PDA

View Full Version : Rychlak benches 1005

blowdpanis
11-23-2004, 01:02 AM
Yikes. (http://bodytechusa.com/images/04IPANS_GRychlak_1005BP_Small.swf)

SW
11-23-2004, 06:04 AM
Can't see it :( But finally, the day when a human can bench 1000 lbs has come!

zen
11-23-2004, 06:57 AM
Can't see it :( But finally, the day when a human can bench 1000 lbs has come!

He's not human, he is a dwarf.
And it's video imbedded in flash, with no loader screen, so if you don't see anything, be more patient.

ryuage
11-23-2004, 01:04 PM
you know you bench heavy a** weights when you need to wrap your wrists.

theperfectbeast
11-23-2004, 01:55 PM
holy ****

RussianRocket
11-23-2004, 03:30 PM
bad quality, although very amazing. What was going on with his right arm?

John0101
11-24-2004, 02:14 PM
did he lock out? it didn't seem like he did.

ElPietro
11-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Did you see how long he held the bar at the top before any spotters touched it? Do you think anyone can hold over 1,000 lbs like that and not have his arms locked?

John0101
11-24-2004, 02:24 PM
ok, great point.

savdout209
11-24-2004, 02:50 PM
that fool looks like he could hold his own with a silver back

Shark
11-24-2004, 04:52 PM
:omg:

Manveet
11-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Great lift.

JSully
11-24-2004, 05:40 PM
that fool looks like he could hold his own with a silver back
:withstupi

He IS a silverback!!!!

damn he's huge! awesome lift

GMCtrk
11-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Did he lock out at the top? sure didn't look like it...

cphafner
11-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Impressive, but I never saw a lockout.

emjlr3
11-24-2004, 08:11 PM
i really didnt look like he did, almost looked as though is started to go back down when the guys grabbed it, but yea i deff. think his arms were still bent, but still amazing control with that went down sow as all get out, but touched down near his belly button....weird

BigRic
11-24-2004, 10:30 PM
What would be even more impressive than that lift, would be seeing him try to wipe his own ass.

chris mason
11-25-2004, 06:24 AM
Gene is an amazingly strong man.

Gene performed the heaviest shirted bench press ever.

I have a few concerns I would like to note:

1) There was virtually no pause on that press.
2) I think the fact that the "judges" allow #1 above makes me wonder what other improprieties they may have allowed. In other words, was his shirt within the legal limits allowed by the federation who ran the event?

I think Gene could go a LONG way toward quieting his critics if he performed a RAW lift of 700 + lbs.

ElPietro
11-25-2004, 08:18 AM
There are quite a few feds as you know Chris. Generally, the freak show type lifts you see will be in the ones that aren't testing, have lenient technical rules, and allow the double or I think they even have triple-ply denim out now on shirts. It's still a great lift, just that it's going to be impossible for us to ever compare apples to apples between feds. Every fed will be to a different standard.

Too bad the IPF just had it's annual meeting, and voted against the "press" command on bench, but then implemented a no-bomb concept to 3 lift meets. So now you can bomb on the squat and still compete. I'm not a fan of that at all, and would have liked the press command, since so many guys fail because they have no clue what the judges want. Some press too early, some hold it too long and can't get through their stick points after the pause.

Just a note of warning to those in this thread that have or are thinking of posting comments regarding his use of equipment, and whether it's a valid press or not. This type of comment is ignorant. If you do not understand that powerlifting is a sport, and as in all sports, there is equipment, then feel free to keep your comments to yourself. Stay out of the powerlifting forum, and stick to bodybuilding. Do you expect back catchers in baseball to catch Randy Johnson's fastball bare-handed? Again, it's a sport, so deal with it.

ElPietro
11-25-2004, 08:22 AM
Did he lock out at the top? sure didn't look like it...

Impressive, but I never saw a lockout.

i really didnt look like he did, almost looked as though is started to go back down when the guys grabbed it, but yea i deff. think his arms were still bent, but still amazing control with that went down sow as all get out, but touched down near his belly button....weird

Did you guys miss this, reposted below? Try taking 90% of your max and holding it unlocked suspended mid-air and tell me how you do.

Did you see how long he held the bar at the top before any spotters touched it? Do you think anyone can hold over 1,000 lbs like that and not have his arms locked?

ElPietro
11-25-2004, 09:52 AM
emjlr3 I don't know if english is your third language or not, but I'll repeat it one last time, this isn't the place to discuss the validity of equipment or not. You really don't want me to have to do so again. Trust me.

Do you powerlift? Do you understand powerlifting? Do you understand sports, and sporting equipment? I can tell you don't so please refrain from answering. I think a good dose of stfu is what is best for you at this time.

chris mason
11-25-2004, 09:53 AM
There are quite a few feds as you know Chris. Generally, the freak show type lifts you see will be in the ones that aren't testing, have lenient technical rules, and allow the double or I think they even have triple-ply denim out now on shirts. It's still a great lift, just that it's going to be impossible for us to ever compare apples to apples between feds. Every fed will be to a different standard.

[/b]

I fully realize this.

That, to me, is part of the problem. The fact he made a great lift is not really in dispute. The problem lies in the fact he will be touted as the greatest bench presser in the world.

He can claim to be the greatest shirted bencher in the world, but what kind of a claim is that? Shirts can vary dramatically. Do we know for a fact anyone else can get a shirt just like Gene's? We do not.

Your point only underscores the whole problem with powerlifting in the US today. Too many feds, too many rules. Too much bull****.

I love strength and its exhibition. I also love to compare strength feats. The current situation makes that impossible.

ElPietro
11-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Yeah I agree. I didn't have the volume on when I viewed the video, but I'd never consider him the best presser in the world. Everyone is under different circumstances, and that makes it impossible. To me the best presser in the world may be someone that is 150 lbs but puts up a 480 bench or something like that. Or some long-armed guy that can press 600, versus some of the big wide dudes with 3" of ROM. So it's always going to be subjective in some manner.

And yeah, I don't like all the different feds, and regs. I'm just glad the one I am in is the largest, and has it's gaze firmly set on keeping high technical standards, and limit the type of equipment used. Who knows, my view may change someday, but that's how I see it now. I'd love for there to be a raw division as well, some feds have it, mine doesn't.

PowerManDL
11-25-2004, 11:43 AM
He locked it out.

JustinASU
11-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Regardless, the man is elite in his sport and the fact that he is wearing a demin benching shirt does NOT take away from his lift. Simply awesome.

The_Brick
11-25-2004, 05:20 PM
I'm still more impressed by the video of Tank Abbot hitting 600lbs for reps raw.
As soon as I see a triple double poly bench shirt which takes 700+lbs to touch, I lose a lot of interest. If you changed the visuality of the bench shirt and replaced it with something more obvious like an engine hoist taking 80% of the load for 60% of the lift it would just look pointless. Bench shirts are pointless.

:windup:

Adam
11-26-2004, 03:28 AM
Do you powerlift? Do you understand powerlifting? Do you understand sports, and sporting equipment?

to the brick

body
11-26-2004, 05:35 AM
I'm still more impressed by the video of Tank Abbot hitting 600lbs for reps raw.

:

he did a single rep in the vidoe.

chris mason
11-26-2004, 06:14 AM
You see, herein lies the rub. The powerlifters get all upset when someone expresses their opinion.

Asking them if they understand the point of lifting gear is stupid because they have already expressed their opinion that they do not. Brick just stated that HE loses interest when he sees a bench shirt. Get it? That is HIS opinion.

Where it gets real interesting is that powerlifters and promoters just don't get it. They have let equipment manufacturers essentially ruin the appeal of the sport to the greatest majority. The opinion expressed by Brick is not a minority opinion, it is the MAJORITY opinion.

If powerlifters want to see their sport flourish they need to heed these opinions and react accordingly. Powerlifting, like any organized sport, becomes a business if anyone wishes to be able to make a living from it.

Just my 2 cents.

The_Brick
11-26-2004, 07:23 AM
Bench shirts suck.
Take your shirt off and come and see how much you can really lift ElPietro. Come on man who you think you are defending a piece of clothing? What are you the fashion police?

My PB's at raw meets so far have been

B 142 @ 74
D 210 @ 74
S 190 @ 75

Chris understands my point of view, I'd dare say he's been around the traps a bit longer than some of you guys. It also explains a lot of Aussies, we can't stand NFL because of all the padding and talking. We Aussies say "Go hard or go home." Going hard does not involve wearing load bearing material to lift weight for us, because we can bloody lift it ourselves.
As for bench shirts being part of normal sporting apparel, that is completely bogus. There is no equivalent to the bench shirt in olympic lifting which explains general acceptance of olympic lifting by the public and relegating powerlifting as a fringe sideshow. Powerlifting was originally started to aid training for power athletes such as hammer throwers, shot putters and oly lifters. That it has its own sport dominated by companies which manufacture load bearing articles of clothing is completely gay and no offence, UNIQUELY AMERICAN.

I understand sports. I play sports, I watch sports. I don't like bench shirts and never will. Hey I like Coca Cola and your movies though, but at least they blatantly aim to make a profit whereas Inzer pretends its product has a real use. It does not.

ElPietro
11-26-2004, 08:08 AM
Bench shirts suck.
Take your shirt off and come and see how much you can really lift ElPietro. Come on man who you think you are defending a piece of clothing? What are you the fashion police?

My PB's at raw meets so far have been

B 142 @ 74
D 210 @ 74
S 190 @ 75

Chris understands my point of view, I'd dare say he's been around the traps a bit longer than some of you guys. It also explains a lot of Aussies, we can't stand NFL because of all the padding and talking. We Aussies say "Go hard or go home." Going hard does not involve wearing load bearing material to lift weight for us, because we can bloody lift it ourselves.
As for bench shirts being part of normal sporting apparel, that is completely bogus. There is no equivalent to the bench shirt in olympic lifting which explains general acceptance of olympic lifting by the public and relegating powerlifting as a fringe sideshow. Powerlifting was originally started to aid training for power athletes such as hammer throwers, shot putters and oly lifters. That it has its own sport dominated by companies which manufacture load bearing articles of clothing is completely gay and no offence, UNIQUELY AMERICAN.

I understand sports. I play sports, I watch sports. I don't like bench shirts and never will. Hey I like Coca Cola and your movies though, but at least they blatantly aim to make a profit whereas Inzer pretends its product has a real use. It does not.

What the hell is this? You are calling me out? First off, I could care less what you lift, that doesn't make you smart. If it did, I'd still be smarter since raw I can top all of your lifts by some margin, so please don't go there.

If you don't like bench shirts, don't use one. They are part of the sport, but not required. You think Oly lifting is that big a deal? Sure it's in the olympics, and sure it's getting slammed each time because of the numerous lifters that come back testing positive. This is why Powerlifting is not going to be an oly event anytime soon. First because the bad rep oly lifting already has, second because the elite powerlifters are going to test positive as well, which will only make things look worse. I think it's being run as a test event in one of the next events, maybe not the olympics can't remember. As far as appeal goes, sure you could take out the shirt, it DOES help people lift more, but if you don't have it in there, there will be less progress (fine by me) more and more shoulder injuries, and that's pretty much it. Bench shirts are part of the sport, I compete in the IPF, so there are quite a few limitations, and of course much higher degrees of technical requirements. That's what *I* like. If there was a raw division I'd consider competing raw...

None of your arguments have any rational train of thought though. Why is equipment bogus? Every sport has equipment. Should hockey goalies not have pads? Or the players? Should back catchers not have a chest piece, or a mouth guard for boxers? If you don't like a sport, don't watch it, don't compete in it. I could care less what Aussies think to be honest with you. I enjoy football, and rugby, but don't think less of one because there are pads or not. Entirely different game, but you can't get your head around it.

I could also care less what something started as. All sports evolve in some way, via rule change, or adaptations by athletes or changes in equipment. If you can't realize that, then perhaps you don't know anything about sport.

So in summary, I could care less what your opinion is, I have mine and I can accept that sports have rules and equipment, and that you are not forced to use that equipment. Do you think these big guys using shirts would take them off and all of a sudden be lifting what you lift?

Oh and Chris, as I've already said, I don't care if someone thinks powerlifting should be raw, I have a problem when fools come in here and start acting like asses bringing the lifter down for his accomplishment for lifting within the rules of his sport and particular federation. I have never once claimed one way or the other whether I would prefer bench shirts and equipment to be a part of powerlifting, all I have done is defended the sport from ignorant asshats that think that these guys aren't training hard, aren't strong, and all they can see is a shirt and not the power that is there. If they can't understand something is part of the sport, and think they are just going to insult these guys, then they'll always here from me.

blowdpanis
11-26-2004, 09:45 AM
No offense to some, but saying 'do you understand sporting gear' is kind of silly, imho.

The 'point' of most sporting gear is to minimize injury and maximize protection of the player.

So sure, that element exists somewhat for powerlifting. But some of the gear is CLEARLY over the line from 'keeping the lifter safe' to 'virtually accomplishing the bottom portion of the lift for them.'

A more accurate (and telling) comparison would be like rockets attached to sprinters, or springs put on the shoes of basketball players.

Still, I give Gene all the credit in the world for that lift - it's a ridiculous display of strength. Still, like Chris, I come from a background of appreciating old time lifts in which, to some degree, one could compare lifts with others. Sure, there's different relative leverages and so forth between lifters making it harder and easier for some, but the variation in rules and gear in powerlifting make the different federations almost like entirely different sports.

I'm all in favor of gear that minimizes injury, and insofar as that may help one's lifts as a byproduct, whatever. However, I don't think many people could say with a straight face that some of the equipment out there nowadays is strictly for injury prevention.

I mean, there's no way to decide what the 'right' form of powerlifting is, so whatever floats your boat, that's fine. But having any sense of homogeneity in powerlifting is really, really difficult, and concepts like 'world record' considerably lose their meaning, and become federation specific.

ElPietro
11-26-2004, 09:49 AM
I agree, I wish we had one standard as well. But that's just not the case. Will it ever be that way? I don't know. But to be truthful, I'd rather there be more feds than less if it means more people getting exposed to it and competing. It seems to be growing regardless, at least in my local area, so that's good.

My issue isn't with whether people agree with shirts or not, but with people that critcise a lift or the lifter because of it. He is simply doing what the rules allow him to. I do agree some feds are all about the number that is put up, over what is used to do it, or what is injected, or how it is lifted.

Anthony
11-26-2004, 10:03 AM
A more accurate (and telling) comparison would be like rockets attached to sprinters, or springs put on the shoes of basketball players.

Actually, a more accurate comparison would be cleats in pretty much all running sports because it increases grip/speed, and springs in the floor of basketball courts because it increases their vertical jump. These things exist. Do they prevent injury? Nope. Do they increase performance? Yep.

blowdpanis
11-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Actually, a more accurate comparison would be cleats in pretty much all running sports because it increases grip/speed, and springs in the floor of basketball courts because it increases their vertical jump. These things exist. Do they prevent injury? Nope. Do they increase performance? Yep.

No, I'd say my comparison is more honest.

The difference between the current raw record in bench and shirted is ~300 lbs. As a percentage of the raw lift, that's TREMENDOUS.

So no, I'm not sure the above is properly analagous, unless we're talking about the sort of gear found in something like the IPF.

For your examples, the cleats would have to make the players run ~141% of their 'normal' speed, or the springs would have to have a similar impact upon their jumping. I'd dare say they're not even slightly close.

Don't get me wrong, there are examples of 'enhancements' in sports (e.g. swimmers' suits, cyclists bikes and so forth), but at, say, an international level, there is a fair amount of regulation, and these sorts of training aids aren't changing people's performance nearly as radically as the latest wave of powerlifting gear.

To be honest, if I had even said something like 'shooting sprinters out of a cannon,' that really wouldn't be entirely disanalagous :\

no regrets
11-26-2004, 02:13 PM
that was a sick lift.

thetopdog
11-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Why is there even an argument? Powerlfiting with a shirt is one specific type of lifting. Powerlifting raw is another type. What is there to argue about? Benching 1000lbs with a shirt is a great feat. Nobody is claming it's close to benching 1000lbs raw, or maybe even 700lbs raw becuase they can't be compared. It's like Formula 1 and Nascar. It's the same basic concept (driving as fast as you can) but vastly different equipment. WHAT THE F#&K IS THERE TO ARGUE ABOUT?

Patz
11-26-2004, 04:44 PM
that was, definitely the coolest thing i've ever seen as far as lifting..that guy can't be much over 5 feet tall too..he did lock his arms out, but they're so short it didn't look like he could swing that much weight back to the bar, so he showed he could hold it a sec...it would have taken incredible shoulder control to bring it out alone, or put it back alone without the weight gaining momentum, and he did neither..i'm sure that whole scene was rehearsed so there would be no question that he got it clean..it gives me motivation to see that stuff..i know nothing about powerlifting, and only some about weightlifting yet, but you can't deny that strength regardless of what equipment was used..that's like arguing that mark mcgwire didn't break the homerun record because he took andro (legal in MLB) and the other major american sports ban it.. as far as brick's analysis of the NFL, i had to laugh..i think rugby/aussie-rules football is definitley a rough, rough sport, and i dont care to toy with my health enough to play someting like that, but i have NEVER, EVER seen a man playing rugby that was the size of some NFL players..they aren't as fast, as strong, as big..NFL breeds monsters, there's no two ways about it..even the larger NFLers are extremely quick..that's simple fact..there's a huge difference in getting hit by the average rugby player, and the average NFL linebacker..a BIG difference..these are just two totally different sports..i doubt any NFL player would ever step into aussie football to prove themselves, simply because they make too much money, and it would be pointless to risk injury, but i would never doubt the toughness of those guys..im sure most of them could not only handle it, but excel at it..how much do rugby players make anyway?

biggimp
11-28-2004, 12:11 AM
i just think that shirts are getting a little out of hand when the bench wr is 72 lbs higher than the deadlift wr... that just makes no sense.

MixmasterNash
11-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Where it gets real interesting is that powerlifters and promoters just don't get it. They have let equipment manufacturers essentially ruin the appeal of the sport to the greatest majority. The opinion expressed by Brick is not a minority opinion, it is the MAJORITY opinion.

This is an excellent point. There's a really good discussion on the gripboard about this, with two points that I'll paraphrase.

Yes, equipment is used and necessary for powerlifting, but it's clearly gotten ridiculous. Point 1: A real smart test would be if you can't pull an unweighted bar down to your chest, then you can't wear that gear. Point 2: It's like olympic lifting with the clean and press; the rules were stretched farther and farther to the point if it being ridiculous. No one doubts that Alexeyev was incredibly strong to "press" 500+lbs, but the form made a mockery of the lift, and it was simply eliminated. Some see this happening to the bench press with the incredible overuse of equipment.

MixmasterNash
11-28-2004, 10:11 PM

Actually, cleats are rather important for basic traction and in field sports, they are CRITICAL in preventing injury.

No one doubts that some gear is useful and important for safety, but when gear starts to be actively involved in moving the weight, it must be questioned. Sure, I could start a federation that allowed hydraulic jacks as basic equipment, and then claim that I benched 4000lbs, but everyone would recognize that as well over the line of credibility. The amount of gear that Rychlak was wearing is over the line, in my opinion.

It should not be said that Rychlak benches 1000. It should always be explicitly stated that he benched an equipment assisted 1000.

biggimp
11-28-2004, 10:19 PM
i wonder what rychlak benches raw?

MrWebb78
11-28-2004, 10:38 PM
i dont like/use shirts. but that video is quite impressive.

The_Brick
11-29-2004, 04:29 AM
i wonder what rychlak benches raw?

With a 1 second static pause on chest I doubt if there is a man on the planet who can bench above 800lbs raw.

Anthony
11-29-2004, 05:43 AM
Actually, cleats are rather important for basic traction and in field sports, they are CRITICAL in preventing injury.

I agree they are important for improved traction, but I disagree they are "CRITICAL" in preventing injury. :)

chris mason
11-29-2004, 05:53 AM
I think you would be very disappointed in what Gene can press RAW.

Ebu
11-29-2004, 07:31 AM
In order to stop all this woo-ha, maybe federations should have shirted AND raw lifts, then maybe an average taken? Or just have both represented. The_Brick, sure, your lifts are raw and whatnot, but having a shirt would definately improve that. If everyone in a meet is using shirts, then all is fair, right? This sounds more like everyone complaining about these lifters having amazing lifts, ONLY because of a shirt, and that they are being praised for it, when raw lifters are left in the wake, which I can totally understand. I can see how it could be compared to cork in a baseball bat (bench shirts), and cleats being compared to a belt, but if everyone used cork filled bats, it would be fair, right?

My point is, if they use shirts, and everyone in the meet uses shirts, its fair amongst all those lifters involved, just not fair to Aussies that bench raw and are just jealous they arent being praised for their raw lifts. Just kidding, no harsh feelings. (About the aussie being jealous). I think this phrase sums it up:

DON'T BRING A KNIFE TO A GUN FIGHT

MixmasterNash
11-29-2004, 08:59 AM
I agree they are important for improved traction, but I disagree they are "CRITICAL" in preventing injury. :)

To go totally off topic now, have fun making any cutting moves on wet grass without cleats. Let's see how long your joints last!!!

And it wouldn't be very interesting to see guys spinning in place and not moving very fast. :D I agree that spikes and stuff for track and field is basically a pure performance enhancement.

Dirt
11-29-2004, 06:27 PM
You see, herein lies the rub. The powerlifters get all upset when someone expresses their opinion.

Asking them if they understand the point of lifting gear is stupid because they have already expressed their opinion that they do not. Brick just stated that HE loses interest when he sees a bench shirt. Get it? That is HIS opinion.

If powerlifters want to see their sport flourish they need to heed these opinions and react accordingly. Powerlifting, like any organized sport, becomes a business if anyone wishes to be able to make a living from it.

Just my 2 cents.

Amazing post Chris. Sums up my feelings on the issue entirely. I'd also like to agree with everyone pointing out that the disparity between raw vs. equipped lifts is what is particularly damaging to the sport. When big raw lifts are some 70% of equipped lifts, it certainly detracts from my interest in the sport and it's credibility. I'm sure others share this opinion as well. Also I'd like to point out that MixmasterNash is right on the money with cleats. Try playing soccer on a field with early morning dew, let alone a thoroughly soaked field and see how long you can go without sustaining a knee or ankle injury. I doubt very long, now imagine a professional soccer player in the same situation, how long would his career last?

Maki Riddington
11-29-2004, 07:54 PM
I doubt very long, now imagine a professional soccer player in the same situation, how long would his career last?

Probably as long as a it takes for the average man to climax in the sack.

lilmase1153
11-29-2004, 08:50 PM
originally posted by anthony

i disagree on both points as an avid basketball player i know for fact taht the springs in an indoor court are to prevent knee injuries, and do not increase vertical at all or if by any ammount it is less then a 1/4 of an inch.. i have tendonitis in both knees from playing bball outside on a concrete court, and is only reaggrivated when playing outside. when i play inside i feel fine and very little discomfort..

on the topic at hand though, i feel this lift is awesome whether shirted or not. i for one am not a shirt fan but thats just me and my opinion, and i do not want to take away from someones lift cause of my opinion. the feat of strength it takes to even hold a 1000 lbs is awesome in and of itself let alone press and hold it...

DokterVet
11-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Insane lift. Rychlak is a beast.
I'm not a fan of shirts either, but I think the PL guys here are getting pretty fed up with the issue being brought up in every thread (I admit that I've done it). Maybe someone should start a new thread dedicated to discussing the validity of powerlifting gear.

Dirt
11-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Probably as long as a it takes for the average man to climax in the sack.

:p In a word: hilarious.