PDA

View Full Version : This One's for Me

shaftid
11-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Hey, what's up. I'm a 21 yo college student studying medicine. I have worked out on and off in the past, but I have never gotten too serious about it. I am 6'0", 161 lbs. I'm lean, but I wanna be big.
I hope to be every bit as impressive as the committed people on this site. It's very important to me that I go about my new lifestyle the right way, so I would really appreciate advice/input whenever you can.
My goal is to be muscular with added mass (175) by the summer (May 2005). I guess you could call that short term. I don't plan on stopping there, but I'm not sure what sort of long term goal I have because I'm not sure what I am capable of.
I tried to research the diet and workout I should have on this forum extensively before I dive into it. Thanks especially go to Stash, Wibble, Antek, Ryuage, cphafner, and that irish guy for having pretty helpful posts. I came up with the fundamentals 1. Eat a lot more than what I'm used to (hopefully mostly clean but doesn't have to be since I'm a hardgainer) 2. Drink a lot of water 3. Focus on form 4. Don't give up
Everything starts tomorrow. The first day!

Hockey66
11-16-2004, 11:44 PM
Good luck with everything bro.

Eat lots, Lift lots, Grow lots. :spam:

Rastaman
11-17-2004, 12:26 AM
6'0, 160? Sounds like you have a ton of room to grow man. Good luck with your liftin, I'm sure you'll see big gains by next May.

TheSicilian
11-17-2004, 01:20 AM
Yeh good luck man stick at it...thats the main thing. You won't see results straight away so dont be discouraged, just put up with it, and over time, all will be revealed :)

shaftid
11-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys!
Well day one was eye opening. It seems so laid out when I read the journals online, with perfect routines and 10/8/6 reps. However, after I did one excercise I found myself tired already! Well anyways, here's what I did. Excuse the noobness.

Shoulders
Mili.: Bar*12, Bar+10*8, Bar+20*6
*How much does the bar weigh?
DB Press: 30*10, 35*8, 40*8
Front Raise/Lateral Raise: 15*10/15*10, 15* 6/15*10
BB Shrugs: 50*12, 55*10, 60*6
*Should I incorporate pullups, a drop set, or rows into my workout next time?

Diet:
Meal 1: 4 whole eggs, Banana
PostWO: NLarge Shake, Protein Bar
Meal 2: Tuna Salad (EVOO, Pickle Relish), Peanuts, Soup
Meal 3: White Rice, Chicken Breast, Carrots, Onions, Egg
Meal 4: Brown Rice, Tomato Sauce. 3 Basil Rolls (Similar to Spring Rolls but not fried)
Meal 5: NLarge Shake w/ milk
*I know I should have something preworkout, but I haven't figured out exactly what that should be...
*How far apart do you time your meals? I've read you should eat every 2.5 hours, is that what you guys do?

shaftid
11-18-2004, 02:52 PM
Ah no! Today was sloppy already! Since I didn't have class, I slept in until 11:30! I was playing World of Warcraft (a PC game) late last night, it was very addictive.

Legs/ Abs:
Leg Press: 130 x 10, 150 x 10, 170 x 10, 190 x 10, 210 x 6
*I really want to do the squats next time. However, the smith machine(I think that's its name) was full.
Rotary Calf: 130 x 10, 150 x 7, 170 x 4
Leg Curl: 70 x 10
*Uhhh, my legs started shaking uncontrollably so I figured I needed to stop
Crunches: 3 sets of 15
Weighted Crunches: 3 sets of 15
Leg Lifts: 2 sets of 15, 1 set of 10
*I'm looking for a good forearm routine. Most people just attributed their forearm build to complementing arm excercises, but my forearms could really use some direct work.

Diet:
Meal 1: (Lunch) 3 eggs, banana, 18 Chicken Nuggets
Meal 2 (PWO): Protein Bar, NLarge Shake
*I'm thinking of incorporating some Creatine into my diet. I know I need to take on more water in order to do this, that won't be a problem!
Meal 3: (Dinner) Cornmeal Trout w/ Rice and Potato Salad
Meal 4: NLarge Shake w/ Milk, Tuna w/ Bread and Cheese

shaftid
11-19-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm feeling pretty sore today. I did the "Build your arms by 1/2 inch" workout the day before I started writing journal entries. Lemme tell ya, it might be a little too hardcore for someone who is just starting to work out! My arms are sooo sore. Maybe it's a good day to throw in a rest day anyways. Scale said 163.8 today, that's 1.8 pounds up from yesterday morning at the same time. Crazy...

Diet:
Meal 1: 3 eggs, banana
Meal 2: Soup (Broccoli Cheese) w/ Tuna Sandwich (Tuna, Bread, Cheese), NLarge shake
Meal 3: Grilled Chicken w/ Rice and Beans
Meal 4: 3 Shots of sake, shot of rum, Grey Goose Martini (ok, technically not a meal... but notable nonetheless)
Meal 5: NLarge w/ milk

shaftid
11-20-2004, 03:07 PM
Well, my arms are still sore today. However, I am going to go to the gym tonight before I go downtown. Here's what happened:

Diet:
Meal 1: Protein Bar, banana
Meal 2: Chicken Wrap, Rice, Milk
Meal 4 (PreWorkout): Protein bar, water
Meal 3 (PostWorkout): NLarge shake (PB, Banana, milk)
Meal 4: 2 Slices of Cheese Pizza
*The weekend really wasn't nice to my diet. My friend came up to see me and we drank a lot and went out. Oh well, I'll make up for it! :)

Chest:
Flat Bench Press: 135 x 10, 155 x 10, 175 x 6
*I need to make sure I am bringing the bar to the right part of my chest when it comes down. Sometimes I bring it down on my upper chest instead by mistake.
Incline Bench Press: 115 x 8, 135 x 6, 135 x 4
*Didn't take a long enough break between flat and incline.
Pec Flys (Machine): 90 x 10, 130 x 8, 70 x 10
*I dropped the weight down to make sure I was using all of my chest. I really focused on keeping my shoulder blades clenched throughout the entire motion. This helped isolate my chest in the routine I think.
Vertical Bench Press (Machine): 70 x 8, 50 x 10, 50 x 10
*I made sure to focus on my chest like I did on the flys for this one as well. I really liked the burn I could feel after doing the motion 100% right.

and 3 sets of crunches to do me in...

*I am thinking about adding in triceps with my chest routine. I still haven't figured out a split I like exactly. I just don't think I could do a bicep/chest day and be happy with the attention I gave to each group.

**I have gained about 3 pounds since I started my jounal. That is a pretty impressive and quick result of my increased food plan. It's nice to see some sort of results in the short term, even if they're not muscular.

Hockey66
11-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Nice work on everything, keep eating and lifting hard.

For reference, the bar weighs 45 lbs.

shaftid
11-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Hockey66: Thanks for the comments. It's nice to know someone's checking up on me. :cool:

shaftid
11-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Chest is pretty sore today. I woke up this morning and was like "owww... yess!!" It's the little things in life! The pecs are the muscle I want to improve the most, so the soreness to me was a good sign. Well I'm hoping to be able to have a workout day today. I'm not sure which area I should do, but I'll update when I figure that out.

Diet:
Meal 1: 2x Tuna Sandwiches w/ cheese, Milk
Meal 2: 2x Chicken Noodle Salad (Chicken, Vegetables, Egg Noodles)
Meal 3: NLarge w/ Milk
*Not so impressive of a diet. The weekends are rough!

*In other news...A girl grabbed my butt in the bar last night. It was weird... but I wanted to be like, "Hey, if you liked that, feel my chest. I just worked it out today!"

Focused70
11-21-2004, 10:43 AM
:spam:

Nice, lol.

Stash

Canadian Crippler
11-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Good luck with your goals bro!

shaftid
11-22-2004, 07:52 AM
Crippler and Stash: Thanks for stopping by!

Well I weighed myself this morning at 165.4 pounds. I must be doing something right! I just stocked up on the regular items at Kroger this morning. However, school's out Weds - Fri due to Thanksgiving Break. I'm excited. No school = no tests which means no stress! I was thinking about a good split today and came up with this:

1: Shoulders/Back/Abs
2: Biceps/Forearms
3: Legs/Abs
4: Chest/Triceps
w/ as many rest days as necessary. Ab excercises may be futile, but I like doing them (and the burn in the end) so I kept 'em in there.

Today is 1 (Back/Shoulders).
DB Shoulder Press: 30 x 10, 35 x 10, 40 x 8
Lat. Row (Machine): 70 x 10, 70 x 8, 90 x 4
Close grip Pullups: 140 x 10, 80 x 5, 100 x 6
Lateral Raise/Front Raise - Superset: 15 x 10/15 x 10, 15 x 8/15 x 10, 20 x 6/15 x 8
3 sets of 15 Crunches/Leg Lifts
*I did not do the Deadlifts today because I couldn't find the right place to do them. For next time I'll just take a bar to ANY empty space and crank them out!
**I'm still sore from earlier workouts... Maybe I should invest in ETS or a multivitamin to remove this everlasting ache.

Diet:
Meal 1 (Preworkout): 2 Bananas
Meal 2 (Postworkout): NLarge Shake (PB, Bananas, Milk)
Meal 3: Noodle Salad (chicken, veggies, noodles)
Meal 4: 2 x Tuna Sandwiches, Creamed Corn, 1 Warsteiner
Meal 5: NLarge w/ milk

shaftid
11-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Diet:
Meal 1: 3 eggs, banana
Meal 2: Soup, protein bar, milk (wish I ate more here)
Meal 3 (Preworkout): 2 bananas
TBD

Arms:
TBD

PizDoff
11-23-2004, 04:03 PM
You should have no problem making that goal.
Keep eating clean and you'll keep your bf low as well.

Eat before going to bed as well, some healthy snacks while you are playing online games.
Best of luck to you.