PDA

View Full Version : protein and kids question

AzBboy
11-24-2004, 05:25 PM
hi, so the other day im drinkin my protein shake, and my lil cousins over. the boy is only six. curiously, he asks what it is. i tell him its protein, then he wants some. i give him a lil cupfull of protein for himself. then my uncle, his dad, finds out, and tells me not to be giving him any protein. that it will stunt his growth and its just not safe. he wasnt rude about it or nothin, he knows im love that kid to death and wouldnt ever wish to bring him any harm. i respect his wish of course, but was i wrong to give him protein? kids need the MOST protein, seing as they are in the growing years. did he over react or was i wrong to give him some protein?

Jasonl
11-24-2004, 05:40 PM
There is nothing wrong with a kid having a little extra protein, just don't over do it. You are right, kids NEED protein to develop, just like they need fat and carbs as well.

Rex
11-25-2004, 08:41 AM
He overreacted. Next time head-but him for being such a dumbass. :whip:

RichLockyer
11-25-2004, 01:03 PM
It's food. Whey is food, meat is food. Whey is more healthy than red meat.
People who don't hang out in our circles remember the "liquid protein" diets of the 70s that caused so many problems... people whould eat virtually nothing and drink only whey drinks (and not enough water). There were stories of it actually killing people... dunno if they were true or not.

He was overreacting, but when it comes to kids, unless they are posing an actual danger, you have to respect the wishes of the parents and should offer a sincere apology.

Behemoth
11-25-2004, 02:08 PM
He was incorrect but he didn't necessarily overreact. Most people out there think of any bodybuilding aid as negative. We have steroid abuse to thank for this. We can't expect anyone who doesn't bodybuild to know the ins and outs of it. If he were to lecture you on supplements then that would be ignorant and overreacting. You handled it right. Wait til the kids a little older and bring him to the gym with you and make him a monster. :evillaugh