PDA

View Full Version : Metabolism relationship to heart rate??

dave0101
12-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Iím 10lbs into a 20 lbs cut and my resting heart rate has dropped from sixty something to forty something beats per minute. I started working out in April, but in the last six weeks have started hitting cardio regularly and hard (which is when I started my cut).

I had been assuming this was a natural improvement in cardiovascular fitness, but I seem to be bogging down at my current weight (my loss had been fairly linear up to this point), and am concerned my metabolism may be changing to accommodate the current caloric intake being provided.

I usually workout at lunch time, but worked out in the AM over the weekend and noticed my resting heart rate was up in the 60-70s all day. Does this imply that my metabolism may have been higher on the days I worked out in the AM (as opposed to lunch time wo)?

Iíve read two things that will increase your metabolism throughout the day are 1) breakfast, and 2) AM exercise (neither of which I do, I make it tuntil 11:00AM and have a bar on my way to the gym).

Can relative changes in resting heart rate be used as a gauge for metabolism?

Any other comments?

Thanks,
Barry

Paul Stagg
12-07-2004, 08:32 AM
I wouldn't use heart rate, I would use body temp.

TheGimp
12-08-2004, 12:58 AM
I would assume that the drop in resting heart rate is most likely a result of your cardio regime.

If your weight loss has slowed then perhaps it is time for a refeed.

dave0101
12-08-2004, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the comments. If you don't mind, I have two questions:
1) what is the relationship between body temp and metabolism?
2) what is a refeed?
Thanks

TheGimp
12-08-2004, 08:07 AM
A refeed is a day of eating above maintenance in order to boost your metabolism. The frequency with which you need to refeed will be a function of your body fat and calorie deficit.

ryuage
12-08-2004, 08:11 AM
you could use body temp as a way to gauge your thyroid output... if its below normal most likely it has slowed down a bit.

dave0101
12-08-2004, 08:51 AM
thanks!