PDA

View Full Version : Learning how to cook

Jane
11-11-2001, 02:36 PM
I'm learning how to cook, and it is not working too well. :D

1. I bought some boneless skinless chicken breasts but they suspiciously look like they have a bit of skin? Is that possible at all? How do you tell what is skin/fat and what is not?

2. How do you cook vegetables in the microwave?

3. What seasonings work well w/broccoli, red pepper, yellow pepper, and onion?

Thanks!

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-11-2001, 02:50 PM
I'd like to know Belial's cookery process for Steak.

I hear he seasons with E coli.

Nice.

Alex.V
11-11-2001, 02:51 PM
You, sir, are an asshole.

Stop ruining Jane's thread.

Alex.V
11-11-2001, 02:54 PM
Oh, and it was ground beef. Note: Do not sample beef seasoning before it is done cooking.

1) Chicken breasts: usually, there will be a bit of fat on the edges, and possible in the back. Skin is easy to see; it has pores. ;)

2) Usually, just putting a little bit of water (like, 2-3 tablespoons), in the bottom of a bowl, putting the veggies on top, and covering with a paper towel, should do the job just fine.

3) You'd eat that meal on its own?

IceRgrrl
11-11-2001, 03:09 PM
Hi Jane,
I got my brother (who is living on his own for the first time) a subscription to "Cooking Light" magazine last year and he said it was a great help in learning how to cook (along with a few cookbooks and phone calls!).

"Cooking Light" usually has a good blend of recipes and meal ideas, from "30 min./5 ingredients or less" to quite fancy/exotic dishes. They've also been doing a "Cooking 101" series with a different theme each month. The pictures, instructions, and descriptions are very good and easy to follow.

I also recommend the new "Joy of Cooking"...a big thick cookbook that is sort of a "textbook" of general cooking.

Good for you for taking on the task :)

Jane
11-11-2001, 03:10 PM
what meal? chicken breasts and vegetables? I thought it was a decent meal. :cry:

Knowing me, I'd probably have two tons of grapes afterwards also. Carb overload but oh well. Not enough fat this meal, must make up for later.

Alex.V
11-11-2001, 03:15 PM
Ohhhh, thought you meant you wanted seasonings to put on top of broccoli, red pepper, yellow pepper, and onion. That didn't sound very appetizing. :)

A garlic-based sauce, or maybe a ground pepper/olive oil base would be damn good. Throw the onions and crushed garlic into a pan (with a tablespoon of olive oil).... sizzle until the onion turns opaque, add the chicken. Cook until the chicken is browned on both sides, throw in the peppers, add whatever else you want (pepper, basil, and salt... mmmm), then at the last minute throw in the broccoli. If you want to make it even tastier, throw in some chicken broth at the same time as the peppers...