PDA

View Full Version : eat right forever?

MartialArtist
12-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Hey how’s going everyone, I just signed up today and thought I would write this to tell you a little about me. The majority of the time I will be looking for help but in some areas I might be able to help as well. I do have some knowledge in lifting I worked with a professional trainer for about a year who taught me a lot about lifting and different protocols to use. The thing I do lack in understanding is Nutrition! I hope to gain some information that at least puts me on the right path. With that said lets get down to business.

Name: Russell
Sex: Male
Height: 5’8”
Weight:170lbs
Body Fat: 25%
My intersect: Martial arts, Urban Free flow or “Parkout” (www.urbanfreeflow.com) for those who don’t know what it is , bboying, lifting.

What I am looking to do:
Right now I have a slight “spare tire” look going not to noticeable to everyone else but it is to me. I want to increase my Energy and by that I mean improved sport performance. I would also like to lose this stubborn fat in my midsection. Any suggestions?

Sample of what I eat now:

Mon-Fri
Wake up at 6am
eat at 9am - Tuna, or 6inch sub
1:30 lunch, steak sub, or some kind of meat and carb
5pm dinner complex carbs and some source of protein.

I know I should eat 6 times a day but I don't even have access to a kitchen where I am living now. What I eat is what I buy that day help please!

Vido
12-06-2004, 01:32 PM
You don't have access to a kitchen, but what about a fridge?

Đragons
12-06-2004, 01:33 PM
whats the cals? macro's?

doesnt seem like a lot to eat tbh

MartialArtist
12-06-2004, 01:57 PM
You don't have access to a kitchen, but what about a fridge?
I do have a fridge at work but no where I live I have a room and that is it, I am not at home much anyway...

MartialArtist
12-06-2004, 01:59 PM
whats the cals? macro's?

doesnt seem like a lot to eat tbh

to be honest I don't know its not a lot though, I am usally hungrey when I go to bed. Cash (or lack of it) has something to do about that.

Vido
12-07-2004, 01:06 AM
I do have a fridge at work but no where I live I have a room and that is it, I am not at home much anyway...

Where are you most of the time then?

Make use of that fridge at work.

MartialArtist
12-07-2004, 06:40 AM
Where are you most of the time then?

Make use of that fridge at work.

I spend most of my time out of the house, weather I am doing Martial arts, parkour, or with my girl. What things would you recommend to get as I don’t have a stove to cook anything but we do have a very small microwave at work as well.

Y2A
12-07-2004, 08:09 AM
I went to that website and I still have no idea wtf parkour is :confused:

MartialArtist
12-07-2004, 08:51 AM
I went to that website and I still have no idea wtf parkour is :confused:

lol if you check out some of the video's you will understand I will post a link to the video if that helps... http://tracers.ru/gallery/tracers_videos_3b_episodes_pkland

hope this helps give you an idea its a great work out!

galileo
12-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Martial Arts + 25% bf + Not enough cash to eat = ??

Nope, doesn't add up.

MartialArtist
12-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Martial Arts + 25% bf + Not enough cash to eat = ??

Nope, doesn't add up.

incase you didn't know but if you don't eat your muscle goes bye bye! and your body goes into a "starvation mode" and stores fat. I am guessing around 20 - 25% body fat. I do not look fat at all but I notice it because I have been at 10% body fat before. So I am not sure what you mean by it doesn't add up...

galileo
12-07-2004, 10:16 AM
No offense, but thermodynamics don't change for you. If you aren't eating enough, you don't magically store fat, you lose weight - period. To store fat, you overeat. If you're performing martial arts with any regularity and eating at a deficit, you would not be 25%.

MartialArtist
12-07-2004, 11:21 AM
No offense, but thermodynamics don't change for you. If you aren't eating enough, you don't magically store fat, you lose weight - period. To store fat, you overeat. If you're performing martial arts with any regularity and eating at a deficit, you would not be 25%.

First of I never said "magically" what I mean is your body takes what food you do eat and stores the best way possible to survive end of story (from what I have read) that could be wrong but from what I see on myself it is somewhat true. 2nd your not really helping so what is your point here other then to give me a hard time. I am simply looking for help for my current situation none of which you are doing so why are posting? Is this board here to help people or to argue with them? Also "you lose weight - period" what kind of weight do you think you are losing here if you lose muscle does your fat to muscle ratio not go down? Therefore becoming fatter?

galileo
12-07-2004, 12:00 PM
I'm going to preface this by saying that this isn't "picking" or degrading you. I'm going to offer up some assistance when more information is derived from your posts.

You have taken a general principle and turned it into an excuse. I simply implied that if you were into martial arts and didn't eat much, you're not going to be 25%. Leading to the point that you likely need to clean up what diet you have.

I am an endomorph and I did Martial Arts for years. I'd say, no matter what I ate, I was about 10% while I trained. So, using that as a given :
170 @ 25% = 42.5lbs of fat.
425 @ 10% = 42.5lbs of fat.

To be 10% with the same amount of fat (assuming you can't gain any without a caloric surplus), you would have to be 425lbs. So, not eating enough and losing weight to throw your bodyfat that high would require a loss of 255lbs from your gargantuan 425lb physique. As you can see, even at 15% maintained through martial arts, you still have a ton of muscle to lose to get the effect that you're talking about.

Now, the good stuff. Your maintenance can drop from not eating, but studies show that it'll never floor without a thyroid issue. Your maintenance will lower from muscle loss, but only by about 15 calories for every pound.

To put on fat, you must have a caloric surplus of some sort. Hence, you're eating over maintenance at some point, even beyond what you can burn off in martial arts. Anorexics aren't fat, ya dig?

Solution is to clean up your diet with whole quality foods that keep you full. Oatmeal is cheap, eggs are cheap, boneless chicken breasts are fairly cheap, tuna - cheap, etc.

Monitor what you eat for a day and count the calories. Include desserts, candy, anything that you put in your mouth. Once you see what you're eating, you will know where to go to make progress. Do you use dressing on your steak sub? Most subs of that nature I've seen are over 1000 calories, which for a single meal can really assist in putting you over your limit.

MartialArtist
12-07-2004, 12:29 PM
I am starting to understand what you are talking about. Also I really have no idea what body fat % I am at I am only guess based on what I see in the mirror. I might be being to hard on myself who knows. I will admit what I eat isn't all that great. A lot of that does come from not having a kitchen/stove to cook on. I have 1 small microwave at work that I can use and that is about it. I really need help with ideas on what I can eat that isn't going to need to be cooked or if it does I can do it in a 10 or 30 min period like on a break at work or at lunch and when I get out of work I usually hit up Subway for a Turkey Sub, at work I have been going to the sub place in the building and I get a steak and cheese I am sure that is over 1000 calories. But it’s cheap! From 6am until 5pm I belong to the company that I work for so its just hard finding wholesome foods that will keep me full on a tight schedule with no kitchen. I have a Fridge at work also that everyone uses so it can get quit nasty in there. I desperately need ideas on how I can permanently change my eating habits even with this type of schedule. You also said more information was needed I am assuming you want exactly what I eat in a day. I don't eat the same thing everyday so I am not sure what you want really. Also do you guys eat the same thing everyday? If you don’t how do you keep track of all of the nutrients you are eating?

MartialArtist
12-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Anorexics aren't fat, ya dig?

what do you call the people who are skinny and still flabby? they don't have muscle so what is it? I would think it would be fat deposits from there eating habits. I am sure I am wrong here but I call them "skinny fat".

MartialArtist
12-07-2004, 12:36 PM
www.geocities.com/trinin1017 This is my "martial art" site. I have a pic up you can tell me what body fat % I am at...

MartialArtist
12-07-2004, 12:38 PM
http://www.geocities.com/trinin1017/strikearea.html here is a better link of the pic you will notice the slight "spare tire" look I am talking about

galileo
12-07-2004, 12:44 PM
The easy one first - http://www.fitday.com allows you to store foods and look up values for them. There are other similar sites/products, but that works just fine.

Here are a list of non-cooked foods that I enjoy (or tolerate):
turkey breast (whatever is low-fat and on sale)
tuna
old-fashioned oatmeal
cottage cheese
broccoli/spinach/leafy green vegetables
plain ff yogurt mixed with protein powder
protein shakes (micellar casein, milk protein isolate, or a blend).
berries/apples
natural peanut butter

Any meal of the previous would be cheaper and easier than most things you'd get at Subway. When going to Subway, also choose subs without cheese and pick a "lighter" dressing when possible.

I have a group of meals that fits into whatever plan I'm going with, then I just rotate things around as I see fit. Things are uch easier when you have a stove though. You don't have to eat the same thing everyday, but I've grown used to the same type of foods on a consitent basis. It makes the days that you eat crappy food that much better.

To keep full, oats and veggies help a lot as to whole meat proteins; 8oz of chicken breast totally fills me.

Good luck.

galileo
12-07-2004, 12:46 PM
You are a psychopath, by the way. You are easily 10% or less. Now I just gotta laugh.

MartialArtist
12-07-2004, 01:41 PM
You are a psychopath, by the way. You are easily 10% or less. Now I just gotta laugh.
I have no way of testing what body fat % I am but I can grab way to much for my liking around my midsection!!! theres like an inch or 2 of fat I can grab. Like I said I am only trying to target my lower midsection everyone else is fine and I don't look fat at all.

MartialArtist
12-07-2004, 01:45 PM
one last thing thanks for you help and I will be going shoping this weekend for the cheap food you listed! Thanks for you help.

Organichu
12-07-2004, 01:46 PM
If that's 25%, time for me to commit seppuku. ;_;

-makes ceremonial abdominal cut-

The honors, Gal? :l

galileo
12-07-2004, 01:49 PM
lol. Just skip any sugary **** you might eat, up the martial arts activity slightly and you'll be fine. You're very lean!

Also - if you look at yourself and think that 1/4 of your body is made up of fat, you'll see how silly 25% sounds at your appearance.

galileo
12-07-2004, 01:49 PM
If that's 25%, time for me to commit seppuku. ;_;

-makes ceremonial abdominal cut-

The honors, Gal? :l

I now feel obese. :)

Frozenmoses
12-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Seriously, if you were 20-25%, I'd be at like 35%, and I only weigh 151 lbs. You need to check yo' head.

MartialArtist
12-09-2004, 03:34 PM
I just believe I can reach a much high level of fitness and well being then I am at now, I say this becuase I really have not put any effort fitness only Martial arts and Parkour. Maybe I was already on the right path and just didn't know it.

AKraut
12-10-2004, 02:31 AM
Anorexics aren't fat, ya dig?

Hahahaha. That cracked me up.