PDA

View Full Version : Beef, Turkey, or Chicken for bulking?

Canadian Crippler
12-08-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm pretty sure I should be going with beef, but I wanted some opinions.

I am bulking and aswell on a somewhat tight budget, food wise. What do you guys recommend?

akomabutisakama
12-08-2004, 06:35 PM
all

Canadian Crippler
12-08-2004, 06:44 PM
and aswell on a somewhat tight budget

pruneman
12-08-2004, 07:12 PM
I'd say get whatever you can afford. Eggs are another calorie-dense yet inexpensive food. The main thing to focus on is getting enough calories. All of the sources you listed are good sources of protein. Go with the one you like the most and can afford. Happy bulking.

Vido
12-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Chicken and turkey are leaner. Beef supplies more $ value in terms of total calories. Depends what exactly you're after.

Zearoth
12-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Based on your goals, beef would be the better choice: denser calorie-wise, but most expensive. Chicken iis the exact opposite. It's a trade-off.

There are others food though, so pick whichever one suits you.

Jezmason
12-09-2004, 02:35 AM
I'd go for chicken. Just buy some frozen chicken breasts and some whole chickens, it's pretty cheap. Chicken and cottage cheese with some salad is real nice.

Dirt
12-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Based on your goals, beef would be the better choice: denser calorie-wise, but most expensive. Chicken iis the exact opposite. It's a trade-off.

There are others food though, so pick whichever one suits you.

I'm not sure where you buy your meats, but ground beef is cheaper per pound than chicken breasts are anywhere I shop.

As far as the original question, if your budget defines what to buy then with regard to price (cheapest to most expensive): beef > chicken > turkey. So ground beef it is.

ryuage
12-09-2004, 07:38 AM
your 15 and you have to buy your own groceries? that sucks.

PYRO
12-09-2004, 10:09 AM
i noticed that beef can get spoiled faster than chicken. Compare the exp date between these two..And it's more economical to buy chicken......You can always put it in the freezer but it doesn't taste as good as fresh meat......That's my dilema, now that winter is coming, we will hibernate and we want to buy everything in bulk...The trade off is that more likely the meat will get spoiled and money down the drain....So always check the exp date and plan ahead wisely

Zearoth
12-09-2004, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure where you buy your meats, but ground beef is cheaper per pound than chicken breasts are anywhere I shop.

As far as the original question, if your budget defines what to buy then with regard to price (cheapest to most expensive): beef > chicken > turkey. So ground beef it is.

Hmm... Where I go, a big box of frozen chicken breasts is a lot cheaper than a ground beef. The quality of the meat may not be as good, but chicken is chicken.

Vido
12-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Hmm... Where I go, a big box of frozen chicken breasts is a lot cheaper than a ground beef.

Well, you're the exception, not the rule ;).

Vido
12-09-2004, 11:28 PM
i noticed that beef can get spoiled faster than chicken. Compare the exp date between these two..And it's more economical to buy chicken......You can always put it in the freezer but it doesn't taste as good as fresh meat......That's my dilema, now that winter is coming, we will hibernate and we want to buy everything in bulk...The trade off is that more likely the meat will get spoiled and money down the drain....So always check the exp date and plan ahead wisely

Neither raw chicken or beef will keep well in the fridge; you're looking at 2 days tops before I'd be worried. You either cook it when you buy it, or freeze it, there really aren't any other alternatives. It tastes just as good after it's been frozen as before if you cook it right.

Vido
12-09-2004, 11:32 PM
your 15 and you have to buy your own groceries? that sucks.

Agreed

GMCtrk
12-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Here's the answer: use meats as a source of protein not calories. Make homemade weight gainer shakes for that (oatmeal, natural PB, protein, banana, milk).

Tyson frozen chicken breasts are awesome. A bag of 12 breasts is $12. Each breast has 40grams of protein, and they are nice and lean too.

Oh, and forgot to mention, these frozen chickens are sooo easy to cook. Put some olive oil on the breast, and then a seasoning of your choice (lemon pepper, etc) and cook it for 50 minutes at 375. You don't even have to thaw them :)

Vido
12-09-2004, 11:50 PM
Tyson chicken is not sold in Canada.

Hockey66
12-10-2004, 12:22 AM
Agreed

Yeah.. My mom just gets me to write what I need on her grocery list before she goes shopping.

Zearoth
12-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Well, you're the exception, not the rule ;).

I guess I live in "bizarro" world. :D

Canadian Crippler
12-10-2004, 06:20 PM
I don't buy my own groceries, heh. I do my groceries and my mom gives me the card; I just know that if I spend too much she might have to stinge on other things. We're not rich :p.

Anyways, the **********s closed the section with the steaks (you need a guy to serve you =/), so I had to settle with Chicken Breasts, Prime Rib Burgers, and Ground Beef (for chili) this week. Let's see how it goes.

POPS
12-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Breast chicken or turkey. has more protein and less fat per once. Breast chicken has 9 grams of protein and only 1 gram of fat per once. can't beat that