PDA

View Full Version : digestion and energy availability

ryuage
12-09-2004, 07:10 AM
How soon after your first meal would you say the food is digested and the nutrients you consumed would be available for energy... assuming this was a whole food meal not liquid.

greekboy80
12-09-2004, 07:21 AM
I would say anwhere between 15 to 45 minutes. 15 for white bread, and 45 min for anything like red meat. if you think logically it would take much longer to breakdown red meat than bread.

ryuage
12-09-2004, 07:24 AM
uhm I dont think food passes through you that quickly....

greekboy80
12-09-2004, 08:57 AM
well it depends how you ask the question.

if your asking when is the first part of nutrition begins...it starts in the stomach. but to extract everything out of the food it could take a full day.

Manveet
12-09-2004, 11:49 AM
I would say somewhere in the hour(s) range. Depending on the size of the meal, it could take several hours. For serious bodybuilders consuming large amounts of calories, there will be food in your stomach all day long.

Vapour Trails
12-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Carbs absorb fastest, especially if in the form of simple sugars. Energy would be available in 10-15 minutes.

Fats absorb quite slowly and a certainly not a source of quick energy ( several hours).

Protein are in the middle. Depends on the length of the peptide. I'd say one to several hours

ectx
12-09-2004, 12:32 PM
well it depends how you ask the question.

if your asking when is the first part of nutrition begins...it starts in the stomach. but to extract everything out of the food it could take a full day.

Digestion begins at your mouth. The minute you place something in there is the minute your body begins breaking it down. I believe (not sure) that your mouth starts secreting pepsin...although it might be another peptidase.

RBC13
12-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Isn't it the small intestine that does most of the work?

geoffgarcia
12-09-2004, 02:42 PM
How soon after your first meal would you say the food is digested and the nutrients you consumed would be available for energy... assuming this was a whole food meal not liquid.
depends on the composition of the meal.

Digestion obviously begins with chewing(masticating) and saliva
The purpose of digestion is to break down the foods into usable material (chyme)
Sometimes people confuse digestion with absorption which is another step.

Typical digestion time for a normal dinner meal would be 2-3 hours for the bulk of it to pass through the stomach/duodenum.
It'll stay in the small intestine for a few hours as nutrients are absorbed. So figure another 3-5 hours there for the majority of it.
Then it needs to process into the appropriate form of energy and distribute throughout your body...sky is the limit on that one.

I have tracked my intake for months at a time and closely monitored my weight. I can see a direct correlation between calories ingested and weight gain and its a 3 day gestation period.
Based on that I'd say it takes a full 3 days to reap the complete benefits from food although you'll obviously have increases within a few hours as the initial/easy portions are consumed.

bradley
12-10-2004, 05:09 AM
Digestion begins at your mouth. The minute you place something in there is the minute your body begins breaking it down. I believe (not sure) that your mouth starts secreting pepsin...although it might be another peptidase.

Here are some interesting tid-bits after a quick search:)

"The salivary enzymes LL and salivary amylase initiate fat and starch digestion. "
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=1714362

"When we eat, enzymatic activity begins in the mouth, where salivary amylase, lingual lipase, and ptyalin initiate starch and fat digestion."
http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-044.shtml

ryuage
12-10-2004, 08:23 AM
wow bradley back from the dead?

Holto
12-10-2004, 09:41 AM
cool huh :)

pruneman
12-10-2004, 09:57 AM

Looks like you found one he couldn't resist :D

Always nice to see you bradley

greekboy80
12-11-2004, 07:59 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

BRADLEYS BACK!

Welcome Back Brad!~

"Thats one Smart Mofo!", me.

Manveet
12-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Here are some interesting tid-bits after a quick search:)

"The salivary enzymes LL and salivary amylase initiate fat and starch digestion. "
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=1714362

"When we eat, enzymatic activity begins in the mouth, where salivary amylase, lingual lipase, and ptyalin initiate starch and fat digestion."
http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-044.shtml

WTF?

Nice to see you back ;)

Spartacus
06-03-2005, 09:13 PM

whoah.