PDA

View Full Version : Boosting my Bench

Chubrock
12-02-2004, 07:27 AM
Guys, I'm sure this has been asked numerous times in the past, but I hope you'll be willing to answer this one more time. I'm trying to boost my bench, because honestly, it sucks compared to my other lifts (Squat- 245lbs x 5, Dead- 275lbs).

Stats:

Weight: 164lbs
Training: ~ 10 months
Current Bench: 175lbs x 5
Goal: No certain number, just a decent increase.

I've heard of people using rack presses, lockouts, CGBP, but I was hoping some of the powerlifters, or anybody that's really focused on their bench, could help me with a routine that would in effect "boost my bench." Any help would be appreciated, but if ya don't feel the need to answer this question for the millionth time, it's cool. Thanks guys.

Pitfan04
12-02-2004, 07:33 AM
The way I do it, is just set goals. And try your hardest to get more weight each week. Adding 5 lbs a week to your last set seems to help. Push yourself, you will get it.

XxDeanerxX
12-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Negatives :thumbup:

Chubrock
12-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Pitfan- I've actually been doing that. I bench twice a week, and on the first day, I make sure I can get my weight from the previous week. On the next bench day, I attempt to push 5 more lbs. I just didn't know if there was anything in particular the powerlifters did to increase their bench.

Deaner- Should I be using more weight for my negatives, and also wouldn't I need a spot in order to do them?

ryuage
12-02-2004, 08:38 AM
powerlifters typically use max effort and dynamic/speed/repetition days

they also concentrate on bringing up parts that may help with bench such as triceps and lats.

getfit
12-02-2004, 09:42 AM
The way I do it, is just set goals. And try your hardest to get more weight each week. Adding 5 lbs a week to your last set seems to help. Push yourself, you will get it.
i have to agree with pitfan that's the way i did it and reached my 165 bench

billybadass
12-02-2004, 06:50 PM
one thing i did was, dont get use to flat bench, if you switch to incline you body has to adjust and you'll grow new muscle. switch between the two from month to month, that should help. when i started a little over a year ago, i was reping 155 on incline. now i'm doing 5 sets of 6 with 205 on incline, and i'm about to go to 215. but dont up the weight too much i went from 205 to 225 and i got stretch marks a few days later.

Anthony
12-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Are you currently progressing? If so, keep doing what you're doing. If not, there are a lot of things you can do to improve. First thing would be take a look at your form. Are you arching? Are you keeping your shoulders/lats tight on the descent? Are you driving with your legs? Chances are you're not doing any of these as well as you could be. Second, where do you fail on a max effort attempt? That will help you figure out the weak link. Take a look at this site to help: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/determining_and_strengthening.htm. Once you figure out where you are weak, then you could consider some alternative exercises such as board presses, pin presses, negatives, or whatever. Hope this helps. :)

Chubrock
12-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Anthony- I'm still progressing, but was thinking about focusing on my bench over my "hibernation" period. I do a pretty good job getting my lats tight, but I think I lack the drive with my legs. I also seem to fail about halfway up with my lifts. That chart said I need to work on my Tris. Anything in particular you would do?

ryuage
12-03-2004, 12:53 AM
board/pin/floor presses

Chubrock
12-03-2004, 04:41 AM
Half or 3/4 up?

ryuage
12-03-2004, 04:46 AM
wherever your sticking point is

Anthony
12-03-2004, 06:00 AM
:withstupi

I've been using pin presses lately and I love them because they are so difficult. You'd think they'd be similar to board presses, but they are completely different when you start from a dead stop. Great stuff for the triceps!!

Chubrock
12-03-2004, 09:02 AM
Can you explain these pin presses a bit more?

ryuage
12-03-2004, 09:23 AM
easy, set the pins at your sticking point then push from there.

Chubrock
12-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Ryuage- I know I go to a "party" school but give me more credit than that lol. I actually meant do ya do them in the rack or just on a regular bench. I'd imagine doing it on a regular bench would be a little difficult seeing as there isn't much room to move either way.

ryuage
12-03-2004, 09:41 AM
how would you do them on a regular bench? didnt mean to insult you but ya...

Brad Cardoza
12-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Buy a pair of mini Jump stretch bands from Elite Fitness Systems. Then check out some of the articles on the website about how to use them for Dynamic effort (speed) bench days. I have been using these with my athletes and breaking through plateaus like crazy.

Chubrock
12-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Ryuage- The bench racks at my gym have movable pins. You can adjust the height about a foot. I was figuring by being far enough under the pins, you could be straight off of them.

Oh yea, you didn't insult me, I was just "joshin" ya lol.

ryuage
12-03-2004, 03:37 PM
i think you are better served under a power rack

Chubrock
12-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Thought so, but figgered I'd ask. Now I just gotta kick all the curl jockeys outta the squat racks so I have some where to lift.

waynis
12-03-2004, 10:19 PM
work the opposite muscles. YOur back, rear delt muscles. work your forearms for a good steady grip. Do some physio ball push up. they will help your balance a lot.

chris mason
12-05-2004, 05:42 PM
I think you might want to save some of the "fancier" stuff until later when you are stronger.

For now, I would suggest you add 2 sets of weighted dips after your flat barbell presses. Limit your benching to 2-4 working sets and then do the dips afterwards. I suggest a rep scheme of 6-8 on the dips. Train short of failure and try to progress at each session with the dips. You should see your bench go up very nicely.

Once you are able to press 300 + lbs then I think the more exotic schemes can be employed.

Chubrock
12-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Chris- I've been doing dips for quite awhile now. I usually do 3 working sets on bench and then 3 workings sets of dips using a 5 rep scheme on both.

Maki Riddington
12-05-2004, 10:27 PM
I think you might want to save some of the "fancier" stuff until later when you are stronger.
Once you are able to press 300 + lbs then I think the more exotic schemes can be employed.

Couldn't have said it better.

Mic Soloist
12-06-2004, 05:34 AM
My benching went up nicely as I shot up from weighing 170 to weighing 195 between July and now.

I bench DB's 99% of the time. I was benching 75 DB's before the bulk, and I made it up to a few working sets with 95's. Typically stay with 90's though.

Then last week I got sick and lost weight and lost a half inch on both arms :(:(:(:(:( and now last bench day I was struggling with 85's.

I hope sh-t is back to normal this week.

To increase the bench I was doing heavy weighted dips and smashing my triceps after benching.