PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my diet

NeedHelp
11-17-2004, 11:57 PM
I weigh 255 lbs. I would say I am about 25-30 lbs overweight. I have a lot of muscle but also a gut. I have been trying to get in shape for years without much luck. Tried the Atkins diet, south beach and all kinds of crap. No luck.

Now, I have turned to the bodybuilding diet. I have been reading up and trying to learn. Of course, with so many experts and diets out there all saying information that is the exact opposite of each other, I don't know who is correct or wrong! However, I am trying the bodybuilders diet since I figure these guys would know how to eat right.

I am an athlete. I box. I do a half hour workout in the morning for shadow boxing and I run one hour every day, six days a week. Yet, I can't burn my gut. Why? I don't eat high fat at all, no junk food or nothing. My problem is somewhere in the carb and protein area and more likely overeating the good foods with bad ratios of macronutrients.

How much calories should I take and how many should be carbs? Right now, I am trying for 224 g of protein and X g. of carbs with low fat. If I eat less carbs, i feel hungry or fatigued, If I eat too much, my gut becomes even bigger. What is the right number of grams of carbs that I need to eat to lose weight considering the aerobic activity I do engage in? Can someone help? I need exact number.

agentplaya1
11-18-2004, 12:07 AM
How many calories per day are you aiming for? You need to figure that out first.

ryan-
11-18-2004, 11:31 AM
My problem is somewhere in the carb and protein area and more likely overeating the good foods with bad ratios of macronutrients.

You said it yourself. If you're running an hour a day and boxing in the mornings and you're STILL not losing weight, I'd say there is a problem with taking in way too many calories.

NeedHelp
11-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Perhaps, i didn't make myself clear. I can easily lose weight but am unable to lose the fat. I have dropped 75 lbs before but mostly overall. my gut still remains. I can adjust the calorie count to whatever but it has something to do with the ratios of the macronutrients. What ratio should I beating of carb grams vs protein grams to maintain 220 lbs?

Vido
11-18-2004, 07:40 PM
Being a male, your gut will be the last thing to go.

There is no ratio of carbs to protein that you should be following. This is what you need to do:

1) Determine how many total calories you need.
2) Consume at least 1g protein/lb bodyweight
3) 20-30% of caloric intake from healthy fats
4) The rest of your allotted calories come from carbs

Now, that is the "bodybuilder's diet" as you called it. You are a boxer though, and as such might need more carbs to keep you fueled.

NeedHelp
11-18-2004, 09:08 PM
OK, Vido. I think I got it. You are saying to make sure to consume 1g of protein per lb of body weight. Or 224 g of protein every day. Add the grams of fat at 20-30%. And then the rest should be all carbs. Whatever they may be. Could be high or low. But make sure eat the meat portions consistenly. In order to lose weight, I should subtract calories from the carb portion and not protein. Got it. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.