PDA

View Full Version : new guy, need direction please...

BranndonC
12-11-2004, 09:41 PM
ok, you can see my story here
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=56915

these are me at 18 in 1998
http://www.ck5junk.com/pics/branndonc18.jpg
this is me now, i've lost 20 lbs, and now i want to work on gaining muscle, but mostally getting more cut, if you can help at all, please PM me or post to my noob post. Thanks a bunch
http://www.ck5junk.com/pics/branndonc.jpg

RMW USMC
12-11-2004, 11:02 PM
What happened after '98? You looked super lean there and had a great build considering your age and all. You said in the post you linked to that it was all just from bench pressing? Wow.

I see some difference in your pictures from September to November but not a whole lot, maybe it's just me. The important thing is the weight is off.

I'm going to leave the advice and direction to the pros. Good luck with trimming down. You can do it but you will have to be super dedicated to be in "top shape" for April as you stated in your other thread.

TTT
12-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Personally, I'd try some high intensity interval training - I've done this with sprinting and it really does burn a sh**load of energy. Also, it seems to actually preserve/enhance muscle rather than wasting it away - like long-distance running does, for me anyway. Search the forum for HIIT if you're interested.

BranndonC
12-11-2004, 11:55 PM
basically i stopped all sports activity when i graduated, and moved to a semi desk job, then moved away and worked from home for 2 years, it was during that time of poor eating habits, and no working out that i gained 50 lbs (well the past 6 years really) but in those pics i was 185, and now i'm 200, so i think a good arobic workout may yield the most benifit. btw, the pics dont look that great, but it was mainly gut i lost, i used to wear 38 pants, now i'm 36, some even with a belt

GMCtrk
12-12-2004, 12:18 AM
at least you know you have good genetics. And I argree study up on HIIT>

TTT
12-12-2004, 12:58 AM
Well you're improving already. Good work.
If you're interested in putting on more muscle though, then aerobics should probably be a minor part of your routine.

RMW USMC
12-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Well you're improving already. Good work.
If you're interested in putting on more muscle though, then aerobics should probably be a minor part of your routine.
I disagree he needs the cardio to burn off the fat so the muscle he is building can show

BranndonC
12-12-2004, 10:44 AM
I disagree he needs the cardio to burn off the fat so the muscle he is building can show
that was my thinking, so which forum here do i post all my noob questions about routines?

*edit* i do want to gain muscle, but i first want to slim down by the wedding so i look like i'm in good shape, then from there, i'll begin gaining mass

RMW USMC
12-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Well you sound more like you want to lose fat to overall lose weight, as opposed to lots of weight lifting which would build your strength (but not really lose fat).

With that in mind I would hit the gym every so often for the weights but really you should primarily focus on cardio/aerobic workouts. So, hit the gym 4-5 days a week doing running/walking, bicycling, and swimming. Just between those three excercises you can lose a lot of weight and fat if you stick to it. But just as important as the excercises you need to focus on diet. Cut out all fatty foods. No fried foods either. Do not drink anything but water and gatorade/powerade. Stay away from all caffeine.

It really comes down to "how bad do you want it"...if you put your mind to it you can lose a lot of weight. Now there are more drastic diets out there to make you lose fat (search on these forums for "PSMF") but if you want to take it a little more natural and not try to kill yourself from starvation in the process, stick to a healthy diet and regular excercise.

Shark
12-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Well you sound more like you want to lose fat to overall lose weight, as opposed to lots of weight lifting which would build your strength (but not really lose fat).

With that in mind I would hit the gym every so often for the weights but really you should primarily focus on cardio/aerobic workouts. So, hit the gym 4-5 days a week doing running/walking, bicycling, and swimming. Just between those three excercises you can lose a lot of weight and fat if you stick to it. But just as important as the excercises you need to focus on diet. Cut out all fatty foods. No fried foods either. Do not drink anything but water and gatorade/powerade. Stay away from all caffeine.

Huh???? What are you talking about?

He needs to lift weight to increase his LBM so his body naturally burns more calories. Since he has not lifted in a while he should be able to take advantage of this and build some LBM while shedding body fat. Doing cardio 4/5 times a week is not necessary for him. Cut out all fatty foods? Drink gatorade/powerade? What are you talking about???

What you need to do is:
1 - Start hitting the weights: Look into wanna be big routine #1
2 - Get your diet in order: Count calories, 6 smaller meals a day, complex carbs, efs'a, lean proteins.
3 - Do some HIIT cardio or just some moderate intensity cardio 2 or 3 times a week.

Do some searches on body recomposition and learn about dieting and nutrition. Do your own research and learn what works for you.

TTT
12-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Yep that's what I'd do. In fact, if you have 'off' days where you don't want to lift heavy weights or were going to do cardio, another option is to just lift lighter weights for more reps. Still burns a hell of a lot of energy.

As for diet, I'd recommend eating really often (ie. about 10 times a day or more), but eating really small amounts each time. This should keep your metabolism up without adding too much fat.
Just my opinions

crazedwombat
12-13-2004, 06:30 AM
go with Chris...if you go with RMW you'll just get skinny and in shape but still be a weak little kitten.

my advice is lift 3 times a week and cardio 2-3 times a week(days that arent lifting days) and eat clean. 10 times a day seems excessive but 5-7 wouldnt be bad. watch out on the gatorade/powerade, a crap load of sugars...maybe good preworkout and post workout but stick to 5-9 liters of water a day...and cold water preferably since it takes more calories to digest cold water than warm water (body has to work harder to warm up the water before digestion)

TTT
12-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Try this: I just did this last night and I got skinny overnight :) (And I'm not kidding here)! :

Superset situps on a decline chair (with the leg pegs) with standing dumbell calf raises, lateral raises and seated calf raises. Go as fast as you can between excercises, don't take breaks. Try this once or twice a week as part of your exercises (or something similar) and see how it goes.
I swear I'm struggling to eat enough to compensate for that workout.