PDA

View Full Version : Winter Break goal ~ 6lbs (lean)

jazer80
12-10-2004, 02:34 PM
okay classes are winding down and finals are next week. right before wrestling started i was finally getting into my groove so to speak, in regards to gaining lbs, but put that on hold. anyways my team is only during classes since it's just club wrestling (for now....), so i figured this was a great time to see if i could go from my current weight of 158/9 to 165, and still have the six pack very, very visible, so minimal fat gains. i would like to be 165 on my 1st day of next semester, january 26, which gives me a little over 6 weeks to gain a little over 6 lbs. I'm very interested to see if i can accomplish this.

training:

Weights: i've been thinking about doing upper half workouts then lower half workouts, and going to the gym every other day, so that would be 3 days rest between a given workout. sound reasonable? anyways i'll break it down as follows:
Upper body: standing bb military press
incline db bench (decline?)
flyes (?)
pullovers (?)
standing bent over bb rows
weighted palm facing out pullups
weighted dips

Lower body: squats (narrow, normal, and sumo stance, all zercher)
calf raises
deadlifts (narrow, normal, and sumo stance)
reverse hyper extensions w/ 45 lb plate (i think they're rev
hypers, they work lower back/glutes)

then about once a week, maybe twice, either boxing or sprinting, usually a 10 to 20 minute workout, real high intensity. also may be able to wrestle w/ a local high school a little.

Diet: on the 'seafood' diet, but getting a good balance between carbs, proteins, and fats. dunno exact ratios but always make sure i'm getting a good mix of all three w/ each meal. are ratios that important, or just that i'm getting enough of all of them? typical food:
milk, maybe five gallons weekly (skim)
pasta
rice
steak, 4-6 nights weekly
chicken, couple times weekly
vegetables (mixed from frozen bags, good variety)
shakes (1 shake daily, usually contains pb, milk (1%), flax, olive oil,
weight gainer, protein powders (soy/whey), oats, sugar, bananas, and
basically whatever i can find around the kitchen. anywhere from 500 to
1000 calories. oh and coffee is usually thrown in there, and yogurt too)
yogurt
(any major foods i should include or is this pretty balanced?)

supplements: creatine
weight gainer
whey/soy proteins
timed release multivitamin, 1 in am and one in noon
about 6K mg fishoils daily, about 1Kmg w/ each meal
choline 250/inositol500 (supposed to aid memory probs
due to our favorite green plant.. )
T3 (nighttime anabolic/anticatabolic, basically a ZMA formula
with arginine, eurycoma longfolia jack, tribulus, avena sativa
and a ton of other stuff i've never heard of)
and 1-5 mg melatonin for quick, sound sleep
also i get decent sleep. i always get about 8 hours nightly which i believe is proper, but those 8 hours are at different times on different days. big prob or no? i work mornings sometimes and nights sometimes so it's near impossible to sleep during the same hours every night.

any suggestions, comments, or tips that may help me make my goal are greatly appreciated

jazer80
12-10-2004, 02:46 PM
oh ya i started this today

bottom half
1 set of each : close, normal, and wide stance squats (all zercher)
1 set of each : close normal and wide dl's (began w/ 335 lbs and stripped off 50 per set)
1 set calf raises
1 set reverse hypers w/ 45lb plate

jazer80
12-10-2004, 02:56 PM
also i should note a couple things, because i think 6 lbs in 6 weeks really isn't anything too hard for a lot of people. 1)i only weigh about 160, 2)I'm a very hard gainer, and 3)it needs to be totally lean, i cannot lose any of my six pack

ryuage
12-11-2004, 04:12 AM
cant lose any of your sixpack eh? :)

jazer80
12-11-2004, 01:39 PM
can't... besides aesthetics, if i lose it i'm gonna have to deal w/ cutting before wrestling starts again, and it won't be worth it. i have a ton of trouble putting on weight, and have never in my life lost sight of my six pack, so it won't be much of a problem.
so does this seem managable for a relatively hard gainer (i've lifted constantly since before high school w/o ever taking too long of a break. i wrestled 140 when i was a junior in high school, and am a senior in college not even weighing 160, so i don't put on weight very easily)

ryuage
12-11-2004, 01:43 PM
either that or you dont eat much, but yes it is possible

jazer80
12-11-2004, 01:55 PM
ha i never ate enough. i'm glad i found you guys because i never would have found that was the problem.... i was finally understanding what a truly ridiculous amount i had to eat to gain weight, but then wrestling started. anyways since starting my 6 wk bulk yesterday i've been eating like a mad man. how does the foods / training look?

today:
10 minutes high intensity boxing

ryuage
12-11-2004, 02:15 PM
I found the proble, you're not eating any food! :p

jazer80
12-13-2004, 11:01 AM
upper half
(had to workout at home due to time constraints, so had to make due w/ what i got)
1X each:
decline db flies
bent over db rows
curls --> shoulder press in one movement, dunno if it has a name
db pullovers
chin ups w/ palms facing away
forward shoulder raise holding a 25 plate w/ both hands
steep incline, 1 setting from vertical, db press

jazer80
12-13-2004, 11:01 AM
been getting good (at least 7.5/8.0 hrs) sleep, and eating tons of good stuff

jazer80
12-14-2004, 04:42 PM
legs
squats (225 lbs)
dl (225lbs)
squats (275lbs)
dl (275lbs)
two sets on calf raise machine
one set reverse hypers w/ 45 lbs plate

after reading an article about arnold today, i decided to try switching up a little bit of my routine. i began doing complementary muscles back to back, and also starting lighter and going heavier instead of vice versa. i doubt either of these will make much, if any, difference, but what the hell right

sleep and diet have been going strong.

jazer80
12-14-2004, 04:42 PM
i'm gonna have to weigh myself for goal first thing in the morning because i'm already tipping the scales at 164 because of all the damn food and drink i'm constantly gorging on

elbolao23@msn.c
12-14-2004, 06:31 PM
nice job

jazer80
12-15-2004, 10:01 AM
thanks elbolao;

ran into a problem this morning. i was thinking, and this was before my 1st meal, that i should go weigh myself w/ a totally empty stomach. anyways i weighed 158..... so that really makes my goal 7lbs in almost exactly 6 weeks, sucks because now that's like 1.15 lbs lean / week, but i'm still gonna go for it.

anyways i have a text doc on my desktop i'm compiling my food for the day. i'm gonna post it tomorrow morning or late tonight, so hopefully some people can tell me what they think if i'm getting enough and it's balanced okay.

also..... measurements. just had my gf take my measurements so i can compare at the end, if/when i get to 165, if there is even a difference anywhere.

right bicep: 15'' (flexed)
chest/back: 41'' (unflexed)
right thigh: 21'' (unflexed)
stomach/waist(right beneath navel): a couple ticks beneath 30'' (flexed stomach)

jazer80
12-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Shake (900K) (weight gainer, flax seeds, olive oil, whey protein, oats, milk, coffee, 1/3 banana)
{Timed release multivitamin}
{(1) 1000mg fish oil pill}
{250mg choline/ 250mg inositol}

Shake (670K) (weight gainer, olive oil, Ĺ cup oats, milk, coffee)

Myoplex deluxe bar (360K)

(2) servings of chili and rice, w/o cheese, about 400K each

Chicken breast (?? Maybe 150K, no nutr. Info, no idea)

30/45 minutes before bed: T3 pills (ZMA, tribulus, tri arginine malate, eurycoma long folia jack extract, avena sativa, rhodiola, saw palmetto, and a bunch of others Iíve never heard of), and a couple mg of melatonin.

Shake (400K) (milk, muscle milk, olive oil) right before going to bed

Total of 3280K today, just a bit above 20K/lb

Look solid?

John0101
12-16-2004, 12:07 AM
you dropped from 164 to 158 in one day with all that eating?

you take in a lot of shakes. i'll go straight to the solid protein and carbs, burgers, pizza, fries, anything that doesn't move, eat it.

geoffgarcia
12-16-2004, 12:38 AM
6 weeks to gain a little over 6 lbs6 pounds in 24 months is good...6 pounds in 6 weeks is ridiculous

jazer80
12-16-2004, 06:45 AM
really i thought an lb a week was a good goal. what do you think's reasonable in 6 weeks?

Focused70
12-16-2004, 07:02 AM
if I could gain 1 lb. a week, I'd be a house by now.

I'd say more like 2 to 3 lbs., perhaps less.

Stash

jazer80
12-16-2004, 12:40 PM
wait 6 lbs in two years is considered good????? no way that's way too little for someone who is doing everything right. soba i guess i'll go for 3 then, so 162 will be my goal. thanks for the input guys.

also what is a rough approximation of the bf range where you can still clearly see your entire six pack?

geoffgarcia
12-16-2004, 12:46 PM
if you could gain a pound a week that would be 52 pounds of muscle per year...
not even guys that cycle the BEST stuff money can buy 12 months out of the year can do that...hell they are doing good to get 20 pounds in a year...(of LBM)

I'm natural and if I can put on 6-12 pounds of LBM in a year I'm stoked...
granted age plays a large factor, if your <17 you'll naturally put on more lbm faster

as for the bf it depends on how developed your muscles are....if you have been training them hard and you can grab each one with your fingers then there is no reason you can't see them at 12-14% bf...obviously the lower you go the more defined they will become.
If it takes you going down to 6-7%bf to see your abs then you know your seriously neglecting them in the gym...

jazer80
12-16-2004, 12:53 PM
damn i'm gonna have to get a bf caliper thing. are any of the 20$ ones good or do you need a really nice one?

i know 52 lbs in a year of lean is ridiculous, and i didn't mean that 1lb a weak is sustainable by any means. it's just i'm not very big on my frame, so i think it's easier for me to gain than someone who's much bigger. also i'm sure my age (21) helps me as well, especially since i'm still in my tail end of puberty (i still shave twice weekly). i mean when people who never ever lift start lifting they can go past 1 lb a week can't they?

Focused70
12-16-2004, 01:06 PM
I never lifted prior to December 2003.

In January, I had an accident that left me out of the gym for ten weeks.

From early April to about now (with a short gym vacation of three weeks earlier this autumn), I gained about 27 lbs. of which about 40%, most likely less, is muscle. I'm 33 btw, and not exactly big-boned either.

That might give you some sort of benchmark re your comments.

Stash

Guido
12-16-2004, 01:13 PM
I've gained 4 in the past month only because just recently had I started eating enough and taking protein supplements. 6lbs in 6 weeks should be no problem. Also, I recommend setting up a free account on Fitday.com. It's easy and a good way to track your eating from day to day.

jazer80
12-16-2004, 01:40 PM
see i always trained, but never ever understood how to eat properly until a little before wrestling season started this year. i think i'll be able to get to 165, not necessarily in 6 weeks, but i think i'll be able to get there easy enough; 170, that's gonna be pretty tough, and, not that i would want to go to 170 or beyond anyways, but getting to 175 would be crazy hard

jazer80
12-20-2004, 11:08 AM
saturday - upper half
incline db press w/ 70lb db's
db flyes w/ 30lb dbs, slight incline
db pullovers
bent over bb rows, 3 sets
shrugs
reverse flyes(dunno name, it's to work back of shoulders)
forward shoulder raises w/ a 45lbs plate
dips, weighted w/ a 45lb plate

today:
bottom half

zerchers squats
dl's
squats
sumo dl's
squats
dl's
front squats
(increased weight w/ each set, going from about 8/10 reps in beginning to 4 at last set of squats/dl's)
2 sets of calf raises w/ bb in squatting position
3 sets on this core strength machine where you sit and turn your torso
2 sets, one lower weight, one real heavy, on weighted sit up machine

sleep has been good, except last night only got about 7, but i'll make it up tonight. diet has been good, i've cut back a little, and also have knocked out a lot of the fats; in my overzealous efforts to gain i've actually noticed a little fat on my stomach (note: this is the 1st time in my life i've noticed my self gain fat. i've had a very deep six pack since i can remember)

jazer80
12-20-2004, 11:10 AM
also scaled back the goal to 4 lbs in 6 weeks, i'll try to get a recent weight, i can never remember to do it in the morning, and i always go take a piss, then straight to the fridge. i'll try to put the scale in my path so i can get a good reading in the am

jazer80
12-23-2004, 04:43 PM
upper half

reverse flyes for rear of shoulders
db pullovers
wide grip chin ups (palms away)
db flies
bent over db rows (standing)
db pullovers
wide grip chin ups
db flies
reverse flies
incline db press
shrugs
decline db press
forward shoulder raise
decline db flies
lateral shoulder raises

jazer80
12-30-2004, 03:32 PM
did lower half the day before christmas, and embarrassed the hell out of myself trying a new dl max. tried 20lbs more than my previous max and couldn't even budge the bar. then tried my old max and couldn't do it. dunno what my prob was.

jazer80
12-30-2004, 03:34 PM
upper half

palms away pullups/chinups
db flyes
db rowes
db pullovers
reverse flyes for rear of shoulders
db flyes
db rowes
db incline press
db shrugs
db decline press
military db press
forward shoulder raises

ryuage
12-31-2004, 07:38 AM
did lower half the day before christmas, and embarrassed the hell out of myself trying a new dl max. tried 20lbs more than my previous max and couldn't even budge the bar. then tried my old max and couldn't do it. dunno what my prob was.

you probably werent in the right mindset after blowing the new max, it happens to me sometimes.

jazer80
12-31-2004, 10:40 AM
ya i figure it was that or maybe because i put too much effort into the attempt at 400 that i wasn't 100% going into 380lbs

ryuage
01-01-2005, 07:19 AM
that sure is a big jump in a 1rm attempt though hehe

jazer80
01-01-2005, 10:58 AM
i thought i was feeling on that day haha

jazer80
01-01-2005, 10:59 AM
plus when i hit 380 i had never really tried for a dl max before, so i figured it wasn't my absolute max anyways, as i'd never done anything over low 300's and didnt' try to go any higher that day

jazer80
01-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Friday - legs

zerchers
dl
squat
dl
zercher
dl
calf machine
calf
calf

jazer80
01-03-2005, 04:36 PM
upper half

db pullovers
palms away pullups
db flies
db rows
db pullovers
palms away pullups
db press inclined
reverse flyes for rear shoulders
db press declined
forward db raises

ryuage
01-05-2005, 05:06 AM
gaining any weight?

jazer80
01-05-2005, 11:28 AM
highest i've weighed in on empty stomach in the am is 159.5. haven't checked for about a week though, have a serious problem remembering to do it in the morning, and always go straight to the kitchen for a shake

yesterday: legs

zerchers
dl's
squats
dl's
squats
light weight zerchers
calfs
calfs

geoffgarcia
01-05-2005, 11:30 AM
highest i've weighed in on empty stomach in the am is 159.5. haven't checked for about a week though, have a serious problem remembering to do it in the morning, and always go straight to the kitchen for a shakeso put the scale in the kitchen...
thats where I have mine;)

jazer80
01-06-2005, 03:45 PM
haha i already put it beside my bed, i'll have a reading tomorrow

jazer80
01-06-2005, 03:47 PM
---upperhalf---
db pullovers
palms away pullups
db flies
db rows
db pullovers
db rows
db press inclined
reverse flyes for rear shoulders
db press inclined
forward db raises
db press incline

jazer80
01-07-2005, 07:24 AM
new weight is up. i thought i was 162.5, but realized i was wearing clothes and had to take a piss. 160.5 was dry / naked weight. i'm getting there, slowly but surely.

jazer80
01-07-2005, 04:34 PM
bottom half

zerchers
four sets of squats, going from about 185 to 225 by my last set
calf raises w/ 225lbs
reverse hypers w/ 45 lb plate
calf raises w/ 225 lbs
reverse hypers w/ 45 lb plate

jazer80
01-07-2005, 04:35 PM
didn't do any deadlifting because i worked upper half yesterday and my upper back, shoulders, and arms are kind of sore, don't wanna mess with them by holding a heavy bar for a few sets of dl's

jazer80
01-10-2005, 09:12 AM
new weight up. should i believe i am totally empty of food when waking? i mean i don't have a feast before bed, but i have a shake of milk, soy protein, and flax seed oil. nothing too big, so i don't think i have anything in my stomach, but i've jumped up an lb in the past 4 days. and i test my scale and it seems very very accurate, so i don't think that's it. also i make sure to completely, uh, empty myself first as well.

it doesn't seem like i'm putting on any more fat weight, maybe it's because i started taking some glutamine i got for xmas and i thought it makes you hold a little water weight like creatine? i thought it did that, dunno if it does to any level i'd see on my scale like creatine tho. also i've started drinking much more water than i used to. those are the only changes i've made lately. i know there's no way i've just slapped on a lb of leanness in a few days

jazer80
01-11-2005, 04:19 PM
upper half

db incline press
db rowes
db incline press
db rowes
db incline press
db rowes
db incline press
db rowes
(presses and pulls were done w/ 70lbs db's, w/ very short rests between sets)

forward db raises

incline db flies

TheMachine
01-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Excellent workout, that must have had your whole upper body on fire!

jazer80
01-11-2005, 05:02 PM
ya man i'm in love w/ training opposing muscles!! it just feels really balanced, going back and forth between opposing muscles; if you look back through my workouts you'll see i lik doing that for legs too, i'll go between squats and deadlifts. the cool thing about back and forth db press/db rows is that you don't really have to rest much so you almost get an aerobic workout. i was pouring sweat and panting by the end, which i love because practically nobody at my gym (the university weight room...) lifts intense, by any stretch of the word. there's some serious kids but most are just there curling the 25 dbs adn getting in my way

jazer80
01-13-2005, 05:33 PM
bottom half

squats
dl's
squats
dl's
squats
dl's (first 3 squats / dl's began w/ 225 lbs and went up to 265 by last set, giving me my first squat 'max'. didn't try anything higher, so i know i'll be able to get more next time)
squats
dl's (these two were w/ 225 again)

calfs
stomach machine
outer calfs
stomach machine
inner calfs
reverse hypers w/ 45 plate
stomach work on roman chair

jazer80
01-21-2005, 05:32 PM
well haven't lifted for a week, i didn't want to workout the day or two before my snowboarding trip, and after i got back (tuesday) i was hurting too much to lift.

lower body

(**didn't do a full lower workout. i wanted to hit a new squat max, so i just warmed my way up, adding 50lbs at a time and doing 1-3 reps w/ each weight**)

squat, 305 X 1 (new max)
two sets of reverse hypers w/ 45 lbs plate

jazer80
01-22-2005, 04:26 PM
upper body

db flies
palms away pullups
db pullovers
db rows
db incline press
upright db rows
db incline press
bent over db rows
palms away chinups

jazer80
01-22-2005, 04:27 PM
oh and some forward db raises, and a set of reverse flyes

jazer80
01-27-2005, 11:46 AM
lower half

saw a PT today, learned a lift, think it's called power clean, basically a dl but really explosive, then catch on your chest. also put up a new squat max, kind of hurt my upper back getting it in the rack.

power cleans, maybe 5 sets
squats: 135 X 12
185 X 8
225 X 6
315 X 1

two sets calf machine
one set calf raises
2 sets reverse hypers, one w/ a 45, next w/ a 35 lb plate

also i forgot to post, but i hit my target weight, 163. i've already begun cutting. unfortunately that weight meant dick. because i didn't have fat calipers i had no idea of whether or not it was all muscle. also i do know some was just water weight and fully saturated muscles, as i went snowboarding a week ago, and didn't eat properly that night. i woke in the middle of the night (we were @ a lodge, and my friend was snoring), and drove 2 hours home @ four am. anyways i get back and am starving, and dehydrated. i weigh in at 158, which is the lowest i've seen the scale in a while, meaning my beginning weight was lower than what i thought