PDA

View Full Version : Please critique! 1.5 months progress

RMW USMC
12-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Hello everyone,

First a short introduction. My name is Rob, I am 20 years old, and I am about to go into the Marine Corps. Boot camp starts January 2nd and I have been working out consistently since mid October, 2004. That is comprised of going to the gym for 60-90 minutes 5 days a week.

I wanted to gain much more muscle mass and strength before leaving for boot camp as I originally intended to go in more around July, 2005. However plans changed and it works out better for me to go in when I am. I have 3 months at boot camp and then another 3 months of additional training. I will complete training and come home around June, 2005. I will be a Private First Class and will be in the Marine Reserves throughout college but then go active as soon as I complete college.

I have become addicted to the gym and I want to go on a major body building diet and routine once I return from training. I did not want to bother going on supplements or creatine or so forth before boot camp.

Anyway here are my before pictures - a joke! I weighed in at ~192lbs. This is from September 14th, 2004:

http://www.jerretthouse.com/rob/before_1.jpg

http://www.jerretthouse.com/rob/before_2.jpg

http://www.jerretthouse.com/rob/before_3.jpg

http://www.jerretthouse.com/rob/before_4.jpg

As you can see, I did not even look happy. I was not happy whatsoever with my weight and the way I looked. You'll also notice that I had bad breakouts on my back and shoulders. I started going tanning the next day and have been going ever since. Please ignore my cheesy poses in those pictures.

And here is me now, as of two days ago at a nice ~172lbs:

http://www.jerretthouse.com/rob/after_1.jpg

http://www.jerretthouse.com/rob/after_2.jpg

http://www.jerretthouse.com/rob/after_3.jpg

http://www.jerretthouse.com/rob/after_4.jpg

Just trying to get my abs to flex as much as possible here:
http://www.jerretthouse.com/rob/after_5.jpg

Can anyone guess my approximate current body fat percentage btw? Thanks...

So, there you have it. I do not take any supplements. I do not take Creatine. I do not even take protein shakes. What I do is go to the gym 4-5 days a week for the time that I said above. I eat healthy foods, that are low in fat or have next to no fat, and do not eat any fried foods. I eat whatever will give me good energy sources, a healthy amount of lean meat, carbs, protein. I ONLY drink water and Powerade, ever. Nothing else. That too has made a huge difference. I do not eat fast food whatsoever and I do not have anything with caffeine in it. I do not eat snacks, just balanced meals.

Now, as I said above when I return from training I will be going on a major muscle mass building diet and excercise plan. I want to gain considerable size all around and bulk up. This time, muscle not fat. I want to lower body fat percentage as well. I am sure by the time I finish all my training I will be MUCH MUCH leaner and have a little more definition but I am sure at some degree I will lose strength since I will not be able to hit the weights for basically 3-6 months.

Well, I would appreciate ANY and ALL feedback. I apologize for such a long introductory post. But I wanted to make sure I said everything I needed to say. I know I am SMALL still compared to A LOT of members on this site. But I am looking for as much feedback as possible.....especially considering what I was, and am now and in such a short time span. I still have another month to strengthen up and tone before I leave.

BTW, I want to close by saying this site has been INVALUABLE to me. I have done MAJOR lurking on here but now that I actually have something that I am proud to post as progress, I wanted to share and get some feedback. Also the main site articles are great as well. Again, invaluable. I look forward to making some huge progress once I return from training and begin the supplements, creatine and so forth...

Organichu
12-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Semper fi- I'm considering enlistment, too. Parris or SD?

Definitely awesome progress- I've never ever heard of someone not losing mass during training, but hopefully you'll come out lean enough that you can eat to your heart's content without any regrets. You've made great progress in the time period given.

Good job, and good luck!

Edit: just saw you're in NJ, so Parris. I'm in Philly.

RMW USMC
12-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Semper fi- I'm considering enlistment, too. Parris or SD?

Definitely awesome progress- I've never ever heard of someone not losing mass during training, but hopefully you'll come out lean enough that you can eat to your heart's content without any regrets. You've made great progress in the time period given.

Good job, and good luck!
Thanks so much! If you ever need any help or have questions about the Marine Corps, no matter the route you wish to take, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time between now and January 1st, 2005 and then from June 2005 on. I will be more than willing to answer your questions.

Thanks again and some of the images weren't working before but they are now.

I will be going to boot camp @ Parris Island. Anyone west of the Mississipi River goes to San Diego, vice versa Parris Island.

MixmasterNash
12-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Damn, I would move west before boot, just to go through SD. :D Huge improvement in a short timeframe! Good luck getting your ass kicked in camp, and you'll come out one tough SOB. You can always bulk later!

galileo
12-07-2004, 05:32 AM
Height?

ryuage
12-07-2004, 05:50 AM
great progress

GrumpyTX
12-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Progress looks good.

I could give you alot of advice on things to do before and during boot camp, but that would take away from all the fun of the experience. :omg:

RMW USMC
12-07-2004, 09:51 AM
Height?
5'11"

Progress looks good.

I could give you alot of advice on things to do before and during boot camp, but that would take away from all the fun of the experience. :omg:
Well, I'd certainly appreciate any advice you may have for me!

GrumpyTX
12-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Okay, here are some things you need to do.

Physically:
Run alot.
Do pullups.
Do alot of crunches and sittups to improve the your numbers.
Run in place lifting knees high and arms straight out.
Do jumping jacks till you cant do anymore and keep going.
Do pushups until you puke (happened numerous times)

Now mentally:
Clear your mind.
Write home alot, it helps to relieve stress and fun to read your thoughts after boot.
Be patient (nothing is ever right no matter how many times you do it)
Be understanding (everyone is in the same boat, getting mad at a fellow recruit looks bad in a drill instructors eyes and can have penalties such as no squad leader or guide position)

Most important:
As soon as you realize that the drill instructors are just doing a job, you will start to have fun.

Get alot of sleep the days before you go. Nerves and excitement will keep you from sleeping but once you get there, you will not sleep for 3 days.

Do not shave your head before you go. It only hurts worse because the barbers like to cut long hair and if you have none, they will try harder to cut whatever is there.

Inform the barbers of any moles on your head right away. They will ask you and if your embarrased or scared, they will cut them off and it will hurt and bleed like crazy.

Study the "knowledge". You will have lots of classes and you will learn alot but it will be hard to stay awake and those that excel pay attention and learn.

If you dont know how to swim, learn now.

Enjoy the "chicken dance".. You will never forget that experience.

Start sitting around the house "Indian style" (cross legged on floor). You will be doing this alot and it is very uncomfortable if you not use to it.

Learn the creed, general orders, and hymn before you go. It makes it easier.
Look up the creed "This is my rifle, there are many like it...."
(The recruiter should have given you a booklet that contains the info)

If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

GrumpyTX
12-07-2004, 10:12 AM
I just looked over your pics.

Let your hair grow out. The barbers hate guys who come in with the "OOH-RAH" haircut. You have to earn that hair cut, called a high-n-tight, and you wont get that till the second phase at least. You will be shaved bald for the at least all of the 1st phase and some of the second.

RMW USMC
12-07-2004, 10:22 AM
I just looked over your pics.

Let your hair grow out. The barbers hate guys who come in with the "OOH-RAH" haircut. You have to earn that hair cut, called a high-n-tight, and you wont get that till the second phase at least. You will be shaved bald for the at least all of the 1st phase and some of the second.
I'll try but I really don't have much time since I basically have 26 days until I leave for boot camp. I guess I will just keep getting a 0 on the sides but let it grow on the top.

Thanks for your other advice though. Besides just hitting the gym I do of course do a lot of pullups, crunches, and pushups. Those are not a problem for me. I did overtrain my legs so I am giving them a rest for a week but I have been running consistently 2 miles. Before I hurt them I was running 3 miles 5 days a week. Now I'm just trying to let my legs repair and then I will run for the two to three weeks I have before I leave for boot camp.

I do have the Welcome Aboard booklet and I have definitely been studying it. My recruiters have told me several times that the info in there is extremely important to anyone going in and that it will give you a considerable leg up on anyone that doesn't know it all before leaving.

Swimming also isn't a problem for me. Thanks again for all your advice and anything else you have please let me know.

RMW USMC
12-07-2004, 10:15 PM
I forgot to put up a legs shot. Well, here's one I just took. Sorry no before picture.

http://www.jerretthouse.com/rob/legs.jpg

And here's with one of my calve muscles flexed:

http://www.jerretthouse.com/rob/legs2.jpg

Senator
12-07-2004, 10:30 PM
First of all, best of luck with Marine boot camp. If you have the drive to transform your body, then you'll no doubt do well with boot camp. It's evident that you have the self discipline. Secondly, I commend on the job you have done changing not only your body but your lifestyle. Like you, I've avoided the fast food joints and junk food for the past several years and feel better now than I did five years ago. It's true that bodybuilding is not a sport....it's a lifestyle. Congrats on your progress and good luck with boot camp.

RMW USMC
04-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Back from boot camp...

http://www.explorerx.com/rob/P1011402.JPG

I lost over 30lbs!!!

Veritas
04-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Wow... You lost a bunch of weight. So how does it feel to be, (192lbs-172lbs+30lbs) 50lbs lighter? Time to start bulking?

RMW USMC
04-14-2005, 04:29 PM
It feels GREAT to have lost all that weight. Man I remember very clearly what I felt like exactly a year ago, going into the summer of '04 and it was disgusting. I have so much more energy and am very agile and working out is a lot easier...especially running.

Right now I really want to continue to burn fat and lean out, and pack on the muscle pounds. Any advice?? I basically have a "clean" base....

Beast
04-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Your bodyfat in those last pics look around 14%. Looking a lot better.

Future Marine
04-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Can't see the last set of pics man. Says Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /rob/P1011402.JPG on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

RMW USMC
04-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Can't see the last set of pics man. Says Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /rob/P1011402.JPG on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request
Drag and drop the address into your address bar on your browser and you can view it.

Bohizzle
04-15-2005, 11:03 AM
You definately look a lot leaner, congrats on transforming your body originally, u did a heck of a job. and congrats on completing bootcamp, i doubt many could. and lastly u look like u lost a lot of BF during boot camp but it also looks like u lost some muscle mass :(, good luck on ur goals!

Andrew

Patz
04-15-2005, 09:40 PM
congratulations on finishing boot camp. i've seen several threads about it on this forum, but few updates (bignic doesnt count..we all knew he'd return)..

you definitely dropped 30lbs..wow

All I can suggest is EAT. Eat and lift. You've obviously got the discipline for it, so read up on a bulking diet, and go do it.