackie said about decreasing your rest times some in a circuit fashion and do some hiit. Right now i'm doing a full body workout every four days, and hiit type cardio (rowing or running) any day in between that i feel rested for.

Also, do you think the diet has been working for you in terms of lean growth? I think most i've read would suggest to keep it going whilst making modest cal reductions.
For sure you will find an equilibrium you like.

also, if your carb loading along with what blackie said you could split up the carb loads into two half day ones over the week.

just some ideas

Wizard
11-13-2001, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
ok, so seratonin makes you feel ace and endorphins make you relaxed, sleepy and numb pain?

I just got them mixed up?
:nod:
There are supps for both the two types of neurotransmitters.You can increase the seretonin levels by taking 5-htp and the endorphins by taking laxatives or something less potent like siena.(herb)

Tryska,if you include a carb up day in your plans,take advantage of it and do a whole body workout on that day."Hit" every muscle group by doing 15-20reps in every set for a total of 2-3 sets per exercise.(circuit training).

YatesNightBlade
11-14-2001, 02:13 AM
*has nothing to add* :(

Wizard
11-14-2001, 02:19 AM
:evillaugh

Tryska
11-14-2001, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by YatesNightBlade
*has nothing to add* :(

of course you do...you added your fine self to my thread....;)