PDA

View Full Version : WTF on my squat

bIgHwN86
12-06-2004, 05:38 PM
ok today was max effort lower body day..i go into the gym feeling like superman. i have my STATIC X cd blaring in my ears. i stretch out. do some bar squats and then i am off. the plates go on on and until i get to it, my max (i'm not going to say it b/c i am totally pissed at it), it just pins me.

now i know that if your box squats go up and your good mornings go up..your squat is bound to go up..

Good M:
from 245x1 -> 315x2

Box SQ:
from 365x1 -> 405x1

my squat actually went down. or it may have plateaued..
my dynamic effort days are good. i usually go by feel and i usually go with 225 as my weight.. about 70-75% of my one rep max. now i know i sound like a little girl bitchin'..but hey this pissed me off..suggestions for next westside cyle for squats..

Anthony
12-06-2004, 05:47 PM
How did you build up to the max? List the sets ... 135x3, 225x3, etc?

Sensei
12-06-2004, 05:50 PM
now i know that if your box squats go up and your good mornings go up..your squat is bound to go up..

Good M:
from 245x1 -> 315x2

Box SQ:
from 365x1 -> 405x1

my squat actually went down. or it may have plateaued..
my dynamic effort days are good. i usually go by feel and i usually go with 225 as my weight.. about 70-75% of my one rep max...suggestions for next westside cyle for squats..

Sometimes you have to find the right ME exercises. I don't think GMs necessarily work for everyone all the time.

Is that box squat max from a low box? If it's a low box, then it's strange that your regular squat wouldn't improve, but increases in a parallel or high box squat don't really transfer to a better parallel squat for me.

Your DE day %s seem a bit high. I would back off on the main sets to 55-65% and occasionally hit a heavy single or double at the end of the DE sets.

How long was your training cycle?

bIgHwN86
12-06-2004, 05:52 PM
i did:

45x10
135x6
225x5
275x3
295x3
315x3
365x1
385x1
405xfailed (friggin pinned)

it was off of a parallel box..hmm that is interesting..wish i could find a below parallel box.. and my training cycle went for about 3months..

Anthony
12-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Build up looks fine. How did the 385 feel when you unracked it and also during the lift? How fast was it? How did 405 feel when you unracked it? You might have psyched yourself out!

bIgHwN86
12-06-2004, 06:01 PM
the 385 felt alright..i might have tweaked my back on the 3rd rep of the 315..but i shrugged it off and threw on the belt..it went up with some struggling..not fast at all..but i felt like i could beat myself into the 405..the 405 for some reason felt like 315..that is why i was so pissed...

Chris Rodgers
12-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Do you squat raw or in gear?

For a while now I have squatted speed work with the SSB on Wednesday and I always start Saturday with heavy free squats(diff gear combos and sometimes with bands or chains, sometimes not). Check my journal.

When I used to follow a more conventional Westside with box only as well as heavy GMS, etc., my squat was much lower. I have increaed it from ~425 to 625 in the last 18 months or so from doing this. Just my $0.02.

The_Brick
12-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Does raw include belt and knee wraps?

bIgHwN86
12-06-2004, 08:25 PM
:withstupi

if gear is means squatting with a suit then i am a raw squatter..
but i am guessing i squat with gear b/c i use belt and wraps..

so wait u mean instead of box squats u do a regular squat for max effort..hmm..gotta check your journal more. i was thinking about cutting the box squats, but i like to know where parallel is.

*edit*
damn chris you are an ANIMAL :ninja: :evillaugh when it comes to squatting..i alos see that you do not use a DE day for bench..you have an Assistance day..WHY?

biggimp
12-06-2004, 10:05 PM
385 isnt a bad squat at all, just keep working and it will go up.

Adam
12-07-2004, 04:23 AM
Couple things to try: Try dropping your DE weight, i use <50%, raise the height of your box on DE day, mine's right at parrelel(i used to use one ~2" under but i found my strength went way up when i used the higher box, do you plan on competeting? if so, would you use a suit?

Paul Stagg
12-07-2004, 08:44 AM
I think it was the Static X. Try Hatebreed.

:)

Could have just been a bad day. Also, if it's been a while since you last squatted without a box, you may need another session of free squatting to get your groove. I'm experimenting with that now, because I had a similar scenario - my ME work was going up, but my squat didn't really respond as I expected... now I'm going to try to incorporate more squats (in varying degrees of equipment to learn the suit) without a box on ME days - maybe once every 4-5 weeks.

chris mason
12-07-2004, 12:13 PM
S.A.I.D.

Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demand.

If you already have a reasonable strength base and want to get stronger at a given movement you must perform that movement.

Now, if you just squat for a couple of sessions in a row I am willing to bet you set a new PR.

ElPietro
12-07-2004, 12:27 PM
225 is not 70-75% of your 1rm. Maybe it was a typo, but it's not even 60% if it wasn't. Just thought I'd point that out.

I was going to say pretty much what Chris just summed up, your first time out going for a squat PR probably would fail, having not full squatted near your 1rm in some time. So maybe next session or the session after it will be a new record. So I'd say just use regular squats as your ME exercise for the next couple weeks and see where you end up.

bIgHwN86
12-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Paul: nah i don't think it was the STATIC X..HATEBREED never heard of them..

thanx chris: i was thinking something like that was happening, but i will just do more full squats instead of box squats as ME exercises..and incorporate the box for my DE/Speed days..

El Pietro: no it was bad math..58% of max..

thanks for the replies guys..i will post up my new westside cycle soon on this post.

Adam
12-07-2004, 12:57 PM
maybe he meant 325? the #'s work out.

bIgHwN86
12-07-2004, 01:00 PM
no it was 385..i just brain farted when doing the numbers

bIgHwN86
12-07-2004, 06:20 PM
here is the newly updated routine:

ME SQ/DL:
Max Effort Ex--> work up to 1-3 rep max
Assistance Ex--> 5x5-8
Abdominals

DE SQ/DL:
Wave
50%-
55% - 10x2
60%-
Assistance Exercise---> 5x5-8
Abdominals
(on the third week of each wave do Speed Deads)

ME Bench:
ME Exercise---> 1 rep max
Press movement---> 3x5
Extension---> 3x6-8
Lats---> 4x8
light to no shoulder sets
Abs

DE bench
60% of max--. 8x3
Everything else is same as above

focus mostly on lower body, since i am really pissed at my lower body strength..my upper body i could care less for..i changed my upper body routine because if the lower body workout changes then everything changes..just a little pet peeve of mines..Approval/Suggestions

Adam and Chris the above may look familiar b/c they are from your article and journal..thanks for the texts..