PDA

View Full Version : Oh. My. God.

TTT
12-13-2004, 01:53 AM
I went to Fitday.com and I couldn't find the cereal I get over here because I'm in New Zealand and they seem to have mainly American cereals I think. Anyway, I came across such gems as, "Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs cereal" and "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cereal," as well as "Pop Tarts Crunch Cereal" and "Frosted oat cereal with marshmallows." Are parents really feeding their kids this stuff over there? That is absolutely sickening. I can't even imagine what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cereal has in it, and if the Pop Tart or Frosted Oat cereal are anything like their name suggests, the sugar content must be through the roof. No wonder there is an obesity epidemic.
That is all I have to say for now. Please comment.

TTT
12-13-2004, 01:59 AM
...he says as he drinks a protein shake. :)

fen2zla
12-13-2004, 01:59 AM
Its pretty disgusting. I think I will stick to my Weet-Bix.

TTT
12-13-2004, 02:01 AM
You have weetbix there? Where are you from? I usually don't even like Weetbix, they're too processed for me, I usually get non-toasted muesli or something like that.

KiwiBuilder
12-13-2004, 02:11 AM
According to Fenzla's little blurb, s/he's from Oz. Didn't you know they have Weet-Bix in Oz?

Anyhoo, you're right Fitday don't have our cereals (or much else for that matter), so just create your own entries. Just dial in the macros, give it a name and bingo!

Dirt
12-13-2004, 02:12 AM
Yup, we have all those cereals here, and they're quite popular. I'd be lying if I said they weren't delicious. The only surprising thing about them really is that their "nutritional" (I'll use that term loosely) information isn't that different from traditional children's cereals like Frosted Flakes, Fruit Loops, etc. Trying to keep this relevant to the forum, I'll add that as ridiculous as it sounds cereals like those actually have some place in bodybuilding. They work great for refeeds. That's about the only excuse for eating them really.

TTT
12-13-2004, 02:18 AM
Yep, I guess a bit of sugar doesn't hurt. But they probably have mostly sucrose. Anyway, thanks for the info Kiwibuilder, I'll try that.

Patz
12-13-2004, 04:46 PM
TTT, don't ever buy those cereals. You'll WANT them all the time. They are delicious. The Reese's PB puffs is AWESOME, and I never buy that stuff anymore. I think the sugar content on most of those is something like 25-30g per half-cup.

AstronautJones
12-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Those cereals ROCK!

large_lifter
12-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Speaking of cereal.....sometimes i eat nothing but cereal in a day, when im very busy or lazy. Does anyone know of a cereal that is low in sugar and taste good still? After eating almost an entire box of frootloops i figure diabetes is on its way. Any suggestions?

Vampiro
12-13-2004, 05:13 PM
yeah, kashi go lean is like 6 grams of sugar per cup, and a Post has a ceral called Crabwell thast pretty tasty with 5 grams per cup.

large_lifter
12-13-2004, 05:18 PM
yeah, kashi go lean is like 6 grams of sugar per cup, and a Post has a ceral called Crabwell thast pretty tasty with 5 grams per cup.
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I went to the website and that looks like some darn good stuff. It has 13 grams of protein, 6 grams of sugar and the serving size is an entire cup instead of 1/2 or 1/3. Ill have to give it a try.

TTT
12-13-2004, 10:10 PM
TTT, don't ever buy those cereals. You'll WANT them all the time. They are delicious. The Reese's PB puffs is AWESOME, and I never buy that stuff anymore. I think the sugar content on most of those is something like 25-30g per half-cup.

Oh don't worry, I won't. I don't think they even sell stuff like that here. They do have Frootloops (sp) here, but I've never gotten them. Thank god my mother never bought me that stuff as a kid :)
For the amount of cereal I eat, I've probably got the same problem as you, large_lifter. But I stay away from the sugary stuff.

dave0101
12-14-2004, 09:48 AM
The problem is kids get a taste of that good tasting stuff and don't think they like healthier stuff anymore. My son ate reeses ceriral at a friends, now he would rather eat nothing if he can't have that.

Max-Mex
12-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Sugar makes the world go round!

not_big_enuf
12-14-2004, 10:23 AM
sugar is the devil. the US (where i live) is an overweight fatfest because of sugar, fastfood, and pure laziness. nobody wants to do anything but play video games, WATCH sports and sit on their ass.

oh no, my remote is broke, oh no, my car starter won't work, oh no, i have to walk 3 blocks... i'd rather pay $10 to park...

don't get me started. i'm so sick of my friends complaining their overweight but then when i tell them their diet sucks they say i'm an *******...

geoffgarcia
12-14-2004, 11:27 AM
everything over here is an epidemic because the word "epidemic" makes headlines...

I went to Fitday.com

I came across: "Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs cereal", "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cereal", "Pop Tarts Crunch Cereal", "Frosted oat cereal with marshmallows."

I can't even imagine what these cereals have has in it, the sugar content must be through the roof.if you were on fitday looking at these then why ask what the content and sugar in these cereals is? surely fitday had it logged?

Shao-LiN
12-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Cereals in general are filled with sugar. You do have pancakes and waffles where you live, right? Those are sugar filled breakfast items as well. Obesity is a result of laziness in my eyes. I consider myself slightly fat, and I'll admit, I'm lazy as hell =). I also eat a whole lot if I'm on a break from my cut/bulk phases. The "obesity epidemic" isn't just because we have sugar filled cereal.

Patz
12-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Cereals in general are filled with sugar. You do have pancakes and waffles where you live, right? Those are sugar filled breakfast items as well. Obesity is a result of laziness in my eyes. I consider myself slightly fat, and I'll admit, I'm lazy as hell =). I also eat a whole lot if I'm on a break from my cut/bulk phases. The "obesity epidemic" isn't just because we have sugar filled cereal.

I don't think TTT was blaming it on just cereals. Another big problem America has, but I love, is that we never close. I had a friend stationed in Belgium, and over there nothing was open after 6:00pm. He said it's like that a lot in Europe. No late night fast food, no late night beer runs, no convienience, no 12 ounce cans. His girlfrined was shocked when she came over here and saw how big the cans were. We are a product of our own success and opportunism. Go bigger, service faster, delivery..it's taking its toll.

TTT
12-17-2004, 10:54 PM
everything over here is an epidemic because the word "epidemic" makes headlines...

if you were on fitday looking at these then why ask what the content and sugar in these cereals is? surely fitday had it logged?

I was too shocked to look after I saw the names :)

TTT
12-17-2004, 10:55 PM

Yeah we have pancakes but I haven't actually seen any frozen, "instant" waffles here yet, surprisingly. I used to have those sometimes in Canada. Plenty of sugar, alright.

PizDoff
12-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Those cereals ROCK!

Haha!
I can't look at them without repulsion though.

TTT
12-17-2004, 10:59 PM
I don't think TTT was blaming it on just cereals. Another big problem America has, but I love, is that we never close. I had a friend stationed in Belgium, and over there nothing was open after 6:00pm. He said it's like that a lot in Europe. No late night fast food, no late night beer runs, no convienience, no 12 ounce cans. His girlfrined was shocked when she came over here and saw how big the cans were. We are a product of our own success and opportunism. Go bigger, service faster, delivery..it's taking its toll.

Nope, I think pretty much all types of foods have their high-sugar product examples.
Also, I agree with you there about the closing times, we have close-to-24-hour Burger Kings and Mcdonalds here, and we quite often went out and filled up late, especially because our hall of residence food wasn't the greatest, when I was at uni.

TTT
12-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Haha!
I can't look at them without repulsion though.

Exactly.

NGM
12-18-2004, 07:49 AM
How can anyone eat fast food? Does it really even taste that good?

TTT
12-18-2004, 03:57 PM
It's ok sometimes if you're hungry. :)

wanna be buff
12-18-2004, 07:05 PM
you dont' know if fast food tastes good? whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. yeah it tastes good that's why everyone eats it and gets fat

usertim
12-18-2004, 08:46 PM
How can anyone eat fast food? Does it really even taste that good?

You kidding dude? Now everyone has their own taste, so you just gotta find it. When you do, each bite is like a little taste of heaven. The flavour and texture going through your mouth is indescribable, and absolutely delicious.Damn.

TTT
12-18-2004, 11:15 PM
Except for Mcdonalds. That stuff is just cr@p. ;~o

Shao-LiN
12-19-2004, 12:58 AM
Some fast food is good. I can't believe you haven't had any.

I_feel_nothing
12-22-2004, 04:09 PM

12 ounce cans? haha *as he hammers his 16oz miller lite can*

Teh BDK
12-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Damn, man, pop tarts crunch? How did that slip by me?

I can't believe the rest of the world hasn't gotten addicted to American style trash cereals yet. We've got a long way to go.

See, we make our military super strong with great weapons, while at the same time flooding the rest of the world with our culture of laziness, televised baseball and sugar pop cereals, making the rest of the world a docile plump little turkey ready for carving.

I think I've said too much.

Hold on, someone's at the door.