PDA

View Full Version : Which is worse?

KiwiBuilder
12-08-2004, 03:18 PM
If I'm feeling hungry and I'm not somewhere I can eat 'proper' food, which is the lesser of the two evils:

1) Eat something even though it's not good for the diet, or
2) Battle through the hunger and let the cortisol do its thing, even though it will cannibalise some muscle?

ryuage
12-08-2004, 03:19 PM
what are your goals... and its not hard to find an easy substitute that isnt junk.

Vido
12-08-2004, 03:21 PM
You're not going to lose any muscle just because you don't eat every couple of hours. However, if the "non-clean" food fits into your caloric limitations, then go for it.

KiwiBuilder
12-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Goals? Do you mean bulking or cutting? Either way I would have thought that cortisol was a no no. But I'm guessing your question is more related to what sort of food is considered 'bad'.

If I'm stuck here in the office after work waiting to be picked up, with food available other than what's in the snack box (potato chips, cookies, chocolate, etc), I must disagree with your statement - it's NOT always easy to find 'good' food.

KiwiBuilder
12-08-2004, 03:25 PM
You're not going to lose any muscle just because you don't eat every couple of hours. However, if the "non-clean" food fits into your caloric limitations, then go for it.

I said, if I was hungry - i.e. the hunger pains have started, indicating that cortisol release is imminent.

I hear you on the calorie front however. Eat the potato chips now, and cut out something else later in the day?

ryuage
12-08-2004, 03:43 PM
you could do that... you could always have some sort of emergency stash... of food in your desk or what not to prevent this from happening in the future.

anyone
12-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Why not just throw a peice of fruit or a natural peanut butter sandwich (on whole wheat bread) in your bag to tide you over if you know that you won't be able to get some good food in you for a while? Or maybe even some protein powder in a shaker bottle. Just add water.

KiwiBuilder
12-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Yep, a stash of 'good' food is a great idea.

But my question was : which is worse, eating something that isn't so good, i.e. potato chips, or allowing the hunger induced cortisol release to cannibalise muscle tissue?

agentplaya1
12-09-2004, 03:51 AM
just eat something, and consider that your cheat meal for the week.

Dirt
12-09-2004, 05:34 AM
I'm pretty sure your question has no right answer. Either way the impact from not eating for that brief time period or eating some sort of junk food won't be major. People tend to get too caught up in the idea of timing meals and "clean" vs. "junk" etc. If you feel like eating potato chips, cookies, chocolate, etc to stave off hunger, go ahead. If you don't, don't. From the sound of your post you seem to be suggesting this is a once in a while sort of thing and not a permanent addition to your diet so don't even worry about it.