PDA

View Full Version : My hands are frigging killing me...any suggestions?

maverick9614
12-08-2004, 03:48 PM
My hands are just begining to rip apart on heavier lifts. It's getting to the point where it's REALLY affecting my cleans and deadlifts. I can't domore than 3-4 reps on deadlifts above 300lbs without having to stop and reposition. That or I have to rap the bar with a wash cloth.

I went out and got a climber's chalk ball and I'm going to start using that tomorrow. Any other suggestions? My biggest problems is the callusses (sp?) on the palm side of where my fingers meet my palm are begining to roll and tear and it hurts like a mother. Thanks for any help.

anyone
12-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Other than using chalk, be sure to trim back your calluses a little every once in a while so that they don't roll back like that. I know that you can buy callus shavers and callus conditioning kits to prevent what you are discribing. I'm too lazy to do that. I just pick and peel off a few layers after showering about once a week, Or I cut them and pick at them with my nail clippers. It sounds gross, but it is effective.

maverick9614
12-08-2004, 04:00 PM
I cut on them regularly. I work in a wharehouse and the cardboard dries my hands out and leaves monster callusses. Any gloves or taping you might reccomend?

Beebs
12-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Do as much as you can with bare hands, then maybe switch to straps.

GMCtrk
12-08-2004, 04:42 PM
LEt me tell you man, when I get to 315+ on my deadlifts, the bar simply rips my calluses off and just bleeds. Straps solve this problem wonderfully. No rough surface to rip skin off.

Max-Mex
12-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Apparently, if moisturize your hands, you keep the callouses down to a minimum. Well, according to Mixmasternash (he's recommended this quite a few times). I recommend trimming them and then using a pumice stone. Has worked well for me.

maverick9614
12-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Sorry, I'm a bit of a newb, but what do you mean by "straps" ? On your hand, the bar, what?

Y2A
12-08-2004, 06:33 PM
I had this problem, no bleeding for me but just pain that wouldnt let me grip tightly/properly. I got versa grips and they have been awesome so far :)

XxDeanerxX
12-08-2004, 07:48 PM
you may look a lil gay, but how come nobody has said gloves? :thumbup:

GMCtrk
12-08-2004, 07:55 PM

Becuase with gloves on you can't grip the bar good enough to hold 300+lbs up.

AKraut
12-08-2004, 08:12 PM
I've been deadlifting with straps for like 2 years. The first day I used them I could pull 4 or 5 more reps of my max weight. My grip just simply didn't hold up. With bare hands I could maybe pull 315 for a few but I doubt it, with straps I've pulled 405 x 2 @ 165.

Isaac Wilkins
12-08-2004, 09:17 PM

Because this is the powerlifting forum and powerlifters aren't allowed to use gloves.

PizDoff
12-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Apparently, if moisturize your hands, you keep the callouses down to a minimum. Well, according to Mixmasternash (he's recommended this quite a few times). I recommend trimming them and then using a pumice stone. Has worked well for me.

I can vouch for the moisturize...

I do MA, weight training doing some massage work as well, gotta keep my hands soft. :)

MixmasterNash
12-09-2004, 08:57 AM
I can vouch for the moisturize...
:withstupi

And file the heck out of your callouses. I actually clip them with a nail cutter after a take a shower and the skin is soft. I've found that straps actually make bigger callouses than just gripping the bar.

Brad Cardoza
12-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Please don't use straps on deadlifts if you are having trouble holding onto 315-405. You will never be able to deadlift a lot of weight unless you let your grip get stronger too. It may take a little bit longer to move up in weight, but in the end it will be worth it. As for the hands, just use sand paper. I take sandpaper to my hands once a week and have never had any problems with farmers walk, heavy holds etc...

AstronautJones
12-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Please don't use straps on deadlifts if you are having trouble holding onto 315-405. You will never be able to deadlift a lot of weight unless you let your grip get stronger too. It may take a little bit longer to move up in weight, but in the end it will be worth it. As for the hands, just use sand paper. I take sandpaper to my hands once a week and have never had any problems with farmers walk, heavy holds etc...

Wait a sec, what's this gentleman from your website using then?

Isaac Wilkins
12-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Wait a sec, what's this gentleman from your website using then?

He didn't say never use straps. He meant that if you're deadlifting small weight like sub-405, then you can easily improve your grip without resorting to straps.

If you start using the straps that early, they'll become a crutch.

AstronautJones
12-09-2004, 06:03 PM
He didn't say never use straps. He meant that if you're deadlifting small weight like sub-405, then you can easily improve your grip without resorting to straps.

If you start using the straps that early, they'll become a crutch.

Ah okay that makes sense.

Brad Cardoza
12-09-2004, 06:15 PM
That is either 860 lb's which I got, or 900 lb's which I missed can't tell from the pic. I think you might understand why at a Strongman competition straps would be an exception. When I am at the gym I only use straps once I get over 500lb's unless my grip is spent from doing farmers the day before or something.

AstronautJones
12-10-2004, 01:15 AM
Nice. Cool site/pics, btw.

maverick9614
12-10-2004, 01:27 AM
"Please don't use straps on deadlifts if you are having trouble holding onto 315-405. You will never be able to deadlift a lot of weight unless you let your grip get stronger too. It may take a little bit longer to move up in weight, but in the end it will be worth it. As for the hands, just use sand paper. I take sandpaper to my hands once a week and have never had any problems with farmers walk, heavy holds etc..."

The problem isn't a physical lack of strength or that my hands are getting tired, it's that the bar just rips the hell out of my hands to the point they bleed. I think I'll try that sandpaper idea, my girlfriend will probably thank me anyway, she's always nagging me about how rough my hands are. If that doesn't work, I'll hunt down some straps.

Any Wa****onians have suggestions on where to find those in the Puget Sound area?

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas.

maverick9614
12-10-2004, 01:30 AM

By the by, when was under 405 considered small? Man, I got a lot of work to do!

Isaac Wilkins
12-10-2004, 06:45 AM
By the by, when was under 405 considered small? Man, I got a lot of work to do!

Edit: I'm not trying to be a prick, I'm just pointing it out in relation to the grip-strength issue.

In relation to grip strength it is. Assuming the lifter is an average-sized adult male (20 years old, 218 pounds) then probably you won't have too much trouble training your grip so as to hold a deadlift until you get well over 550-600 pounds.

At that point it'll start coming down to specific training, hand size, things like that.

405 is usually very attainable for someone who is training for the deadlift.

I did, however, misunderstand your original question. I'd agree with the sandpaper approach or getting one of those callous removers (sort of like a big emory board) from the cosmetics/bath section. Sand down the callouses after you get out of the shower.

Anthony
12-10-2004, 07:29 AM
lol @ "Wa****onians" ... gotta love the swear filter. Anyway, this topic has been discussed before, but I agree with sandpaper - works wonders.

Brad Cardoza
12-10-2004, 09:59 AM
The girlfriend was always an issue for me too. Anything silky at all panties, bra etc... Always ruined as soon as I got the palm of my hand on them. I started with a nail file and then realized they wear out too fast, thats where the sandpaper came in. My training partner John just wrote a great article on grip training, you should check it out.

http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=13&a=3

MixmasterNash
12-10-2004, 02:06 PM
I did, however, misunderstand your original question. I'd agree with the sandpaper approach or getting one of those callous removers (sort of like a big emory board) from the cosmetics/bath section. Sand down the callouses after you get out of the shower.

Sanding doesn't work well when the skin is very moist, like right after a shower. I do clip off bad callouses then, but sanding should be done with dry hands for best results. Then moisturize the hell out of them.

Boy, I made some big callouses last night. That was fun. Time to go rip them off with some climbing.

Isaac Wilkins
12-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Sanding doesn't work well when the skin is very moist, like right after a shower. I do clip off bad callouses then, but sanding should be done with dry hands for best results. Then moisturize the hell out of them.

Boy, I made some big callouses last night. That was fun. Time to go rip them off with some climbing.

Good call. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. My stepfather used to use the sanding thingy in the shower, but now that you mention it, probably that wasn't the best method.

I just tear mine off with more lifting. ;)

The_Brick
12-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Just get tougher mate.

AKraut
12-15-2004, 01:47 AM
I guess I somewhat understand the argument for increasing grip strength, but I'm still not convinced. When I'm deadlifting, my goal is to train my back, not my grip, so why would I let my grip be a limiting factor? Heavy deadlifts are the only thing I use straps for, and I estimate without them I would lose about 100lbs on my pull, or at least cut my # of reps in half on any given set. I don't know if straps are legal in competition or not, but seeing as how I don't compete but love to powerlift I still don't see any just cause for ditching my beloved straps.

GMCtrk
12-15-2004, 12:39 PM
I guess I somewhat understand the argument for increasing grip strength, but I'm still not convinced. When I'm deadlifting, my goal is to train my back, not my grip, so why would I let my grip be a limiting factor? Heavy deadlifts are the only thing I use straps for, and I estimate without them I would lose about 100lbs on my pull, or at least cut my # of reps in half on any given set. I don't know if straps are legal in competition or not, but seeing as how I don't compete but love to powerlift I still don't see any just cause for ditching my beloved straps.

:strong:

MixmasterNash
12-15-2004, 12:52 PM

Some would see it as: why let your back be a limiting factor in yor grip strength?

As long as you're minimizing your use of straps, you'll be okay.

Sensei
12-15-2004, 03:37 PM
When I'm deadlifting, my goal is to train my back, not my grip, so why would I let my grip be a limiting factor? Heavy deadlifts are the only thing I use straps for, and I estimate without them I would lose about 100lbs on my pull, or at least cut my # of reps in half on any given set. I don't know if straps are legal in competition or not, but seeing as how I don't compete but love to powerlift I still don't see any just cause for ditching my beloved straps.

If your goal is to train your DEADLIFT, then you need to bring up your grip so that it is not a limiting factor.

For most people, unless they have unusually small hands, grip should not be a limiting factor on singles.

If you are doing reps, or have back troubles when using a reverse grip (because of a twisting torso), straps can be helpful.

Straps are not legal in PL competition.

The_Brick
12-18-2004, 03:19 PM
I don't see a need for straps, its all about chalk and callouses.

biggimp
12-19-2004, 12:05 AM
i like my callouses... they show me whether or not im doing good. i just pick off overlapping skin with my fingernails every one in awhile, thats good enough for me.

Big Bas
12-31-2004, 12:37 PM
ive clipped my callouses, and picked at them, but the best method of removal in my opinion:
after a shower, i moisturize my hands, so they are very soft. then i take a straight razor (which i use to shave anyway), and I shave my hands. I go in different directions, and with each stroke it removes some dead skin....i just keep going until my hands are smooth in that area

Sybersnott
11-01-2005, 12:52 AM
If your goal is to train your DEADLIFT, then you need to bring up your grip so that it is not a limiting factor.

For most people, unless they have unusually small hands, grip should not be a limiting factor on singles.

Grip shouldn't be a limiting factor, PERIOD.

I think people love their straps too much, and then after a while they can't train without them. Then they want to cry about some "weak" bodypart that's holding them back in their training... :cry:

You train your back. You train your legs. Train your grip too. End of story.