PDA

View Full Version : egg whites

porto_6
11-18-2004, 07:50 PM
I always see bodybuilders buying egg whites, and i always wondered what they did with them>? You guys drink them or mix them with something>? Whats the best way of tkaing them. I know they are excellent in protein, but i was just wondering how to consumme it.

Vido
11-18-2004, 08:07 PM
If you buy the pasteurized ones you can drink them straight out of the container, otherwise I guess you just scramble them up. It's far cheaper to buy whole eggs though, and just ditch the yolks...and if you're not on a calorie-restricted diet you should be eating the yolks anyway.

abwowang
11-19-2004, 02:05 PM
but its only recommended to take 2 eggs a day.. cause thats the allowed cholestrol ur supposed to have a day.. right?

ecliptic
11-19-2004, 02:38 PM
cholestorol tastes good :)

Vido
11-19-2004, 07:28 PM
but its only recommended to take 2 eggs a day.. cause thats the allowed cholestrol ur supposed to have a day.. right?

No, it's only recommended to have 2/WEEK I believe, and that's because the people making the rules don't understand nutrition.

Cholesterol in food is barely related to blood cholesterol, so all the recommendations are bunk.

Patz
11-19-2004, 07:35 PM
every day, i make an egg sandwich out of 3 fresh egg whites..i just put on the skillet, cooking spray, and drop in the whites, toss the yolks, and i'm done..a little salt and pepper, and some 35cal bread, and i have my first of many high protein meals..i really enjoy it..i bought a 30pck of eggs last sunday, and only have about ten or so left..two days this week i boiled eggs and ate the whites as a midday meal..they aren't great, but you can't beat the protein for a couple bucks for 30 eggs...

ryuage
11-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Vido I thought you can only have 2 whole eggs a year or your penis will fall off over time.

RWalt
11-19-2004, 08:37 PM
Vido I thought you can only have 2 whole eggs a year or your penis will fall off over time.

You just need a detachable Penis, then you can eat all the yolk you want...

Vido
11-19-2004, 09:31 PM
every day, i make an egg sandwich out of 3 fresh egg whites..i just put on the skillet, cooking spray, and drop in the whites, toss the yolks, and i'm done..a little salt and pepper, and some 35cal bread, and i have my first of many high protein meals.

3 egg whites and a slice or 2 of bread isn't a "high protein" meal. In fact, it's tough to even call that a meal; a single scoop of whey has more calories than that.

Patz
11-19-2004, 10:02 PM
i'm dieting..trying to keep the calories and fat low, but i don't want to waste the effects of all the working out i've finally started doing..eggwhites are a good source of natural protein for cheap..supplements i don't need right now..i've got about 40+ pounds to drop..i'm trying to stay in the 11-1300 calorie range..is this a bad idea???

Vido
11-19-2004, 11:14 PM
i'm dieting..trying to keep the calories and fat low, but i don't want to waste the effects of all the working out i've finally started doing..eggwhites are a good source of natural protein for cheap..supplements i don't need right now..i've got about 40+ pounds to drop..i'm trying to stay in the 11-1300 calorie range..is this a bad idea???

How long have you been eating that few calories? Are you doing refeeds? If you aren't, I suggest you start because your metabolism's got to be shutdown.

Patz
11-19-2004, 11:29 PM
i'm 6'1" 245 not overly heavy in any specific area..i carry weight extremely well..i read a book called "the seven habits of highly effective people"..one part of it stresses daily exercise, and i've never been able to get myslef motivated to do it until i finished that book and wanted to manage my time and life better..so i started getting up every day before work and doing it..7 weeks straight now..i'm doing great..i'm toning up a bit, and all that..just for this week, i started the diet, because i didn't want to deprive my muscles of the protein the need after a workout..but i also want to drop weight..i'm not looking for bulk yet, but i know it's not good to work out, and not get protein..anyway, i try to eat 60-80..maybe 100 carbs day..mostly from the bread, and keep my calories in the 11-1300 range, and fat under 30g..i'd say with as much leg muscle as i carry, my normal body weight it somewhere in the 190 range..i would be happy to stop at 200, because i know what i look like at 200...my normal day of eating for this last week goes like this

3-egg white sandwich..1 cup skim milk 9am

1 can tuna (in water) with 1 tbsp BBQ sauce, and 1svg wheat thin crackers 11:30am

1 chicken breast, cooked in a skillet with Pam spray..2pm

1 lowfat peanut butter sandwich..1svg of PB on it..about 12g fat, and whatever protein..430-5pm

then at about 8, when i get home from work, i either eat a sliced turkey sandwich, or a bowl of "back to nature" cereal..sometimes 2 servings, with skim milk..it's high protein, high fiber stuff

i drink 80-100 ounces of water throughout the day, which i always do and have done for the last couple years anyway..i'm epileptic, and my medication requires it to keep out kidney stones..but i also know you need a lot of water to keep protein from building up in the kidneys..or so i was told

my daily meals vary, and i usually fit in baby carrots, and an apple somewhere in there..i always eat when i'm hungry, and i have tons of energy..i'm getting in 5-6 meals a day..should i be doing this a different way? i really can't afford supplements at this time

Vido
11-20-2004, 12:21 AM
mrelwooddowd, congratulations on your progress thus far! Your diet looks pretty good, but the problem is you are basically starving yourself. You should be able to lose weight easily eating double what you are now, given your size. When severely restricting calories as you are, the weight will come off more quickly, but the chance of muscle loss will also be greater. The biggest problem though with eating so few calories is that your metabolism adjusts to this, so eating 1100 calories now might be like eating 1500 calories 2 weeks ago in terms of how much weight you will lose. For this reason (and many others), refeeds are suggested on any diet restricting calories that much. A goal of a refeed, aside from giving you a psychological boost, is to restore muscle glycogen that surely has been depleted given the training and diet you are doing...it also gives a brief boost to metabolism, and if done often enough can actually prevent metabolism from slowing at all. In a nutshell, a refeed involves eating A LOT of carbs, moderate protein, and minimal fat. (In reality though, you "can" actually just pig out on basically anything you want and you shouldn't really see much, if any, fat gain because your body is starving for those nutrients and calories, but a "clean" refeed as I suggested above is more optimal.) The amount of time between refeeds depends on your bodyfat %. The higher it is, the longer you can go between refeeds. You are doing a diet very similar to what I am doing (as well as LittleJake and now lilmase), so you can check out our journals if you want to see how we're approaching it (I warn you though, my diet is far from "strict"...I'm young and like to have fun and I'm sure you have more will power than me). Another good read would also be the boards at www.bodyrecomposition.com. Check out the sticky on the PSMF diet on the "General Diet Questions" board.

Patz
11-20-2004, 12:42 AM
that makes sense..i din't know what a refeed was..basically i'm stopping my body from getting used to what i'm eating, and fooling it back into thinking i'm going to stop starving it, and it kinda resets..then i hit it all over again for a week, reap the benefits of that, and do the whole refeed again..so i take it you suggest stepping up my calories, fat, and carbs a bit, then when i hit a plateau with weight loss, cut it back down some, and so on and so forth? i've never had a lot of trouble losing weight, and i'm still young (25) and want to get fit for life while it's still easier..i lost 50 pounds basically on the subway diet before that damn jarrod got rich off of it (i spent 30-40 bucks a week there), and kept it off jogging, but when i started my current job 5 years ago, i gained it fast..my last medication didn't help..(see the effects of depakote..it makes kids fatties)..i was on that for 8 years..it made me lethargic, and i got up to 265, and was ALWAYS sleepy..i dropped 20 pounds when i got off of that, and have kinda been here at 245 for a year..i'm just ready to get it in gear now

so should i just add in the refeeds? or up my intake some, and do a less hardcore refeed?

Vido
11-20-2004, 12:54 AM
so should i just add in the refeeds? or up my intake some, and do a less hardcore refeed?

The choice is yours. You're correct though in that the less below maintenance you are, the smaller the refeed has to be.

Patz
11-20-2004, 01:06 AM
i'll have to think about it some..i read a couple pages on your journal..30 egg whites in a day is INSANE..i don't know how you can do that..that's gotta get expensive too..and yes, you do like to party a bit..luckily, being epileptic, i can't drink..it messes with my medicine levels..so i guess i can spare myself those calories..i bet if i did drink, i'd be big as a house..what's the fish oil for?..a guy i work with takes fish oil capsules because he has a bad knee and he says it lubricates the joints..but he's an a$$hole..i guess it's probably true, though..is that your reason?..i think tomorrow i'm gonna eat something decent..i've been eating like that since monday, and i'm hungry..i'll decide what to do on a semi-full stomach..i have all day at boring work to think about it..thanks for the help !

Vido
11-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Fish oil is probably the best source of EFA's out there. If it lubricates my joints too that's great, but I've never heard of that.

Patz
11-21-2004, 12:07 AM
i'll have to look up EFA's now and see what that is...so much new stuff to learn

deadheadted
11-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Fish oil is probably the best source of EFA's out there. If it lubricates my joints too that's great, but I've never heard of that.

From what I understand, it's best to have both fish oils as well as Omega 3 EFA sources comprised of ALA - since fish oil has no ALA, only EHA and DHA, both of which can be synthesized from ALA.

As far as egg whites go - egg yolks have a small amount of saturated fat, which isn't likely to harm you unless your diet is already high in sat fat or you're eating a dozen a day (or you're pre-disposed towards heart disease). Eggwhites do make a good lower-calorie alternative to eggs if you're on a cut, though, since they're basically pure protein.

I stick to just plain old egg-white omelettes - usually throw in some broccoli, spinach, salsa, and fat free cheese. Muy tasty.

Patz
11-21-2004, 08:07 PM
broccoli?, spinach? what happened to green peppers, and mushrooms? ick

Patz
11-21-2004, 08:07 PM
oh and texas pete hot sauce is delicious on eggs..mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Vido
11-21-2004, 08:14 PM
broccoli?, spinach? what happened to green peppers, and mushrooms? ick

Yeah, I agree, that's weird stuff in an omelette. Mushrooms also make me cringe though. Peppers, onions, some kind of meat, and cheese and now you're talking.

Patz
11-22-2004, 10:45 PM
vido..i must admit that i, too was once afraid of mushrooms..i think it was because my mom always bought those nasty ones in the can when i was a kid, and they were always slimy and gross-tasting...anyway, i was at my favorite restaurant a couple years ago (Bahama Breeze) and they had a filet mignon that came topped with a piece of portabella, and it was FANTASTIC..the mushroom had the texture of meat..delicious..anyway, the next time i was in Atlanta, I ate there again, and got the portabella sandwich..again, delicious..now this is a great restaurant, and they could make whey into an amazing meal, but i starting trying baby bellas too, and i like them..you should give mushrooms another try, but start with a big portabella like i did..that's the way..i hated peppers, and onions and all for lots of years until the last few..i missed out on some good stuff..funny thing is, it didn't stop me from gaining! :)