PDA

View Full Version : How much protein post-workout?

trojan1444
12-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Ok, I eat breakfast about an 90 minutes before I workout, and that consists of about 380 calories, 35g protein and 45g carbs. After I workout, how much protein should I having in my PWO shake? I've read that too much protein can slow down the simple carbs that are needed to replenish your glycogen stores.

Also, keep in mind that I'm going to be eating a small meal again about 90 minutes after my PWO shake.

I weigh around 130-135 lbs btw.

geoffgarcia
12-08-2004, 02:21 PM
I take 25% of my bw

so 30-40g at your weight should be good

trojan1444
12-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Sounds good; that's about what I'm having right now: 2 scoops Designer whey, a banana and a cup of Gatorade. Makes 350 calories, 36g protein, 45g carbs.

Vido
12-08-2004, 02:47 PM
I've read that too much protein can slow down the simple carbs that are needed to replenish your glycogen stores.

Your glycogen stores will be replenished regardless. What difference does it make if that happens an hour after you lift or 6 hours after you lift? (Note: I'm not saying these times are accurate, I'm only using them to serve a purpose.) It's for that reason that you don't even NEED simple carbs post-workout. Have them if you want, but it's not a necessity.

In addition, you'd be surprised how little muscle glycogen is lost during a workout in the first place.

ryuage
12-08-2004, 03:17 PM
yah somewhere in the realm of 5g for every 2 sets.

agentplaya1
12-09-2004, 03:47 AM
Your glycogen stores will be replenished regardless. What difference does it make if that happens an hour after you lift or 6 hours after you lift? (Note: I'm not saying these times are accurate, I'm only using them to serve a purpose.) It's for that reason that you don't even NEED simple carbs post-workout. Have them if you want, but it's not a necessity.

In addition, you'd be surprised how little muscle glycogen is lost during a workout in the first place.

I believe the simple carbs is not just for glycogen replenishment but also for a greater insulin response, leading to greater protein uptake by the cells.