PDA

View Full Version : Is butter a..

Vvitto
11-10-2001, 09:02 PM
good source of good fat?
I havent seen any posting related to butter so I was wondering if any of you guys use butter as part of your diet?
I am in a low fat and low sugar diet and in the last 3 months I lost 18 lb!
I was wondering if butter would be a good idea for my diet!

thanks
V

Hot Shot
11-10-2001, 09:28 PM
No butter is high in saturated fat.Fat from animal source are not usualy good fats

Budiak
11-10-2001, 11:39 PM
Is this for real?

Of course butter isn't "good" fat. There is a butter flavored spread I've heard of that is basically a blend of good fats. I'd give that stuff a try.

Wizard
11-11-2001, 02:25 AM
Of course butter is high in saturates but there are some butters low in saturates and trans fatty acids.Just search and you'll find a healthy alternative choice.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-11-2001, 05:41 AM
Butter - generally no.

Margerine however, you may find has it's benefits.

I think certain margerines have high Poly counts and low cholesterol.

The olive margerines seem to be decent enough too.

Make sure you double check the labels to see if they have added any nasty pasty chemicals to replace anything.

I personally don't think that these are good substitues for say flax oil or nuts.

the doc
11-11-2001, 07:39 AM
butter is ok in small amounts, like a pad or two/day-and if it is real butter it will contain no trans-fats. I say small because of its relatively high sat fat amounts.

imho, it is much better than margarines (most are made with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil), but if you can find a margarine that doesn't contain the words "partially hydrogenated" then you can buy that
he he, it is so funny how everyone disses butter and then goes to buy margarine not realizing it is very high in partially hydrogenated fats (these are unsat fats-thus in the nutrition labels they can show it has low sat fat. In reality, these trans fats are most likely much worse for you that sat fat.)

the doc
11-11-2001, 07:40 AM
also, when you add some more fat like butter, remember to reduce your other calories to compensate for the added cals from fat.

Vvitto
11-11-2001, 11:34 AM
Should I conclude that there is no good butter at all?
SOme would argue that margarine is a better alternative some would say the opposite!

Is there any low fat or flavoured butter?
What should I be aware and what should I look for on the label?

Thanks again

V

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-11-2001, 11:38 AM
The best butter = natty Peanut Butter :)

Tryska
11-11-2001, 01:29 PM
margarine = trans fats =evil.

if you must use some butter type thing, use butter.

Jane
11-11-2001, 02:30 PM
i found some stuff called Olivio that is a butterlike spread that is made from olive oil. the ingridients list seems to check out, and it tastes really decent too.

beware of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, like doc said

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-11-2001, 02:47 PM
"i found some stuff called Olivio that is a butterlike spread that is made from olive oil. the ingridients list seems to check out, and it tastes really decent too."

um...jane? :thumbup:

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

The olive margerines seem to be decent enough too.

:D

Jane
11-11-2001, 03:13 PM
well I *did* suggest a brand. :) A particularly good tasting brand, too. We wouldn't want our friend to try a yucky olive margarine and turn to lard as an alternative now would we?