PDA

View Full Version : Home-made Hamburgers

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-13-2001, 06:45 AM
Anyone got any idea how to go about making these?

i'm guessign you need at least some lean mince beef and an egg to hold it together.

any ideas?

Tryska
11-13-2001, 06:52 AM
i dunno, but my mom always made it by taking the ground beef, a packet of onion soup mix and some chopped up green chili and just making patties. with it. I'm thinking if the ground beef is lean then you prolly do want an egg to bind it though, although i've never had a problem.

IceRgrrl
11-13-2001, 06:57 AM
I usually make mine with venison, which is so lean that it really needs something to hold it together...

Most of the time I mix it up with an egg or two, some breadcrumbs, and a little milk plus some seasonings. You want it to feel sticky enough to make a nice patty, but not too sticky or it will fall apart, and not too dry or it will fall apart.

Wizard
11-13-2001, 07:52 AM
I make nice hamburgers with turkey mince.I add spices and onion and sometimes some oats.It tastes quite good.

Allie
11-13-2001, 08:29 AM
Why not just make plain little meat patties:confused:

Budiak
11-13-2001, 11:53 AM
Whats with this spice crap? Its like you dont enjoy the taste of beef. Pansies. I make beef patties with nuffin but beef. If it falls through the grill, I consider it a casualty of war, and it is to be celebrated.

I usually need to make 4 burger patties per person to be served...

Tryska
11-13-2001, 11:59 AM
it tastes good when you make it that way. gives plain old beef some character.

Wizard
11-13-2001, 12:17 PM
Budiak.. spice up your life bro! :D

syntekz
11-13-2001, 07:51 PM
:confused:

It really isn't that hard. I use 96% lean and I dont add anything. I just make it into a patty with my hands and start cooking.
Nothing much to it...

Wizard
11-13-2001, 11:41 PM
You lazy people... tuttut
Adding spices and herbs helps to achieve a more "tasty" result.

Budiak
11-14-2001, 01:14 AM
Its not that I'm lazy, its that I enjoy the taste of regular beef too much to contaminate it with foreign substances. Maybe some minced onion, but I put onion on the finished burger. Bah. Spices. Blow.

Spice up my life? I got your spice right here! (waves fist)

YatesNightBlade
11-14-2001, 02:39 AM
This is what I had last night for tea CD.

I got 500g of LEAN STEAK MINCE (From Tescos .... 3:19) add 2 eggs to a bowl ... wisk and add the mince. Then shape the burgers and Grill them. I sometimes add mushrooms into the mix. This does me for 2 days BTW (250g each night).

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-14-2001, 06:17 AM
Dan, do the eggs not scramble under the heat?

YatesNightBlade
11-14-2001, 07:32 AM
Nope ... not at all. They Key is to not use many. 2 eggs/500g Mince is a good mix.

Pup
11-14-2001, 09:13 AM
Robboe, the only time you have to worry about eggs scrambling is when you are making dessert type things, custards, meringue, etc. The only reason they scramble is cause the dipstick added em all in at once and they curdled, you just have to add em slow at low heat. Anyways, back to the question at hand, if you are really worried about it, just broil the burgers or pan fry at low heat.

Tryska
11-14-2001, 09:15 AM
what pup said.

when you add cold eggs to a hot liquid (like for a custard or a sauce) they will scramble. this is why you temper them. but if you are mixing into hamburger or something, that's not gonna happen.

Prelude
11-19-2001, 10:42 AM
1 lb. ground sirloin
1 egg white
salt
pepper
tabasco (optional)

1.Mix everything, form into patties then grill.
2.On a separate skillet, sautee mushrooms and onions with olive oil for 3 mins.
3.Put the mush/onions on top of the patty and top with fat free swiss cheese(assumining you're eating this without the bun).

what do ya' think?

Chris Rodgers
11-19-2001, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by syntekz
:confused:

It really isn't that hard. I use 96% lean and I dont add anything. I just make it into a patty with my hands and start cooking.
Nothing much to it...

Just like this guy. Don't think my ground beef is that lean, prolly closer to 85%, but then I pop it on the Gearge Foreman and it's quite tasty.