PDA

View Full Version : Waistsize to determine body fat?

trojan1444
11-23-2004, 11:41 AM
I don't have any skin calipers or other BF instruments....so if I just compare my weight to my waistline, is that a fairly accurate way of seeing if my BF is increasing or decreasing?

Like if my weight is going up but my waistline is the same, can I assume I'm gaining muscle and not fat?

TheGimp
11-23-2004, 12:11 PM
If you're a guy then yes :) Men tend to store fataround their waist, stomach and lower back. Women tend to store fat on their hips.

Frozenmoses
11-23-2004, 12:25 PM
This is not necessarilly true. I dropped an assload of weight back in highschool, from 235 to 135 in a year at 6'0. I had a 28" waist, yet my bodyfat was still fairly high (noticable gut and chest fat, on top of little to no muscle). While you might get a decent ranged estimate by comparing your waist to your height, I'd take it with a grain of salt until you get it measured accurately.

Minotaur
11-23-2004, 02:09 PM
I don't have any skin calipers or other BF instruments....so if I just compare my weight to my waistline, is that a fairly accurate way of seeing if my BF is increasing or decreasing?

Like if my weight is going up but my waistline is the same, can I assume I'm gaining muscle and not fat?

Here's a tool you can use that uses only a tape measure. I don't know how accurate it is as far as an absolute number, but you can use it to mark progress. Be sure to keep a log.

http://www.healthcentral.com/cooltools/CT_Fitness/bodyfat1.cfm

Vido
11-23-2004, 06:01 PM
This is not necessarilly true. I dropped an assload of weight back in highschool, from 235 to 135 in a year at 6'0. I had a 28" waist, yet my bodyfat was still fairly high (noticable gut and chest fat, on top of little to no muscle). While you might get a decent ranged estimate by comparing your waist to your height, I'd take it with a grain of salt until you get it measured accurately.

28" waist, you bastard! :swear:

Frozenmoses
11-23-2004, 06:18 PM
28" waist, you bastard! :swear:

All the girls thought I was hawt as f*ck, too. That is, until I took my shirt off.

:cry:

geoffgarcia
11-23-2004, 10:40 PM
also, waist size and pant size can be quite different