PDA

View Full Version : Calories in Hard Liquor

blustring
11-19-2004, 10:25 AM
This question may have already been asked, but my search was fruitless. According to fitday.com alcoholic beverages such as vodka, rum and bourbon have 0 fat, 0 carbs and 0 protein, yet are fairly calorie dense. Where do the calories come from?

-blu

geoffgarcia
11-19-2004, 10:26 AM
from alcohol
Pure alcohol contains 7 calories per gram

if you use dietOrganizer it tracks alcohol calories

blustring
11-19-2004, 10:32 AM
So does your body burn off calories from alcohol the same way it does calories from fat/carbs/protein?

galileo
11-19-2004, 10:39 AM
No, alcohol isn't used for anything productive. So, it is like lowering your basal caloric limit by however many calories in alcohol you just drank. Plus, alcohol impairs some processes, so it is counterproductive for most goals.

blustring
11-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Go figure. I strongly considering removing alcohol from my diet altogether. I'm not a heavy drinker anyway, maybe a couple beers on saturday during football, other than that I don't really drink much.

Lance
11-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Enjoy your life. Arnold drank, lol. I'm sure alot of bodybuilders drink occasionally.

I'll drink maybe once a week or so, i'm not a big drinker at all. Doesn't seem to hurt my progress.

abwowang
11-19-2004, 02:04 PM
my friend drinks twice a week.. its is really counterproductive.. he works out real hard 6 times a week.. results come real slow lol..

i drink once every 3 weeks.. not as bad.. haha

so if we WERE to drink.. hard liquor is the better way to go?... or just go light beer?.. or what..

ecliptic
11-19-2004, 02:48 PM
well, the calories in hard liquor essentially just come from the alcohol. With beer you have calories coming from carbs as well as alcohol, and the alcohol is what is burned instead of the carbs. That means the carbs are unused and since they are crappy carbs anyway, they turn into fat. I usually prefer hard liquor, but it really depends on the person and what you can handle.

Asylum
11-19-2004, 02:57 PM
I really like to mix vodka with Red Bull. Gives you some pep, wakes you up, and gives you a quick buzz. Not to mention, it raises your metabolism a bit from the Red Bull. And it tastes oh so good if you like RB. That's my drink of choice, I've given up on beer while I'm trying to get buff.

Asylum
11-19-2004, 02:58 PM
blustring, what part of GA you from?

blustring
11-22-2004, 08:47 AM
I live in Monroe, but I work in Athens.

muscle chic
11-22-2004, 09:55 AM
I know a few guys that drink and are pretty good size from bodybuilding. They flush every beer or drink with a lot of water. It seems pointless to even have the drink. All that water would make me hurl!!