PDA

View Full Version : What to eat post-cardio?

trojan1444
11-18-2004, 01:27 PM
My cardio consists of 5 minutes jogging, followed by 20 minutes of alternating 1-min sprints and 1-min jog.

After I'm done, what's the best eating strategy? Right now I'm having about 200 calories of fibrous carbs and protein (usually tuna and vegetables) about 45 minutes after I've finished. Is this not enough?

Any advice would be helpful.

Spiderman
11-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Get some quick acting carbs in you with some protein. My recommendation is a protein shake for the quicker absorption and some simple sugars. Bread or bagel, some sugared cereal etc. It will help to replenish your carb stores. I'd also try to get it in sooner than 45 minutes later.

LuvDaPump
11-18-2004, 06:04 PM
This depends on if you're cutting or what.

If you're really trying to burn the fat then wait your 45 minutes and make it some complex carbs and protein. I think you're on the right track.

Why would you want to do cardio then eat a bunch of suger and get your insulin spike just to store more fat? In 20 minutes you arn't using much of your muscle glycogen rather probably liver and blood stores.

Vido
11-18-2004, 07:13 PM
This depends on if you're cutting or what.

If you're really trying to burn the fat then wait your 45 minutes and make it some complex carbs and protein. I think you're on the right track.

Why would you want to do cardio then eat a bunch of suger and get your insulin spike just to store more fat? In 20 minutes you arn't using much of your muscle glycogen rather probably liver and blood stores.

High-intensity cardio is the equivalent to a workout, hence the need for carbs and protein right after.

After high-intensity cardio: carbs + protein (right away)
After low-moderate intensity cardio: fat + protein (here you can wait an hour and then eat)