PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as to much protein?

mizfit
11-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Well pretty much what the topic says , I eat a like atleast one grilled chicken salad a day and like 2-3 paddys of hamburger meat with some wheat bread . I was completly carb free but i started eating whole weat again

Vido
11-22-2004, 05:26 PM
Perhaps, but you are DEFINITELY not at that point.

trojan1444
11-22-2004, 05:29 PM
I've wondered about this too, but this is the conclusion I've come to. Some people say that a body can only use so much protein and after that the extra protein will just be converted to carbs. But then how is it better to eat less protein and more carbs, since you'd still be getting extra carbs?

Might as well load up on the protein and get all that you need. If you get more than you need, it might get converted to carbs but that's no worse than substituting carbs in the first place, right?

mizfit
11-22-2004, 07:44 PM
yeah , well I was just wondering , I eat alot of protein and im trying to get cut at the gym , ive hit the weights for about 3 months and im goin to wanna start building muscle soon , I have built some muscle doing my low - mid weight with high rep work outs and I always do cardio for atleast 20 mins.. I was thinking about how I should make changes to my diet, thanks - Steve

Vido
11-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Start lifting heavy, high reps won't get you jacked.

If you want to start building muscle, the first and possibly only change you need to make to your diet is just simply eating more.

mizfit
11-22-2004, 10:31 PM
high reps get you cut , I think im done with that , goin to start liftting heavy in december and see where it takes me! :)

Vido
11-22-2004, 11:04 PM
high reps get you cut

That's actually a myth.

JTyrell710
11-23-2004, 12:06 AM
im not quite sure how they convert a protein into carbs, i kno that you can use protein for energy.. if that helps- there is such a thing as too much protein, its when theres too much protein and not enough water and thus your organs are intoxicated with protein and basicalyl your drown your kidneys in protein and while its very hard to reach that point, it can be fatal.

Digitised
11-23-2004, 05:17 PM
the process i believe is called gluconeogenesis, it simply converts protein into glycogen. But this only happens when ur body needs carbohydrates (say after a w/o) and youve decided to eat 2 chicken breasts and ignore your carb cravings.

Im not mr clued up on biology but its something like that.