PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Dinners

PaulB
11-30-2004, 03:42 AM
Do you guys think they report the true amount of calories in their product?

For example:

Mechelles Lean Gourmet-
all entrees below 180 calories

Smartones-
all entrees below 170 calories

now ive been trusting them, doing a strict 1.75k calorie diet
but it almsot seems impossible to believe when 2 slices of bread, some lowfat turkey and light maynoise runs 350cals, heck even a soda has 140+
i mean 4oz of chicken is what 200calories?

anyone think their bsing us besides me?

Dirt
11-30-2004, 05:26 AM
No. Especially not now. If the caloric values on those dinners were significantly off someone in the American public would have filed a multi-million dollar law suit claiming they're the reason they weigh 465lbs.

Vampiro
11-30-2004, 02:52 PM
4 ozs of chicken breast, when raw is like 130 calories, what part of the chicken are you eating? I've often wondered the same thing about numerous products, if your really unsure, i would just not eat it at all.

ElPietro
11-30-2004, 02:56 PM
What is lowfat turkey? Isn't turkey fat free? Or I guess if the skin is included.

You could easily just look up the caloric values of each component included and add it up yourself a couple times. I'd guess that it'll be pretty close.

Vampiro
11-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Turkey breat is like 90 something percent fat free, but other parts vary greatly

Dirt
11-30-2004, 03:36 PM
What is lowfat turkey? Isn't turkey fat free? Or I guess if the skin is included.

You could easily just look up the caloric values of each component included and add it up yourself a couple times. I'd guess that it'll be pretty close.

Your suggestion is good, but I don't think it'd work much better than the info on the box. The reason being is most of the meat and whatever else is in those TV diners tends to be saturated with water (you could probably wring out most of the meats with a towel) so the weight of say a piece of chicken in a tv dinner, probably won't match up exactly with fresh chicken or air glazed chicken.

PaulB
11-30-2004, 03:49 PM
i was going off sliced meat packaging for my values

everything i eat is pretty much packaged, makes it alot easier for me to get the values, since i dont use measuring cups or scales

i just dont see how they can give 12oz servings of meat/veggies with under 180 calories

Vampiro
11-30-2004, 04:06 PM
everything you eat is prepackaged?? How much sodium and sat. fat are you ingesting.!?!?!?!?!?! No, on a serious note, invest like 30 something bucks on a digital food scale, you can find a cheaper one on line, its an invesment that will save money in the long haul. Pre-packaged stuff cost more, and most of the time isnt nearly as good as freash/unprocessed.