PDA

View Full Version : Raw Eggwhites

emjlr3
12-13-2004, 11:09 PM
im getting damn tired of cooking these butches every damn morning, and ive heard two diff stories......one that people say they are just fine to drink raw and you get the same out of them, which is what my friends nutrtionist said, but there are others who said you cant get th protein out of them or something like that....so what is it, what is the general conscencus guys?

GMCtrk
12-13-2004, 11:19 PM
you can eat them raw...and yes you still get the protein. The problem with this? The eggs could be contaminated with salmonella. They sell egg whites in the store though that have been pasteurized.

Vido
12-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Cooking the eggs denatures the protein, thus making it more bioavailable. It is stupid to even think of consuming raw eggs and unbelievably lazy to not take the time to cook them.

emjlr3
12-13-2004, 11:39 PM
they are so much faster and easier to get down and prepare raw, and yes they are pasturized, and how does cooking em make em more bioavaailable, they are already the most bioavailable protein there is

yet again to diff opinions, im gon ask my boss this weekend he is a chemist and figure he should know about proteins and such

Dirt
12-13-2004, 11:51 PM
they are so much faster and easier to get down and prepare raw, and yes they are pasturized, and how does cooking em make em more bioavaailable, they are already the most bioavailable protein there is

yet again to diff opinions, im gon ask my boss this weekend he is a chemist and figure he should know about proteins and such

The Gimp pretty much sums it up in this thread:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=56129&page=2&pp=25

Pasteurized or not if you're eating the eggs without cooking them, you aren't getting all the available protein.

TheGimp
12-14-2004, 02:05 AM
You guys need to get your facts straight :)

The raw egg white contains the indigestible glycoprotein avidin. In order to make this protein digestible the avidin needs to be denatured by heating. Here is a study about the bioavailability of protein in eggs:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9772141

The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 +/- 0.8 and 51.3 +/- 9.8%, respectively.

As you can see you are getting substantially more protein out of the egg by heating it.

Now, about egg beaters. These have been pasteurized which involves heating the egg whites to about 120 degrees. This is sufficient to denature the avidin.

emjlr3
12-14-2004, 10:38 AM
i haven't read those things so bare with me im posting this before i do, so as long as they have been pasturized that is for the denaturing??? because the egg whites i eat are pasturized, which would mean drinking them raw is just fine for both salmanela and protein

or is it just egg beaters that denature em, cuz i have those available at my d hall as well

Dirt
12-14-2004, 04:52 PM
You guys need to get your facts straight :)

The raw egg white contains the indigestible glycoprotein avidin. In order to make this protein digestible the avidin needs to be denatured by heating. Here is a study about the bioavailability of protein in eggs:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9772141

As you can see you are getting substantially more protein out of the egg by heating it.

Now, about egg beaters. These have been pasteurized which involves heating the egg whites to about 120 degrees. This is sufficient to denature the avidin.

Good info. I was under the impression that pasteurization was not done at a high enough temperature for long enough to fully denature it thus requiring further cooking.

*Edit* This wasn't to argue your point as I really have no clue about egg beaters

[[[----]]]
12-16-2004, 09:52 AM
I read in my nutrition book that mixing eggs with a metal object can denaturalize the protein in the eggs, in other words, they would be useless, so i dont mix them up, I just cook them straight.

emjlr3
12-16-2004, 11:12 AM
then how do u cook em, in a plastic bowl in the micro?? skillets are metal, and everyone uses em so i doubt it would effect the protein, thats how ronnie cooked his so i stick with that

geoffgarcia
12-16-2004, 11:15 AM
I think there is a topic on this every month, just use the search, you'll find an abundance of info

agentplaya1
12-17-2004, 02:06 AM
]]']I read in my nutrition book that mixing eggs with a metal object can denaturalize the protein in the eggs, in other words, they would be useless, so i dont mix them up, I just cook them straight.

ok this is the first I've ever heard of this, anyone else?

TTT
12-18-2004, 11:22 PM
Denaturalize? :)

fen2zla
12-18-2004, 11:42 PM
Denaturalize? :)

Yep, thats right. They turn into synthetic eggs ;)