PDA

View Full Version : Can too much sodium cause bloating?

trojan1444
12-09-2004, 07:03 PM
I was just thinking, with all the tuna, egg whites and cottage cheese that lifters eat, does sodium become a problem?

I try to go for the low-sodium tuna, and I'm gonna start going with the low-sodium cottage cheese for this reason.

Does sodium cause bloating because it promotes water retention? On the other hand, is some water retention good because it fills your muscles with water (increasing size) ?

geoffgarcia
12-09-2004, 08:27 PM
I think the avg male is 65% water...
excess sodium might boost you up to 66%...at any rate, I wouldn't worry about it
track your diet and see what your daily sodium intake is, it might be less than you think.

Vido
12-09-2004, 09:30 PM
I totally disagree with Geoff on this one. Sodium definitely causes bloating, no question about it.

And yes, assuming you're not trying to look your best (beach or competition or something), a little bloat can be a good thing.

Frozenmoses
12-10-2004, 01:22 AM
Agreed with Vido. There's a reason bodybuilders have low sodium intakes precontest. It holds water. And it is certainly enough to make a difference. But like Vido said, that can be a good thing as long as you aren't trying to look shredded to bits.

bradley
12-11-2004, 02:17 AM
And yes, assuming you're not trying to look your best (beach or competition or something), a little bloat can be a good thing.

Intracellular water retention would be desirable, since it would promote an anabolic environment in muscle cells, but excess sodium causes subcutaneous water retention.

Dirt
12-11-2004, 06:02 AM
I think FroMo and Vido were referring to it from an aesthetic point of view rather than a physiological one.