PDA

View Full Version : protein intake

krosspyder
12-11-2004, 03:26 PM
i read in here that for one to get the maximum amount of protien in your body a day if you want to build muscle is to get 1gram of protien per pound of body weight. is this correct? so anotherwords if i weigh 235 pounds im suppose to get 235 grams of protein a day? that sims a little excessive. i must be reading this wrong or something.

trojan1444
12-11-2004, 03:34 PM
A lot of people go more than 1gm per pound, but that's because they weigh less than 235 pounds.

krosspyder
12-11-2004, 03:49 PM
so actually im suppose to get over 235 pounds of protein a day? my goal is not to really gain extreme muscle mass but to loose fat.... i want to get lean first then ill work on the muscle mass. ive got a gut too loose. so how many grams of protein should i have a day? i dont want to loose muscle mass infact if i can gain some... great... but i know if i want to loose fat im not going to be gaining a lot of muscle mass. is this correct? im lifting weights and im lifting because it helps me loose fat but if i can increase some muscle mass at the same time then i will be satisfied even if im not gaining a lot of muscle right now. seriously guys i need specific help here. i know a lot of the articles on here touch on things like this but i cant find anything that specifically helps me answer my questions. if i can just have someone on here directly respond to my concerns i would appreciate it. im not trying to be annoying im just trying to do this right. i dont want to go on doing things wrong. thanks.

Patz
12-11-2004, 04:06 PM
You are trying to do exactly what I'm doing. I'm 6'1 240. I started at 245 3 weeks ago, and try to eat 5-6 times a day, with small meals of mostly protein, and low carbs and fat. I'm no nutrition expert, but it seems to do well for me, because I also do weights and cardio, and want to lose fat, and any muscle I add in the meantime is a plus until I'm ready to start taking in lots of protein. I'm usually in the 130g range for protein, but I don't know if I'm doing this correctly or not, or if that's enough protein to do what I want. I CAN say that I'm seeing definite improvement in strength, physique, and some weight loss, although not as much (weight loss) as I expected when my intake is in the 1500 calorie range. I probably am safe in saying that some of that is because I'm gaining muscle too. I've been lifting for about 3 months, and only dieting for about 3 weeks. None of this is meant to tell you to copy my little program, but it seems to work ok for me. I can see a difference in my shape to offset any unhappiness with weight changes. The advice from the members will be good, and you'll know who is telling you right.

krosspyder
12-12-2004, 04:46 AM
thanks man. when i started worrying about loosing weight i started dieting only. i lost around 10 pounds of wieght in 2 weeks. and i think some of that was water wieght. i then started lifting and i was gaining a little back. i wasnt doing anything different except for lifting and jogging. anways.... its too soon to tell if there is any difference in my apperance... i know i feel a lot better though.

so how bout you? you said you are gaining wieght... and this must be because of gaining muscle mass. are you noticing a loss of fat in your stomach?... is you stomach getting leaner? how much?

are you taking any creatine?

thanks for your response.