PDA

View Full Version : Why is milk bad for cutting?

trojan1444
12-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Why does everyone here say that milk is great for bulking but horrible for cutting?

If you factor it into your calorie intake, what's wrong with it? It's a good source of protein and the carbs that it has are relatively low-GI......

GMCtrk
12-09-2004, 11:26 PM
It does have 13g of sugar per cup I believe....

your body can only store about 1lb of sugar (454g) at any one time. Therefore, unused sugar ------> Liver -------> fat

Vido
12-09-2004, 11:45 PM
It does have 13g of sugar per cup I believe....

your body can only store about 1lb of sugar (454g) at any one time. Therefore, unused sugar ------> Liver -------> fat

You don't store sugar, you store glucose as glycogen. The "average" male can store approximately 100g of glycogen in the liver and 350g of glycogen in muscle...a bodybuilder can clearly store far more.

As for the original question, I think it comes down to the fact that when your calories are limited, you want them coming from the BEST possible sources. Milk isn't bad per se, but the sugar it contains clearly isn't as high a quality carb as oats or yams.

Adam
12-10-2004, 01:46 AM
milk is low on the GI but very high on the II(insulin index)

Frozenmoses
12-10-2004, 01:47 AM
Milk just kicks ass. I can't wait to bulk. I'm going to buy my own cow.

trojan1444
12-10-2004, 08:36 AM
What about non-fat, plain yogurt? Any difference?

ryuage
12-10-2004, 08:45 AM
you can use it for cutting dont worry about it..

waynis
12-10-2004, 10:20 AM
i've been told from a few body builders that milk makes your skin thick which would not be good for a show. Anyone have any input on this?

Vapour Trails
12-10-2004, 10:20 AM
I drank milk daily and had a sucessful cut. And it only has 11g of lactose per cup.

galileo
12-10-2004, 10:27 AM
A little high in sodium, but not that big of a deal unless you're competing. As VT said, 11g/cup - just be moderate.

crazedwombat
12-10-2004, 10:35 AM
hahah frozen wants his own cow for milk while bulking and steak while cutting...way to go, never let any of the goodness go to waste

Jasonl
12-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Milk can be good becuase the casein protein is slow-digesting, which, in turn is more anti-catabolic.

thalakos84
12-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Since I'm really poor, and really lazy, my main source of protein is milk. Truthfully, my meals consist mostly of Huge bowls of cheerios. I add no extra sugar. How will this meet my carb and protein needs?

Dirt
12-11-2004, 06:17 AM
Since I'm really poor, and really lazy, my main source of protein is milk. Truthfully, my meals consist mostly of Huge bowls of cheerios. I add no extra sugar. How will this meet my carb and protein needs?

It more than likely won't meet your caloric needs if youre trying to bulk, and that's an abysmal cut so I hope you're not doing that. I don't have a box of Cheerios, but I don't recall them having many calories. 2.5 L of 2% milk only has about 1300 calories in it. If you ate 5 meals a day with 500ml of milk per bowl of Cheerios (which is obviously a lot of milk) I doubt you'd be clearing 2500 cals.

getfit
12-11-2004, 06:20 AM
Milk just kicks ass. I can't wait to bulk. I'm going to buy my own cow.
LOL! FROMO! I think half of the money i make goes to buying milk LOL! a cow is not such a bad idea :D

Isaac Wilkins
12-11-2004, 06:35 AM
There are some people who have mild allergies to milk that cause them to store a bit of subcutaneous fat and have a hard time losing further fat. Wheat is another common one, and most everyone in the United States eats wheat.

I think this is partially where the "thickening skin" myth comes from. Usually the same people that dodge milk while cutting for that reason also dodge fruit and other things. They think that it's the substance that's keeping them from losing fat. In effect (other than perhaps the allergies) what they're doing is severely restricting their diet and making it easier to follow. If one can only eat protein, vegetables, and brown rice, it becomes a lot easier to drop bodyfat and follow a diet.

That and it makes one "hardcore". :rolleyes:

thalakos84
12-11-2004, 11:46 AM
It more than likely won't meet your caloric needs if youre trying to bulk, and that's an abysmal cut so I hope you're not doing that. I don't have a box of Cheerios, but I don't recall them having many calories. 2.5 L of 2% milk only has about 1300 calories in it. If you ate 5 meals a day with 500ml of milk per bowl of Cheerios (which is obviously a lot of milk) I doubt you'd be clearing 2500 cals.

Well that explains my lowered energy levels as of late. And why I've sort of plateaued. Thx

shootermcgavin7
12-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Short answer for me: Milk is bad for cutting because it has calories. For me, I tend to get slightly hungry when cutting, and I need to get all of my cals from food. Even though milk has protein, I prefer to get 90% of my cals from whole food so that I don't feel hungry all day.