PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please

bassman09
12-13-2004, 02:08 PM
I am struggling with which direction to take in my training, I am hoping some other opinions might help me make a decision.

First off I should point out that I am 34 yrs old, 6 feet tall, 230 lbs and approx. 30% body fat.

I have always liked lifting weights, ever since I was 18 but due to a bad shoulder injury I have never able to stick with it for more then 6 months at a time. Over the years I have made some okay gains here and there, mostly my arms (17 3/4"). My chest and shoulders have always lagged due to the injury though.

Now that I am 34 I have FINALLY over come my injury. My shoulders are stronger then they have ever been but they, as well as my chest still have a lot of catching up to do.

My dilema is this....

I want to build up some mass in all my body parts but I have a pretty good belly on me, my waist is 40" relaxed.

I have been on a bulk diet and doing a Max-OT style workout for over a month now. I am starting to see some results in all my body parts and my belly feels smaller (key word "feels", I could just be getting better at holding it in, LOL). However the scale tells a different story, I have gained about 6 pounds in the last couple weeks. I would like to think some of it is muscle but I am sure a lot is of it is fat.

Would you start by cutting to get that body fat down first and then do a bulk or would you not worry about the belly, start eating a bulk diet and worry about getting the body fat down later?

I have been eating ALL good foods, my breakdown is something like this...

Daily average

Calories - 2200-2500cal
Protein - 235g
Carbs - 200g
Fats - 38g

Being that it is winter I attempting to convince myself that I shoudn't worry about what the scale says, keep eating the way I have been and working out the way I have been and see where I am in about 4 months. It's just so hard to watch the scale go up and being uncertain if I am doing the right thing or not.

geoffgarcia
12-13-2004, 02:10 PM
first, ya gotta get those fats up. 38 is to low for a person of your size IMHO.
55-75 would be better.

Personally I'd aim to lose the bf, and once your down to 15% then do a bulk to reset your calories, then cut again till ur down around 8-9% then re-access your situation.

Shark
12-13-2004, 04:50 PM
You should be eating 3000 cals a day and much closer to 100 grams of fat. Get EFA's as opposed to saturated fats and eat them at every meal. High protein, moderate carb, and mid-high good fats will get you on track.

MrWebb78
12-13-2004, 04:57 PM
i would suggest a short 4 month bulk, and try to add 10-15 quality lbs. then as summer gets closer you could cut and get rid of the belly you dont like.

as others said, definately up the fat. at 230lbs you will need more than 2500 cals for a successful bulk.