PDA

View Full Version : alcohol and lifting

oubobcat20
12-07-2004, 02:55 PM
ok heres the deal, im a college student, im a college student in a fraternity, im a college student who goes to a college in the middle of no the woods where there is nothing to do but drink, please keep this in mind when u answer my question..........................

Is there any alcohol that u would suggest over another? I already drink a low carb and low calorie beer (natty light), but is there any hard alcohol that is somewhat better than others for a guy who lifts 4-5 times a week. I have a decent build but i just wanted to know what u guys would choose to drink that wouldnt kill all of the gains you make in the gym, just tryn to figure out how not to turn into a softy through my next few years of college, i ussually will eat good protein and drink alot of water and wait like 4 hours between after i lift and before i drink my first beer.

I just dont want all my gains goin out the window, figure id ask u knowledgeable guys what u thought, just keep in mind that i will prolly continue drinkn 4 nights a week, thanks for your input, josh

Frozenmoses
12-07-2004, 03:03 PM
I would find it hard to make decent gains drinking 4 nights a week. How much drinking are you doing on these nights? Are you getting smashed, or just having a couple beers?

Adam
12-07-2004, 04:54 PM
here's some reeading
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=30255

geoffgarcia
12-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Is there any alcohol that u would suggest over another?the background info was not needed on this question as the answer is a universal- no

Gun Show
12-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Everyone has their favorites.

emjlr3
12-08-2004, 01:45 PM
i drink twice a week pretty hard and i am fine, coors L or miller L for me

Vido
12-08-2004, 03:47 PM
No alcohol is good for you, so if you're going to do harm to your body you may as well enjoy it. Drink whatever you like.

anyone
12-08-2004, 04:35 PM
The conventional wisdom is that you won't be able to make as big of gains if you were not drinking.

Enjoy college, but don't drink too much. If your going to drink 4 nights a week try to keep it under control and not get wasted everynight. Alcoholism is bad. Try to get the most out of your workouts by getting as much sleep as you can, rehydrating after a night of drinking, eating as clean as possible, and replenishing your b vitamins, which I remember reading that alcohol depletes them.

edit: I agree. If you're going to drink, drink something you like drinking. Not some piss in a can natty light. Shudder.

Adam
12-08-2004, 06:06 PM
:withstupi
Drinking will not help with your gains, only take away.
drinking once or twice a week will not kill you, just be smart.

agentplaya1
12-09-2004, 04:56 AM
Being in a frat in college in the middle of nowhere sounds like excuses. Make a choice, which is more important to you, drinking 4 nights a week or lifting? There's your answer right there.

Dirt
12-09-2004, 06:44 AM
If you're drinking 4 nights a week I'd be more concerned with my general health rather than gains in the gym. Also If I were you, I'd question why I was even wasting my time in college if I planned to be drunk the majority of the week...

ericg
12-09-2004, 10:29 AM
natty light aye? not only is it light in the tummy its light in the wallet.

i like quality or quantity.

BMMack
12-09-2004, 01:19 PM
I think most people are in agreement that chronic or excessive drinking will negate some of your gains, but what about smaller/more infrequent doses of alcohol? An old boss invited me out for a drink on Monday. I had 2 oz of JD on ice, and that was it. I find it hard to believe that this is enough to have any effect at all on my lifting. Even if the body stops protein synthesis, etc. until it rids itself of the alcohol, that took a couple of hours that evening at best. I still took in 158 empty calories, but that I can deal with.

geoffgarcia
12-09-2004, 02:50 PM
I think most people are in agreement that chronic or excessive drinking will negate some of your gains, but what about smaller/more infrequent doses of alcohol? An old boss invited me out for a drink on Monday. I had 2 oz of JD on ice, and that was it. I find it hard to believe that this is enough to have any effect at all on my lifting. Even if the body stops protein synthesis, etc. until it rids itself of the alcohol, that took a couple of hours that evening at best. I still took in 158 empty calories, but that I can deal with.I track my diet/weight closely...I see a 3 day impact on my stats following a night of 3-6 drinks...I've been measuring long enough and seen this occur every single time without fail.
just cuz you dont see/feel an obvious difference doesn't mean your not being negatively impacted...

Pringlewheels
12-09-2004, 03:12 PM
If you drink merely for the effects, stick to hard drinks like vodka (mixed with OJ) or whisky etc...

Also dry white wine is a good option, you can get pretty inebriated if you so desire in a less calorie dense way from beer, and you get that sophisticated charm thing.. Unless you drink out the bottle

geoffgarcia
12-09-2004, 03:28 PM
white wine is less calorie dense than beerau contraire

Beer: 150 calories - 12 oz
Red Wine: 105 calories - 5 oz glass
White Wine: 100 calories - 5 oz glass

Pringlewheels
12-09-2004, 03:54 PM
au contraire

Beer: 150 calories - 12 oz
Red Wine: 105 calories - 5 oz glass
White Wine: 100 calories - 5 oz glass

Yeah but in terms of how drunk you can get, you reach the same level of intoxication with less calories on wine/liquer than beer

AKraut
12-10-2004, 02:37 AM
5 oz of wine is equivalent in alcohol content to a 12 oz beer or 1 oz 80 proof liquor.

Frozenmoses
12-10-2004, 02:43 AM
White wine is also gay as hell. Don't drink it.

abwowang
12-10-2004, 03:00 AM
bottom line is this..
if u wanna make gains..
dont drink.. it is quite counterproductive.. it clearly works against u..
first u should try not drinkin 4 times a week.. daaamn

agentplaya1
12-10-2004, 03:18 AM
I don't think the dude is even lookin at this thread anymore, he's probably out drinkin the night away :alcoholic:

fen2zla
12-10-2004, 04:01 AM

Agreed. Theres just something about a big guy who goes up to a bar and orders a chardonnay.

Asylum
12-10-2004, 05:59 AM
I like sugarfree Red Bull and Vodka. Gets you where you're going fast and you don't need to drink much of it. There's only 10 cals and 3g of carbs in it. (from the Red Bull at least, dont know what you get from the vodka).

TheGimp
12-10-2004, 06:12 AM
A shot of vodka is about 50 cals

Dirt
12-10-2004, 06:19 AM

:withstupi
Next thing you know someone will be in the thread suggesting broken down golf karts and mai tais...

Eddan
12-10-2004, 08:46 AM

But you can always butch it up a notch by adding club soda. Remember, nothing spells respect like a super-manly wine spritzerů ;)

Anyway, the main problem with alcohol is the effects on metabolism etc; not the calorie content per se. So you might as well drink something you like.

crazedwombat
12-10-2004, 09:40 AM
bah to get to the good stuff drink "crack in a cup"

1 expresso
1 shot baileys
1 shot colua
1 shot vodka

redbull & vodka x 50 = 1 crack in a cup

not good for gains but i love redbull and vodka for the whole upper/downer sensation at the same time. crack in a cup is much more powerful...so i rarely drink either...lifting is more important. but when i go to comedy clubs, 2 drink minimum it tends to be long islands

geoffgarcia
12-10-2004, 09:44 AM
colua? the town in Angola?
or did you mean kahlua?