PDA

View Full Version : Eating a late dinner

sheparay
11-29-2004, 09:50 PM
I just started working out again...trying to eat right and all that good stuff. Im having a protein shake for breakfast...a meal replacement or something else light for a snack....a healthy lunch...and after my workout Im having another protein shake... My problem is that by the time I get home for dinner its around 8:30 pm... I have heard its not good for you to eat that late...is this true?? If so, does anybody have any suggestions for my diet? HELP!!!

Patz
11-29-2004, 10:35 PM
i work from 10:30a to 7:00pm, and i don't usually get home til 8..if i'm hungry i eat..but i'm dieting..i eat a peanut butter sandwich, or a 2-serving bowl of "back to nature" high protein cereal..just something to get me by til bedtime..i always work out (cept for tonight) at 8am, and eat at 9am, then 11:30a, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm..pretty much..i've only been on this for two weeks, and i took some days off last week for Thanksgiving, but in the first 8 days i lost 5 pounds..it's kinda like the PSMF diet, except i don't do fish oil, and not as high protein..but it's mostly protein..it works for me..if you're huingry, eat..just eat the right stuff

Vido
11-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Eating at night is fine, and is in fact very important. Your body needs food while you sleep.

PaulB
11-30-2004, 03:17 AM
dont eat alot of carbs before going to sleep, specially high glycemic ones

_-_v_-_
11-30-2004, 07:41 AM
Carbs before bed =/ fat.

ryuage
11-30-2004, 08:02 AM
is that so?

_-_v_-_
11-30-2004, 08:24 AM
Yes :)

akomabutisakama
11-30-2004, 08:25 AM
omg thats such a friken myth when i was 5% bf i still had a cup of oast befor bed ever night

roidaroonie
11-30-2004, 08:32 AM
I think the best thing to eat as far as carbs before bed is a small bowl of oatmeal, I feel so much more energized the next morning having some slow burning carbs in me the night before.

sheparay
11-30-2004, 11:41 AM
whats the PSMF diet??? thanks

Draven_Fenix
11-30-2004, 02:01 PM
I have heard that the only reason eating late is not good is because you don't get a good nights sleep because your body is still digesting food while you are sleeping. I am not sure if this is true, but isn't it advisable to eat like at least an hour before bed to avoid having this happen?

Vido
11-30-2004, 02:36 PM
whats the PSMF diet??? thanks

Do a search, it's all over the place these days, mostly in a ton of member's journals.

If you want a better source you should go to the forums at www.bodyrecomposition.com, General Diet Questions, and there's a PSMF sticky.

Vido
11-30-2004, 02:37 PM
I have heard that the only reason eating late is not good is because you don't get a good nights sleep because your body is still digesting food while you are sleeping. I am not sure if this is true, but isn't it advisable to eat like at least an hour before bed to avoid having this happen?

Your body is going to be digesting food for a lot longer than an hour after you eat. If you wanted to avoid this you'd have to stop eating at lunch time or something absurd like that. It's probably not the best idea to have a 5-course meal right before bed, but a lot of people eat right up until the time their head hits the pillow with no ill effects.

PaulB
11-30-2004, 03:43 PM
oats is low glycemic, so its not a myth

high glycemic foods are the fastest digested and are most easily used by the body, if you eat it before you goto sleep and you dont need the energ your body will turn it to fat

ryuage
11-30-2004, 03:47 PM
can you show me a study on that?

PaulB
11-30-2004, 04:07 PM
http://www.consumerreports.org/main/crh/displayc.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=362527&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=362523&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=333141

explains the difference between the two, im not sure wha you mean though. study on what part? basically having alot of high glycemic carbs in you before you goto bed is like eating sugar cubes before you sleep.

ryuage
11-30-2004, 04:10 PM
oh im not doubting you on high gi ... just the statement of carbs before bed = fat.

Dirt
11-30-2004, 04:34 PM
I've eaten both high GI and low GI carbs before bed and personally found no real difference between them. As far as late night meals go, I've had a full meal within the hour or hour and a half before sleep nearly every night over the last few years and I haven't seen any negative impact on my physique.

Draven_Fenix
11-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Just like all of you, I too eat late. But I find it kinda hard to sleep right after eating. This is the reason for the earlier post. I find it much easier to go to sleep when eating earlier. I guess this would not be because of digestion, but the fact that the calories from the food are giving me energy. I just mentioned the digestion thing because I have heard this from people before. Didn't know if there was any truth to it but now that I think about it, the energy from the food is most likely what keeps me up. I usually can't get to sleep for an hour or so after I eat.

agentplaya1
12-01-2004, 05:05 AM
I eat just before too and sometimes I'll be tossing and turning for about a good 30-45 minutes b4 I fall asleep. I can actually feel the food digesting in my stomach so maybe that's it. And about the carbs before bed, there's no need to carbo load b4 you go to bed but you wont get fat if you just eat some carbs, preferrably low GI carbs, b4 sleep. You wanna look at your whole caloric intake throughout the day too. If carbs at night fit in then go for it, just make sure to get in slow digesting protein also. You're body is always using up energy/carbs, even while you sleep.

PaulB
12-01-2004, 05:21 AM
oh im not doubting you on high gi ... just the statement of carbs before bed = fat.

it depends. eating alot of high glycemic carbs causes insulin spikes, which shuts down fat oxidation. its one of the reasons they tell you to eat more meals a day. its to keep the insulin levels low (basically what im saying is that if you eat more low glycemic carbs, the better chance you have at losing weight.) no your not going to notice a difference when you eat a bunch of carbs at night, but that doesnt mean its not adversly affecting you.
you can eat any amount of carbs you want as long as your doing a calorie deficit and you will notice weight loss.

ryuage
12-01-2004, 05:24 AM
nm... you misunderstood me, and I dont feel like explaining. :)

PaulB
12-01-2004, 05:40 AM
i knew what you meant, but i was avoiding it because i dont know if im right or not

:(

Patz
12-02-2004, 11:04 PM
lol, paul..at least your honest