PDA

View Full Version : eggs

Patz
11-23-2004, 12:26 AM
ok..this is gonna be a stupid question, but just how much protein is there in an egg? i have been going by www.calorieking.com that's a reputable source if there is one, from what i've ever seen around..what confuses me is that i see on there that a raw egg white only has about 7g pf protein, while a cooked egg white has 17g? it also says a cooked whole egg has much more than a raw whole egg..this seems odd to me considering how everyone says that raw is better for protein, but calorieking is a big-selling source for food information..the calorie king book has sold millions of copies..they can't be wrong can they?..there's another popular book out there that i have too, but i can't think of the name of it, and i can't find it..it's green..it may be called "the calorie and fat counter" or something like that...

so what's the deal? what's the truth? and give me sources..

Vido
11-23-2004, 02:12 AM
I don't have any sources, but an egg is anywhere from 6-8g protein, depending on the size...the amount doesn't increase when you cook it.

ryuage
11-23-2004, 02:13 AM
yah about 6g protein 3 in the white 3 in the yolk...

damn vido you up early or do you just sleep late everyday?

Vido
11-23-2004, 02:16 AM

It's only 1am over here man...west coast. I go to sleep between 1-2am usually.

Vapour Trails
11-23-2004, 10:41 AM
yah about 6g protein 3 in the white 3 in the yolk...

I thought the white was basically totally protien and the yolk totally fat.

TheGimp
11-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Then you thought wrong. The yolk contains half the protein in the egg.

Patz
11-23-2004, 10:56 AM
hey thanks guys..i've been thinking there was 17g of protein in an egg white!..sheesh!..i realized what i was doing wrong on the website..the serving size was off..it was set up for more than one egg..i scaled it down to 50grams, and it is around 6g of protein now..don't feel bad vapour, at least you didn't think it was 17g! i did find another site called nutritiondata.com it's pretty good too..you can quick search anything you want..i didn't look for the egg info on my egg carton because it wasn't there..then today i got the bright idea to look under the lid, and sure enough, there it was..that's what sent me back to the website to figure out my mistake..

anyway, thanks again..guess i'll have to eat more eggs now

Vido
11-23-2004, 11:29 AM
hey thanks guys..i've been thinking there was 17g of protein in an egg white!..sheesh!..

anyway, thanks again..guess i'll have to eat more eggs now

So that's why you thought 3 egg whites was a "high-protein" breakfast ;).

Eddan
11-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Just commenting on this:

"considering how everyone says that raw is better for protein"

This is contrary to everything I have heard. The protein in uncooked eggs are, from what I hear, not as available to the body (“bioavailable”) as cooked is. I’m not that much into nutrition to remember quite why that is, but I believe it has something to do with the protein, or maybe just one of the amino acids therein, changing into a more available form. (Also, there is of course the risk of salmonella.)

ryuage
11-23-2004, 03:28 PM
dang 17 grams in an egg white... i could get my protein needs for less then a dollar a day haha

TheGimp
11-23-2004, 03:45 PM
The protein in uncooked eggs are, from what I hear, not as available to the body (“bioavailable”) as cooked is.

This is correct. The protein in the egg white is in the form of the glycoprotein avidin. This needs to be denatured by heating it before it can be digested. Furthermore avidin binds to biotin and eating raw egg whites can casue biotin deficiency. The pasteurization process is sufficient to denature the avidin so egg beaters are ok.

Patz
11-23-2004, 11:22 PM
yes vido, exactly..what can i say? im just a rookie..a newb..a greenie..i know a ton about how communications networks function, and i can play a little guitar, but when it comes to nutrition, all i can tell you is what tastes good..i thought you were insane for eating 30 egg whites in a day..i was thinking "holy cow! that's hundreds of grams of protein!" rookie blunder i suppose..i'm also positive i'll do something else truly foolish soon enough..prepare youselves!

:)

akomabutisakama
11-24-2004, 06:39 AM
white conatins 4g pro 17 cals
youlk has 2g carbs 5g fat 2g pro 55 cals

Vido
11-24-2004, 11:59 AM
white conatins 4g pro 17 cals
youlk has 2g carbs 5g fat 2g pro 55 cals

The first part might be true, but an egg contains no carbs. Those extra 8 calories from carbs that you're claiming to be there basically account for and extra gram of fat that you left out.

Patz
11-25-2004, 05:12 PM
we're getting very specific now..i like it..i'm with vido..he seems to know his shiz

agentplaya1
11-28-2004, 04:36 AM
The first part might be true, but an egg contains no carbs. Those extra 8 calories from carbs that you're claiming to be there basically account for and extra gram of fat that you left out.

actually you're wrong. Look at any egg carton and you'll see an egg has 1g of carbs.

ryuage
11-28-2004, 04:39 AM
most will say less then 1 gram or 0

Vido
11-28-2004, 02:19 PM
most will say less then 1 gram or 0

Yup

Patz
11-28-2004, 06:15 PM
i checked my "large egg" carton..it says one gram of carbs..no adterisk or anything to indicate "less than"..but i would go so far as to say that no two eggs are the same size either, and that every nutrition fact on every carton is based on an average of the particular distributor's eggs (also taking into account what grade and size it is classified as of course), from that distributor's sources, and is an average that is probably routinely checked and updated as chicken feeds become more powerful, and chickens grow larger, thereby putting out larger eggs..so i would say to go by whatever eggs you eat, and stay with that..either way, it's just one carb

agentplaya1
12-01-2004, 04:42 AM
right, i eat jumbo eggs and it says 1g carb per egg, plain and simple. But like this /\ guy said it's just one carb so who the f*** cares.

Patz
12-01-2004, 10:04 PM
definitely..i do the large eggs..i bought 5 dozen last night for 5 bucks..i'd better get busy eatin

abwowang
12-01-2004, 10:05 PM
qfc and safeway had 18 for 99 cents :)

Vido
12-01-2004, 10:20 PM
definitely..i do the large eggs..i bought 5 dozen last night for 5 bucks..i'd better get busy eatin

That's cheap as hell. I get mine $10 for 5 dozen, which is already fairly cheap. Granted, I'm talking Canadian dollars, but yours are still way cheaper.

MarioCisneros
12-02-2004, 03:11 PM
So is there anything wrong if I eat 8 full eggs a day???

Vido
12-02-2004, 03:20 PM
So is there anything wrong if I eat 8 full eggs a day???

I'm eating 10 right now, so I hope not :).

ryuage
12-02-2004, 03:21 PM
you might get some stanky gas...

Patz
12-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Wal-Mart Vido, Wal-Mart..don't they have Wal-Mart there? I saw in the newspaper a while back where a WM in Canada was the first one to unionize, so I know they are in your country somewhere. I think they were $4.98 for 5 dozen. And I'm rockin the protein farts so bad, I stay out of people's way.

Vido
12-03-2004, 01:22 AM
They do have Wal-Mart, but I've never really shopped there...there isn't one in this vicinity either.

ryuage
12-03-2004, 01:24 AM
I get 15 dozen for 8 bucks :)

Vido
12-03-2004, 01:29 AM

:swear:

agentplaya1
12-03-2004, 01:29 AM
where in god's name do you store 15 dozen eggs? 8 bucks is a damn good price tho. are they large, xtra large, jumbo eggs?

Vido
12-03-2004, 01:42 AM
where in god's name do you store 15 dozen eggs? 8 bucks is a damn good price tho. are they large, xtra large, jumbo eggs?

I have a medium-sized fridge in my dorm room and 15 dozen eggs basically takes up the whole thing. Good thing I don't have much variety in my diet, so it's all good :).

agentplaya1
12-03-2004, 01:45 AM
your farts must be a biohazard :fart:

Vido
12-03-2004, 01:48 AM
Ginger root is my best friend.

MarioCisneros
12-03-2004, 05:54 AM

hehe, I bet u're a living biological weapon dude :zipit: haha

Dang, 15 dozen.... my whole fridge

I guess egg is good and cheap for protein, I don't hate it.... YET hehe

Patz
12-03-2004, 11:42 PM
if ryuage is in ft bragg, maybe he's military? do you get them on base for super cheap or something? that 5-dozen box i have is pretty small//about 15 inches long..maybe 12 inches wide..and 6 inches tall..i could fit a bunch in my fridge

Patz
12-03-2004, 11:47 PM
i just worked out from 10:30-11:45..i wa totally depleted food-wise..so i made an omelette with 8 whites, one yolk i dropped in and couldn't fish out..and 12 slices of deli turkey breast...as soon as i finished it, i was starving..i waited an hour, and i'm absolutely RAVENOUS..now im eating a cup of oats..i guess my body just takes the protein immediately? what's a good dose of protein after a hard lift? and what is suggested for a meal after a lift like this? i mean a meal to get the amout of protein i need..obviously i didn't get enough..i know one night i ate two chicken breasts like lightning..

agentplaya1
12-05-2004, 01:00 AM
some whey protein is quickest protein source to get to your muscles after a workout. You should get a good dose of carbs in there as well to refuel glycogen stores and increase protein uptake. I dont see any carbs in egg whites and turkey breast. Maybe you should have that cup of oats earlier with the eggs and the turkey, although simple carbs would be ideal.

Vido
12-05-2004, 01:12 AM
some whey protein is quickest protein source to get to your muscles after a workout. You should get a good dose of carbs in there as well to refuel glycogen stores and increase protein uptake. I dont see any carbs in egg whites and turkey breast. Maybe you should have that cup of oats earlier with the eggs and the turkey, although simple carbs would be ideal.

:withstupi

agentplaya1
12-05-2004, 01:17 AM
:withstupi

heyy, who u callin stupid. . .

Patz
12-05-2004, 05:17 PM
simple carbs are foods with some sugar aren't they? i need more info..remember im a rookie

getfit
12-05-2004, 05:21 PM
heyy, who u callin stupid. . .
i'm with stupid means he's agreeing with what you've posted

1r15h
12-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Damn man I take about 15 egg whites a day, but I didnt realise there was that little protein in them, I take 5 at a time with milk 3 times a day, the experience of drinking them isn't the nicest feeling in the world esp if you get shell in it, the whey protein worked out much better in terms of protein per serving, I think it was 27g per scoop, so 9 egg whites per serving :o best thing to do is just close yer eyes and think of rocky woooo, not in a sexual way though

Vido
12-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Damn man I take about 15 egg whites a day, but I didnt realise there was that little protein in them, I take 5 at a time with milk 3 times a day, the experience of drinking them isn't the nicest feeling in the world esp if you get shell in it

Sounds like you're consuming them raw. Not a good idea.

a) you can salmonella poisoning

b) the protein needs to be denatured by cooking it to be useful

1r15h
12-05-2004, 07:19 PM
I didnt think denaturing protein had any benefit, not disagreeing just wasn't sure at all, I always knew about the salmonella risks, I'm just going to go back to whey I think and throw eggs in every now and again as a little top up, thank you for the tip though vido!

TheGimp
12-05-2004, 07:22 PM
You're not denaturing the protein per se, you're denaturing the glycoprotein avidin which is composed of both protein and carbohydrate.

1r15h
12-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Im curious as to how this would benefit me? educate me seymour!

agentplaya1
12-05-2004, 07:44 PM
simple carbs are foods with some sugar aren't they? i need more info..remember im a rookie

yes that is correct

Vido
12-05-2004, 07:45 PM
You're not denaturing the protein per se, you're denaturing the glycoprotein avidin which is composed of both protein and carbohydrate.

Thanks for clarifying that :).

agentplaya1
12-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Damn man I take about 15 egg whites a day, but I didnt realise there was that little protein in them. . .

define "little", 15 egg whites seems like plenty of protein to me

Vido
12-05-2004, 07:50 PM

Maybe Gimpy would like to provide a more detailed explanation, but quite simply, denaturing the protein increases its bioavailability.

Vido
12-05-2004, 07:51 PM
define "little", 15 egg whites seems like plenty of protein to me

In one meal, sure. He divides those up into 3 meals though. 18-20g of protein is not very much for a single meal.

agentplaya1
12-05-2004, 07:54 PM
I would hope the dude eats more than just 3 meals of egg whites and milk a day.

TheGimp
12-05-2004, 08:02 PM

Well like Vido says, quite simply the avidin is indigestible. I've not been able to find out whether this means that none of the protein in a raw egg white is digestible or only some of it. The other disadvantage of eating raw egg whites is that the avidin will bind to biotin (also known as vitamin H) and cause biotin deficiency. This can be mitigated somewhat by eating raw whole eggs as the yolk contains a lot of biotin but I still wouldn't recommend eating raw eggs under any circumstances. Egg beaters would be fine as they have been denatured as part of the pasteurization process or you can get egg protein powder. Or just cook your eggs :)

Vido
12-05-2004, 09:37 PM
The other disadvantage of eating raw egg whites is that the avidin will bind to biotin (also known as vitamin H) and cause biotin deficiency.

You'd have to eat 12-24 raw eggs/day to develop a biotin deficiency. Not impossible I guess, but that's quite a few.

TheGimp
12-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Raw eggs or raw egg whites? :)

Patz
12-05-2004, 10:29 PM
So if I eat something with simple carbs after a workout (and let's keep in mind that I'm trying to lose weight as well), what would it be? I would imagine it's not someting like a donut, or bearclaw. Also, Vido, how can one do this if they are on something like PSMF? Maybe I should get some orange juice, since it contains sugar, but isn't just a nasty pastry or cookie? I need some examples if I'm gonna be a nutrition whiz. I'll google it as well, though.

Look Vido, SENTENCE STRUCTURE! I guess I'll go ahead and do it from now on. You and dirt shamed me into it I suppose.

Patz
12-05-2004, 10:30 PM

I think he was referring to whites, due to the spefic point of the effects of eating whites that was raised earlier.

Vido
12-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Look Vido, SENTENCE STRUCTURE! I guess I'll go ahead and do it from now on. You and dirt shamed me into it I suppose.

Look at how easy that was :).

So if I eat something with simple carbs after a workout (and let's keep in mind that I'm trying to lose weight as well), what would it be? I would imagine it's not someting like a donut, or bearclaw. Also, Vido, how can one do this if they are on something like PSMF? Maybe I should get some orange juice, since it contains sugar, but isn't just a nasty pastry or cookie? I need some examples if I'm gonna be a nutrition whiz. I'll google it as well, though.

You want protein and carbs, not fat postworkout. THAT really is the main reason why a donut wouldn't work...otherwise they would probably be ok. I'd probably be eating a dozen after each workout. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm donuts :drooling:.

If you were strictly adhering to the PSMF you would not have carbs post-workout. That is just the nature of that particular diet.

Orange juice does contain sugar, but not the right kind. It contains fructose, which preferentially fills liver glycogen stores, when your goal after a workout is to fill muscle glycogen stores.

There are people on both sides of the fence regarding low GI vs. high GI carbs post-workout. I personally don't think it really matters. Lots of people will say that dextrose is the best carb to have post-workout, followed closely by maltodextrin (these are both sugars/powders). Those are fine, but I feel oats, rice, potatoes, bagels, whatever basically (other than fruit) will work fine.

Vido
12-05-2004, 11:00 PM

Well, considering I gave such a ridiculously large range I think I'm safe either way ;).

I would say you'd be on the lower end of that range if you were only consuming whites, and the higher end if you were consuming whole eggs.

1r15h
12-05-2004, 11:56 PM
aye egg whites

Patz
12-06-2004, 12:54 AM
Look at how easy that was :).

You want protein and carbs, not fat postworkout. THAT really is the main reason why a donut wouldn't work...otherwise they would probably be ok. I'd probably be eating a dozen after each workout. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm donuts :drooling:.

If you were strictly adhering to the PSMF you would not have carbs post-workout. That is just the nature of that particular diet.

Orange juice does contain sugar, but not the right kind. It contains fructose, which preferentially fills liver glycogen stores, when your goal after a workout is to fill muscle glycogen stores.

There are people on both sides of the fence regarding low GI vs. high GI carbs post-workout. I personally don't think it really matters. Lots of people will say that dextrose is the best carb to have post-workout, followed closely by maltodextrin (these are both sugars/powders). Those are fine, but I feel oats, rice, potatoes, bagels, whatever basically (other than fruit) will work fine.

Forgive me for being repetative, but when i inquired before about the nature of simple carbs, I asked if they were things containing sugar. I meant SUGAR. Those foods you mentioned, along with something such as pasta, are what I always understood to be complex carbohydrates. Am I misinformed, or does it not matter as long as it's carbs. Personally, sugary stuff dissapates and disappears in my system really quickly. Then I fall even harder afterward because the sugar isn't a long-lasting source of energy. So where is my education (or lack thereof) faltering here?

Also, I am rather enjoying this complete sentence stuff again. I had gotten very used to "..." but it doesn't really develop, or maintain my written skills in any productive way.

Patz
12-06-2004, 12:59 AM
I read your post again, and I think I get you now. You are saying that it's acceptable to eat a dextrose, or maltodextrin carb food (being something like sweetened cereal), and that you (and others too I'm sure) feel that it's fine to eat something that's a complex carb as well? Personally, I make my oats in the mircowave, then add a little milk, half a tablespoon of sugar, and a pinch of salt, so i do get some simple carb action.

Vido
12-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Forgive me for being repetative, but when i inquired before about the nature of simple carbs, I asked if they were things containing sugar. I meant SUGAR. Those foods you mentioned, along with something such as pasta, are what I always understood to be complex carbohydrates. Am I misinformed, or does it not matter as long as it's carbs. Personally, sugary stuff dissapates and disappears in my system really quickly. Then I fall even harder afterward because the sugar isn't a long-lasting source of energy. So where is my education (or lack thereof) faltering here?

Simple carbs basically are sugars, yes. But what I'm saying is you'll have some people telling you those are necessary post-workout, whereas I feel any carb (except ones containing fructose) will get the job done equally well. If you feel better eating real food than simple sugars, I'd advise you to do that instead.

Patz
12-06-2004, 08:25 PM
I think I will. Thanks once again for the help.