PDA

View Full Version : Eating after HIIT and morning cardio

Vido
11-29-2004, 01:47 AM
Ok first off, let's not make this a debate about which type of cardio is better. Let's assume that both work equally well, just so the focus can be on my actual question.

I've always heard that not eating for an hour after a low/medium intensity morning cardio session is a good idea because you keep burning fat during this time. Conversely, I've heard that you should eat right after an HIIT session because it is more like a workout. However, I read this on another board:

"If you do HIIT, then go ahead and wait an hour, as the increased metabolism outweighs the catabolism. The contrary is true for medium-intensity, long, steady cardio. So its your call."

Makes sense to me. Thoughts?

ryuage
11-29-2004, 02:19 AM
your choice... hiit is anaaerobic to a certain point, but opinions are like a**holes everyones got one. It really is a trade off, you will experience some catabolism like stated from that quote, so if you think the increased metabolism outweighs it then be my guest. I would really save these kind of tactics for when you are getting to lower single digit bodyfat and need to rid of the stubborn areas.

PowerManDL
11-29-2004, 05:45 AM
HIIT is like any other anaerobic workout. It needs glycogen and glycogen replenishment.

The effects of HIIT don't work though "direct" fat burning.

Vido
11-29-2004, 01:23 PM
I would really save these kind of tactics for when you are getting to lower single digit bodyfat and need to rid of the stubborn areas.

I like to pretend I'm single digit bodyfat :(.

Vido
11-29-2004, 01:25 PM
HIIT is like any other anaerobic workout. It needs glycogen and glycogen replenishment.

The effects of HIIT don't work though "direct" fat burning.

I understand that, but it does increase metabolism a great deal. So, if you weren't eating during this period of increased metabolism isn't that better for fat burning? (Conversely, I realize it's more catabolic as well.)

I'm not disagreeing with you; I just thought this guy's take was rather interesting as I've never heard it before.

Dirt
11-30-2004, 05:43 AM
When doing HIIT from a fatloss standpoint I'd refrain from eating up to 45 minutes after you finish. Just PM me if you want more info.

PowerManDL
11-30-2004, 06:09 AM
I understand that, but it does increase metabolism a great deal. So, if you weren't eating during this period of increased metabolism isn't that better for fat burning? (Conversely, I realize it's more catabolic as well.)

I'm not disagreeing with you; I just thought this guy's take was rather interesting as I've never heard it before.

You'd think so really, but the peculiarities of any energy-intensive anaerobic training (this includes strength training) makes it almost counter-intuitive.

Rather than write on it myself, I'll refer you to Loki's write-up on the subject over in M&M:

http://magazine.mindandmuscle.net/page.php?pageID=274&issueID=21

He covers the topic pretty comprehensively.