PDA

View Full Version : New Guy looking for critique

AdmiralDan
12-12-2004, 08:22 AM
I tried posting this in another forum, but i haven't seen much in the way of replies. I am a sophmore in college and have been lifting on and off since my junior year of high school. i got serious about 6 or 7 months ago.

i'm 5'10" and 180lbs

i lift 3-4 days a week. my normal 4 day split is back(tue); chest/shoulders(wed); legs(fri); arms(sat) and i rest the other three days of the week. i prefer 4 but being an engineering major really takes away a lot of time. my diet is ok but living in the dorms doesn't help. i usually eat a bowl of oatmeal mixed with a scoop of protien powder for breakfast. lunch is usually some tuna, some cottage cheese, and some green vegatbles. dinner is the same. if the cafeteria is serving something clean(chicken, turkey, etc.) i will usually substitute that for the tuna. throughout the day i usually eat a couple pieces of fruit and a couple protein shakes.

well here are my pictures. take a look and let me know what you think. good, bad, or neutral.

Ironrelic
12-12-2004, 08:41 AM
Looks like you're doing alright what with the tough major and the limits of college food and budget. Pressed for time too, your best bet is to stick with the compound basics; squat, benches & deadlifts. You can get a helluva lot of sets done in one hour if you want to, but don't get into the isolation exercises too much for the time being.

Try adding pushups...feet on bunk, hands on floor now & then between bouts of studying; that'll help build up your chest def. more. Throw in ab crunches too. Any place to add a pullup bar? Not everything has to be done in the gym.

You probably could eat more, but I spose you're doing the best you can. Go easy on the Corona's tho I see.
:thumbup:

DarrenEff
12-12-2004, 09:25 AM
I'm also 5'10 and about 175, I look nothing remotely close to that, inspiring, keep up the good work

AdmiralDan
12-12-2004, 10:23 AM
those coronas you saw were a semester worth of drinking. 3 beers in the past 2 months

AdmiralDan
12-12-2004, 08:05 PM
i can see that a lot of people have viewed this, but noone has said anything. please post something so i can get some feedback. good or bad

rafe
12-12-2004, 09:01 PM
I'm no expert and would look small next to you, but your arms and back look like strong points, while your chest looks like it may be lagging, imo. Ironrelic gave good advice, focus on the compound excersizes and throw in push-ups.

Not sure if you're bulking or not, if not, i'd throw in some form of cardio if you're not already doing some, its a good workout and stress reliever in college, at least it was for me. I was a swimmer in high school and part of college and swimming was a great way to work out and relieve stress without taking much time, not to mention burning all those calories from college food and drinking...3 coronas for a whole semester, lol, for a time for me that was the start of a friday night!

Anyway, you have decent size at 5'10", keep at it.

bill
12-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Looks like your doing fine, the legs looked weak in the back shot, but it could be the pic.
I would change beers, and add some cardio

debussy
12-12-2004, 10:11 PM
3 beers aint bad at all.. i caught a gimplse of your hamstrings and i think those need some work.. the back looks pretty nice... id say go nuts on squat and deadlift... one more thing... you should do some weighted ab exercises... at your low bf% we should be seeing some abs. im a fat ass and i can still see some abs

asvied
12-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Your arms look great. Shoulders are nice and big. Back is thick. It looks like your chest could use a lil more size. So far so good man. Very proportioned. Awesome.

Gabrielle
12-12-2004, 11:09 PM
what are your goals? to be ripped, to get huge? I noticed from the back dub...that you have good thickness in your back...good triceps...I wish you would have posted pics of the wheels and calves...by the way...I can relate..I have to juggle school and work also...hope your finals went or go well

AdmiralDan
12-13-2004, 09:13 AM
thanks to all who have responded so far. i'm getting more comments than i thought i would. i know my legs are lacking since i didn't work them for a while. i realized how stupid this was and am now training them like crazy. my main goal is to get ripped but not huge. i have to keep my weight under 190 so i want to get a little bigger but i plan on taking it slow to keep my bodyweight under 190. my goal is to weight 185 and have a low bodyfat number(so that i look ripped and i can see my abs) by the end of next semester. thanks again to all of you who have responded and i would appreciate any feedback anyone can give me

Rock
12-13-2004, 09:46 AM
now thats what I call symmetry!

AdmiralDan
12-13-2004, 09:50 AM
now thats what I call symmetry!

really? mabye i am too picky, but i thought i had some problems there. especially in the arms and then a little in the lats and chest. thans a lot thought. that is a huge compliments